2009 F-150 spark plug problem

SlowSVT

Established Member
My friend has a 2009 F-150 with a 5.4

He needs to change his plugs but the dealer is warning him removing them can be problematic saying they weld themselves into the head and strip or break when removed.

Is this something he should be concerned with? The early DOHC heads only came with 4 spark plug threads is this the case with this motor? There is 126,000 on it and they were changed at 40,000 miles. Any advice?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Thanks Dustin

My friend Greg is going to be pissed to learn removing the plugs could damage the engine. In "the old days" you just put a socket to the plugs and turn the handle counterclockwise and your done! That Service bulletin say on engines up to 2008 but some something tells me 09's were not miraculously re-design and the problem was solved.

Is this a common problem on these engine? If a mechanic who is not "in the know" and removes the plugs with a socket wrench what are the chances of breaking plugs or stripping the threads in the head? 30%, 50%, 90%, 100% :shrug:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
He should have the updated heads and plugs, which are no different to change than any other modular. It's the early 3Vs that suck.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Dustin

My friend Greg asked me to thank you your link saved him lots of money and big headaches for the mechanics who replaced his plugs!

He printed out the instructions and brought it to his mechanic. Apparently they had experience replacing the plugs on an F-150 and warned him the job was fraught with danger (the last one they did resulted in 3 snapped plugs while trying to remove them). Greg brought him the instructions and left the car overnight so the motor was cold when they worked on it. The mechanic followed the instructions to a "T" and was amazed they came out without incident using the solvent to loosen the plugs and breaking the thread free. Greg told me even the mechanic thanked him stating they now know how to approach this job and not having to explain why a plug change can cost the customer a lot of money. The job cost him $420 rather tham $1000+ and he is very happy.

Russ :beer:

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Dustin

My friend Greg asked me to thank you your link saved him lots of money and big headaches for the mechanics who replaced his plugs!

He printed out the instructions and brought it to his mechanic. Apparently they had experience replacing the plugs on an F-150 and warned him the job was fraught with danger (the last one they did resulted in 3 snapped plugs while trying to remove them). Greg brought him the instructions and left the car overnight so the motor was cold when they worked on it. The mechanic followed the instructions to a "T" and was amazed they came out without incident using the solvent to loosen the plugs and breaking the thread free. Greg told me even the mechanic thanked him stating they now know how to approach this job and not having to explain why a plug change can cost the customer a lot of money. The job cost him $420 rather tham $1000+ and he is very happy.

Russ :beer:

$420 for a plug change? If so they ripped him off. That truck shouldn't have the plugs that break in it.

SlowSVT

Established Member
$420 for a plug change? If so they ripped him off. That truck shouldn't have the plugs that break in it.

Sid, my understanding was that was all labor cost including all the prep for breaking the plugs lose (I never worked on that engine so I don't know how bad the access is to the plugs). They didn't break a single one. Perhaps this was not needed on the 09 but it think they were being cautious. My understanding is the dealer wanted more then twice what he paid and he's had bad experiences dealing with Ford's service department and avoids that place like the plague.

What should a plug change cost in that truck and how long does the job take?

nickf2005

Established Member
The 09's should not have been problematic for the plug change. 04-08 5.4 Triton from what I read. Lucky for me I have an 07 5.4... I just lumped the plug change along with 4 other items and just paid Ford $3,000 to give me a basically new truck back. Don't regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread