2004 Cobra - Oil Change

merc lover

Established Member
Off topic:
Don't forget to put some type of antifreeze in your intercooler reservoir, seen a lot of guys crack the intercooler that way.
On topic:
I use Mobil 1 5w 30 and motorcraft fl-820 s filters. I might switch to amsoil this year, heard so many good things about it, but I've always had good luck with the Motorcraft filters.

Black Sex

Established Member
actually your hurting your motor, its a proven study that oil does not reach optimum viscosity to properly coat an engines internals till atleast 5,000 miles.

prove it. show me the study.
so when you do your 1st oil change at 1500-2000 miles on a new car that should be real bad shouldnt it.

Last edited:

LS2GTO

Established Member
actually your hurting your motor, its a proven study that oil does not reach optimum viscosity to properly coat an engines internals till atleast 5,000 miles.

actually your wrong, a person did a wear test and found significant amounts of iron in the oil after only 5000 miles of use, a guy used amsoil for 14K miles and it still did significantly better than the mobil one test.

Oh god, can you spew any more BS without backing it up? Just because you say 'there was a study done' or 'some guy did a test' doesn't mean it's correct. I can say 'there was a study done sometime buy some guy that cobrastang161 is a moron'...does that make it true all of a sudden?

Show us these studies or tests and lets see these results, don't just come here bashing everyone saying their wrong and your only fact is that there was a study done...

And that first line might be the dumbest thing I ever heard...if new oil is actually damaging to the engine then why do people buy brand new oil instead of old oil? Frankly, I don't see anyone line up to buy my 5000 mile old oil while it sits and rots in my garage...but I see millions and millions of people buy BRAND NEW oil everyday...you would think that if it was indeed true that new oil damages the engine that SOMEONE would've figured it out and started buying old oil instead of new one.

Last edited:

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
BLAH BLAH BLAH... My dick is bigger than your dick! Who really cares what anyone runs. It is their car! It is oil, and it is a motor! Just run some oil, and you will be good. You can do more damage to your motor by mistreating it than what flippin oil one chooses to run.

I am with sleeper on this. Why try to out think the factory?

Black Sex

Established Member
I read this study that says you should drain your oil and use water. They say its better for your bearings :nonono:

hakeem_svt

Established Member
I use mobil 1 5w20, Change it every 5000 miles... And Motorcraft Filters

Only one time second change oil use Ford racing Filter.

GA Terminator

Established Member
I run 5w 30 redline syn - with a mobile 1 filter. 5-20 or 5-30 syn is a good weight. the brand is up to you, mobile 1 - royal purple, redline, ect ect

Black Sex

Established Member
They did this during cash for clunkers at my dealer and an explorer ran for 30 mins with water as the lubricant.

We had to use a product called silica glass or liquid glass at the dealership I work at. I cant remember the scientific name for it. But they dont run long with that in there. When it gets hot it turns into like a cement or paste. No oil or coolant

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Oh god, can you spew any more BS without backing it up? Just because you say 'there was a study done' or 'some guy did a test' doesn't mean it's correct. I can say 'there was a study done sometime buy some guy that cobrastang161 is a moron'...does that make it true all of a sudden?

Show us these studies or tests and lets see these results, don't just come here bashing everyone saying their wrong and your only fact is that there was a study done...

And that first line might be the dumbest thing I ever heard...if new oil is actually damaging to the engine then why do people buy brand new oil instead of old oil? Frankly, I don't see anyone line up to buy my 5000 mile old oil while it sits and rots in my garage...but I see millions and millions of people buy BRAND NEW oil everyday...you would think that if it was indeed true that new oil damages the engine that SOMEONE would've figured it out and started buying old oil instead of new one.

LOL! This is exactly what i was thinking as i was reading the responses. Glad someone else said it so i didnt have to type all of that! :beer:

Like others said... 5w20 or 5w30 is perfect and run a motorcraft/wix filter. You choose the brand.

I live here in Houston, TX where we hardly ever see below 30* even on the coldest days in winter. I am running Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5w30 in my car with a Wix filter considering our weather and warmer temps here compared to most. It was the first change i did when i bought the car 6 months ago and have put maybe 1500 miles on it since then. Both Wix and Motorcraft make great filter choices and are far superior to the Fram crap! Believe it or not, the wix and motorcraft filters are just as good as the mobil 1 filters they sell for $12. We cut a mobil filter open just to see the difference and its identical inside to the wix/motorcraft filters but painted grey with a mobil sticker on it and twice the price.

Anyway...
GM, mercedes, dodge, chrysler, etc use mobil 1 as the factory recommended oil in their performance cars so i dont see how you can go wrong with it. I personally dont like RP. I think its over rated. Ive heard bad stories about it gunking up and so forth. None of which were my own personal experiences but i just prefer mobil 1. Ive used it for years with no problems and its easy to get when i need it. Amsoil is good stuff but i prefer to run something i can get ahold of quick if in a bind. Noone carries Amsoil around here. You have to order it offline in order to get it. I made a thread about this when i first bought my car and everyone had a different opinions like in every oil thread.

Last edited:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
actually your wrong, a person did a wear test and found significant amounts of iron in the oil after only 5000 miles of use, a guy used amsoil for 14K miles and it still did significantly better than the mobil one test.

who told you its fully synthetic? There are only 3 fully synthetic oils out there

1. Amsoil
2. Penzoil Platinum
3. German Castrol

arguingontheinternet.jpg

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
You are safe running what the factory recommends. If you have to ask this question then I would recommend sticking with what they say. After 3-5K miles send in your oil for analysis and see what the lab says about it.

You are going to get a bunch of opinions in here, but rarely any facts to back them there opinions up.

The alternative is to do your own research using biased oil analysis reports from manufactureres and then you can make your own biased opinions and spew them forth into interweb forums.

Users who are viewing this thread