2003RedFireVert’s Run-of-the-mill Build

03' White Snake

Established Member
I have a dyno tune session for E85 schedule for Nov 17 (4 days before our son is due to be born). Should he come sooner I will reschedule. The 93 tune I got pretty dialed in. I’m not confident in doing the E85 tune especially why it comes to timing. The fuel part is easy.

I’ll post numbers for 93 and E85. I’m expecting 600ish on pump and maybe 670ish on E.

No other updates or upgrades. We moved into our new house and about to have another baby so funds will be limited for the Cobra.

How much boost you going to run on corn?

22 psi, you should break 700. 24 psi, close to 750. Might have to bump the base pressure for 80’s but is easily attainable. I ran my base at 50 before switching from 80’s.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
How much boost you going to run on corn?

22 psi, you should break 700. 24 psi, close to 750. Might have to bump the base pressure for 80’s but is easily attainable. I ran my base at 50 before switching from 80’s.
I’m sticking with the 3.5 upper for now which is 20lbs. I’ll go to a 3.25 but if I go any lower I need to do head studs. 20lbs and high 600s will be fine for a while.

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
With our son being born any day now and the weather being in the 20s and 30s, I cancelled my dyno tune for this Thursday. I'll reschedule it for April or May. This thing will be going up on jack stands for the remainder of the winter for the following upgrades:

Longtubes
Poly engine mounts
IRS Bushings
Painted Calipers
170 T-Stat
Tie Rods
Fix the fuel filler neck spring, I guess I screwed it up when I had the tank down

I'll update the thread as things get installed.

I also have my E85 base tune ready to go. I want to make sure it runs well enough on E before I drive it down there. Lots to do but plenty of time.

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
B6BF4796-8D81-428B-BD19-5DD776C71122.jpeg
I think I know where my boost is escaping. This is the blower-to-manifold surface. Gasket either failed prematurely or I messed it up on installation. I was just spinning the blower while I had the front of the engine taken apart and felt air. Add this to the list…

03' White Snake

Established Member
Yea that's not right. Did you use the red stuff KB provided with the kit? I use gray RTV on mine. Destroys the gasket every time you separate it but definitely seals it good.

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
Yea that's not right. Did you use the red stuff KB provided with the kit? I use gray RTV on mine. Destroys the gasket every time you separate it but definitely seals it good.
Yes I used the stuff KB provided. I’ll be going with a different sealant this time around. I knew I was down a few lbs of boost according to what KB says it should be at. This has to be why. I’ll do a full inspection when I take the blower off.

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
I’ll be dropping the IRS here in a few days. Im doing bushings, seals, and painting the cradle yada yada

Question - Now is the time to do gears. Who has gone 3.73 or 4.10? I’ll be around 700w. Im sure the 3.55 is the perfect gear but before I put this all back together I want to make sure I don’t regret keeping the stock 3.55.

Also, are the axle seals and bearings for the IRS the same as the SRA? I’m not seeing anything on RockAuto for the IRS bearings and seals for the axles…they look to the same but what do I know.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I’ll be dropping the IRS here in a few days. Im doing bushings, seals, and painting the cradle yada yada

Question - Now is the time to do gears. Who has gone 3.73 or 4.10? I’ll be around 700w. Im sure the 3.55 is the perfect gear but before I put this all back together I want to make sure I don’t regret keeping the stock 3.55.

Also, are the axle seals and bearings for the IRS the same as the SRA? I’m not seeing anything on RockAuto for the IRS bearings and seals for the axles…they look to the same but what do I know.
Keep the 3.55's. They work really well with that power. I've yet to find myself wishing I had a little more gear like I did when I had my centri set up.

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
Here are the updates for most of the stuff I’ve done with winter.

Next is filling tank with E85, loading start up tune, and getting it dyno tuned.

Winter maintenance and upgrades:
- Poly IRS cradle bushings
- Poly Upper and Lower control arm bushings
- aluminum/delrin rear diff mount
- axle seals
- painted front and rear calipers red
- painted IRS cradle, control arms
- new stock replacement front control arms
- poly sway bar end links
- poly sway bar bushings
- 170 degree T stat
- new radiator hoses
- fixed boost leak
- BBK ceramic coated long tube headers and X pipe
- polished tailpipes
- aluminum steering rack bushings
- canton radiator tank
- undercoated the front wheel well liners (didn’t feel spending money on new ones)

I think that’s it…..all on my back, on the cold concrete lol…I’m getting too old for this.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I chuckle a little every time I see "run of the mill" because I know what you're putting into this and it's not run of the mill.

I know what you mean about being greatful for being able to do this. I was rolling my can am back on the trailer by hand last night to get it into better position to strap it down and it occured to me to that I dread the day I might not be able to do that anymore.

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
I chuckle a little every time I see "run of the mill" because I know what you're putting into this and it's not run of the mill.

I know what you mean about being greatful for being able to do this. I was rolling my can am back on the trailer by hand last night to get it into better position to strap it down and it occured to me to that I dread the day I might not be able to do that anymore.
Blower, fuel system, yada yada…run of the mill ;)

It’s hard work but it’s worth it.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
Invest in a a quick jack. Never thought about how much time you really save with the extra space underneath.

A very cheap trick to not laying on a cold floor. Have the wife go to home goods/Ross/Marshalls and have her find you a rug that's a runner for the entrance of your house. Its like laying on a cloud compared to the concrete and in case you spill something, it soaks it up for you.`

I'll post a picture on here in a couple of hours since I have to change the oil and plugs on my car.

Users who are viewing this thread