2009 F350 V10 First impressions

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
when the excursion first came out my parents bought one. I thought that v10 sucked, i wasnted to impressed.

Sounds like some good improvments have taken place.

Common

Established Member
According to Ford, stock they have 362hp and 457ft/lbs trq.

I saw the gains with a Novi 2000 and it was +120hp and +80ft/lbs at like 3k RPM.

It would be a sweet project for a Stang like those two engineers did at Ford.

I saw a guy trying to work the V10 Triton in a Marauder of all things.

Common

Established Member
I agree with the gas comment. In order for you to offset the "savings" you will be doing by getting a diesel, you will have to do a SHIT ton of driving. Gas is cheaper AND the price of the truck is 6k less BECAUSE it uses cheaper fuel. Go figure. New diesels get horrid mileage, I have heard from 12-16 which is horrible for a diesel imo.

V10s are great but resale sucks.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I agree with the gas comment. In order for you to offset the "savings" you will be doing by getting a diesel, you will have to do a SHIT ton of driving. Gas is cheaper AND the price of the truck is 6k less BECAUSE it uses cheaper fuel. Go figure. New diesels get horrid mileage, I have heard from 12-16 which is horrible for a diesel imo.

V10s are great but resale sucks.

My buddy has a new Silverado HD and he's debating if he wants to get into the ECU just to compensate for bigger tires. He was saying that with the new diesel fuel and standards dealerships are getting really strict on the programs people are running with tuners.

DrZacharyus

Banned
We have a 2008 6.4TT and the new transmission as mentioned is AWESOME, consistently keeps the truck in the power-band. How is the V-10 compared to the 6.4TT off the line? I was not impressed by the initial acceleration but after 10 it RIPS. A gentleman with a Spartan tuned F350 ran 13.15 @ 101.5 with just a DPF delete and 250hp tune.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
According to Ford, stock they have 362hp and 457ft/lbs trq.

I saw the gains with a Novi 2000 and it was +120hp and +80ft/lbs at like 3k RPM.

It would be a sweet project for a Stang like those two engineers did at Ford.

Those are numbers for the 2v. No one makes any bolt on power adders for the 3v.

when the excursion first came out my parents bought one. I thought that v10 sucked, i wasnted to impressed.

Sounds like some good improvments have taken place.

That would have been a 2v with a 4r100 and 3.73 gears, definitely not a good combo.

Ironhand

Banned
Those are numbers for the 2v. No one makes any bolt on power adders for the 3v.

That would have been a 2v with a 4r100 and 3.73 gears, definitely not a good combo.

I thought that Whipple makes a kit for both the 2V and 3V V-10 trucks...? Am I wrong?

Thump_rrr

Established Member
I have a 2008 F-250 XLT 5.4L 3V work truck.
With the high price of diesel, the cost of the diesel option, the low annual mileage I put on the truck coupled with 0% financing made this the perfect truck.
I have put 10,000 city miles on this truck in the last 6 months and have had 0 complaints or problems.

DSCN0428.jpg

DSCN0423.jpg

Ironhand

Banned
I would like to see a Built V-10 maybe with alittle more cubes, better cams ported heads long tubes and a 3.4 or 4.0L whipple on top. The top end power would pass 1,000 whp and the torque would be amazing... I would live to put a combo like that into a Cobra or SN-197.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
We used to get lifted V10s with exhaust in on trade when I worked at a dealership and we used to pull them into the bay and just rev them up for a few minutes cause the sound was so awesome with exhaust.

I really haven't heard any V8 that sounds better than the Triton V10. It's so smooth and light sounding but still has the sound of power.

I'll post up a video here shortly of the engine running.. it's soo smooth it's ridiculous. I'm guessing because of the firing order...

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
I have a performance shop right down the road from me "Mountain Thunder Performance"... I plan on taking the truck to the dyno and see what she'll do baseline after about 5,000 miles.

According to the manual, it says change the oil every 7500 miles...... does this sound right?!!?

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
I have a performance shop right down the road from me "Mountain Thunder Performance"... I plan on taking the truck to the dyno and see what she'll do baseline after about 5,000 miles.

According to the manual, it says change the oil every 7500 miles...... does this sound right?!!?

A lot of stuff recommends longer oil change periods. Personally I still do my stuff every three thousand. When I had diesels I went five. Probably over kill but I'd rather be safe than sorry personally. I know on my duramax the manual didn't reccommend changing it until the oil % was down to 20 in the on board data center. Hell that would have been almost ten thousand miles.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Ford announced they were increasing their recommended oil change intervals last year I think, I remember reading about it.

So is the 3v V10 way better than the 2v? I didn't even know they changed the configuration of them.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It's a really noticeable difference, especially when comparing it to the the non-pi 2v. One of the best things about the 3v is the 5r110 backing it up.

Users who are viewing this thread