2004 Cobra - Oil Change

64T-bolt

Fist Fornicator
Established Member
get any name brand oil and filter you choose. we change oil so much that full synthetic isnt a requirement. never seek oil advice from an amsoil salesman, they're just pedaling dude mary-kay products. . I worked on F/A-18 Hornet engines for 10 years and guess what brand we used? ? ? ? Mobil 1. . . .

In all of my cars, i run Rotella-T which is farm tractor oil. . . it is supposedly one of the few oils left that still has a zinc anti-wear additive in it as it isnt required to meet strict environmental requirements. (keep in mind my motor has been redone/stroked and has sloppier tolerances so i run 15w40)

Last edited:

Black Sex

Established Member
In all of my cars, i run Rotella-T which is farm tractor oil. . . it is supposedly one of the few oils left that still has a zinc anti-wear additive in it as it isnt required to meet strict environmental requirements. (keep in mind my motor has been redone/stroked and has sloppier tolerances so i run 15w40)

Anyone run oil additives such as STP or lucas for this reason? Ive thought about it. I do in my wifes rav4.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
I told you so........

My buddy works at a GM dealer. Cash for clunkers was "fun" according to him. He said you wouldn't believe how long some cars run without oil.........

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
My buddy works at a GM dealer. Cash for clunkers was "fun" according to him. He said you wouldn't believe how long some cars run without oil.........

Get that list.

All those cars that ran without oil for a long time should be the cars our wives/daughters drive.

No more "honey, the red light on the dash came on blah blah" worries anymore.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Anyone run oil additives such as STP or lucas for this reason? Ive thought about it. I do in my wifes rav4.

In higher mileage vehicles, id consider it but in these cars, i wouldnt think its necessary. Ive run the lucas additive in older vehicles ive owned that had a lot of miles and my buddy runs it in his dodge truck with 120k on it. Prob not a bad idea in normal commuter cars but in high performance cars that see close to red line at times, i feel better using a quality oil and just making sure i change it regularly than putting any sort of additive in the oil.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Oil additives should be avoided at all costs.

Each oil company has specifically designed an oil additive package to work with their oil. Changing that in most cases will do more harm than good.

Black Sex

Established Member
Oil additives should be avoided at all costs.

Each oil company has specifically designed an oil additive package to work with their oil. Changing that in most cases will do more harm than good.

I dont know if you have ever owned a toyota, but they have always had noisy valvetrain. The last time I changed the oil in my wifes rav4 I added a bottle of STP additive and it quieted the motor down alittle bit. It has 62K miles so I didnt figure it would hurt. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread