2004 Cobra - Oil Change

StangsRSweet89

Established Member
Hello all, I am about to make my first oil change to my Cobra and I have read a few different oils that could be used (RP, Mobile 1, Amsoil, etc). Now my first question is which oil would you suggest I go with and which weight? As an FYI I live in the Northeast and winter is fastly approaching if not already here so I want to ensure I put the proper weight in. Thanks guys!

bubblehead93

Established Member
Please do a search here or at any one of the other forums - this has been discussed ad nauseum - also google - alot of good info out there about oil and filters. I would bias towards the internet, some really good sites with comparative data out there which will be slightly less emotional then what you will read on any of the forums IMO.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Hello all, I am about to make my first oil change to my Cobra and I have read a few different oils that could be used (RP, Mobile 1, Amsoil, etc). Now my first question is which oil would you suggest I go with and which weight? As an FYI I live in the Northeast and winter is fastly approaching if not already here so I want to ensure I put the proper weight in. Thanks guys!

Just wondering, do you know what's in the crank case now? (what weight) I don't run my car in the winter but I would think a the lightest would work out the best when it comes to below 32 degrees As far as brands.....well hang-on 'cause your gonna get a lot of opinions! LOL!

remember, there's always a richard in the crowd.........;-)

yellow03cobra

Established Member
your going to hear so many different answers that you will be left confused on what to do.

Just go buy some mobil1 5w20 extended performance and a filter who cares on the brand. fill 6 quarts and forget it. Run it 5k to 7.5k or once a year if lower mileage. If you want check your car the next morning after sitting on a level surface it should be half way between min and max. Can't go wrong with exactly what your car asks for.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
your going to here so many different answers that you will be left confused on what to do.

Just go buy some mobil1 5w20 extended performance and a filter who cares on the brand. fill 6 quarts and forget it. Run it 5k to 7.5k or once a year if lower mileage. If you want check your car the next morning after sitting on a level surface it should be half way between min and max. Can't go wrong with exactly what your car asks for.

why are you guys giving him subpar advise? Mobil one blows, its not full synthetic. Since you live near me and its cold as hell right now, i would run Amsoil 5w20.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
why are you guys giving him subpar advise? Mobil one blows, its not full synthetic. Since you live near me and its cold as hell right now, i would run Amsoil 5w20.

you make my head hurt, it's just a car, wear qualities between the two are minimal.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Mobile 1, either 0W30 or 5W20 or 5W30, can't go wrong. I go to 5K miles inbetween changes due to the responses with other members that sent in their oil to have it checked out.

Black Sex

Established Member
I use motorcraft 5w20. Change it every 3000 miles which is about once a year with 6qts. I dont care if its synthetic or not. I dont trust it enough to go longer than 3000 miles. Just cheap insurance. I would spend 50-100 extra dollars a year if it kept me from buying a $10k motor

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Everyones an oil engineer online.

I would suggest using what the factory recommends.

I myself run the Ford Semi-Synthetic 5W-30 and Ford filter.

When Ford designed these engines, they designed the tolerances around this weight oil, and must meet WSS-M2C153-H, or WSS-M2C205-A Ford standards.

Because of the CAFE standard changes in 03, they changed the standard to 5W-20 in 2004 to meet emissions and fuel economy standards.

Just my $.02

03yellow

Established Member
+1
Clean oil is better than expensive oil. "Consumer Reports"
Motorcraft 5w20 (factory oil)is very inexpensive and is a synthetic blend.

Dont put any purple stuff in your car!!!!

I use motorcraft 5w20. Change it every 3000 miles which is about once a year with 6qts. I dont care if its synthetic or not. I dont trust it enough to go longer than 3000 miles. Just cheap insurance. I would spend 50-100 extra dollars a year if it kept me from buying a $10k motor

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
Ford didn't design an engine around a oil weight, now did they? 0W is BETTER, engine startup temp thickness is greatly reduced. Amsoil is great, if you can't find it mobil one is better than most others.

Amsoil Signature Series 0W-30 being the as best as anyone would need. I'll probably go back to that. German castrol, walmart - look for "made in Germany", Mobil One, Ford "synthetic" (which in fact is a synthetic blend) tried them all. Less ticking on startup with amsoil, got stuck with the Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy - which wasn't too bad. The only theme here being all synthetic.. I'm sold on the benefits of full synth over regular oil.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Established Member
you make my head hurt, it's just a car, wear qualities between the two are minimal.

actually your wrong, a person did a wear test and found significant amounts of iron in the oil after only 5000 miles of use, a guy used amsoil for 14K miles and it still did significantly better than the mobil one test.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo4vGT

Established Member

actually your hurting your motor, its a proven study that oil does not reach optimum viscosity to properly coat an engines internals till atleast 5,000 miles.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Established Member
+1
Clean oil is better than expensive oil. "Consumer Reports"
Motorcraft 5w20 (factory oil)is very inexpensive and is a synthetic blend.

Dont put any purple stuff in your car!!!!

who told you its fully synthetic? There are only 3 fully synthetic oils out there

1. Amsoil
2. Penzoil Platinum
3. German Castrol

TwinTurbo4vGT

Established Member
Here ya go Oil Boy. I said Synthetic Blend. But just to make you look stupid... here ya go. I really dont want to spend time here:

FCSD Chemicals and Lubricants

wrong again buddy, anyone can go on a website that sells oils and picks off oils that say they are fully synthetic when they are not... i forgot which website it was, which i will look for, it lists all the active ingredients in the oils, and motocraft does not contain 100% of Group III, group IV and Group V mineral bases which are fully synthetic.

you dont have to agree with me, if you like it use it, im just stating what i read.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread