2003cobra#2's 3.4 Whipple Build

cj428mach

Established Member
I've done this half a dozen never broke anything, once I didn't get the arm clipped in all the way and the arm came off in the tank.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Nice Job enjoying the pics and info
Thank you. I'll be starting on the fuel system tonight. First order is to get the entire car up on jack stands, pull the wheels off and the front drivers and passenger wheel well liners off. Once that is done I'm going to see if I can jump the fuel pump to drain the tank. If I can get that all done tonight it's a win. I'll update tonight or tomorrow with more pics.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Here is a couple pics from tonight. I don't have the biggest garage but it's clean enough to work in.

I used a cordless drill battery to power up the pumps and it's all drained.

I initially put the leads on the wrong part of the wiring harness. I hope I didn't fry the computer. When I was all done I put the key in the ignition to make sure the pumps cycled on and the fuel gauge worked and they do. So hopefully I got lucky and no damage.

I ran a line to my fusion and threw the gas in there lol. Car is up on jack stands and tomorrow evening I'll be able to hopefully drop the tank. I only have like an hour every night to work on this after the family goes to bed. Slow and steady wins the race I guess.
14a44e689f7fafa4f4407c08dffc5f31.jpg
d9941bf1bf4b03f7e8582d8939da921f.jpg
8f18fa8961686db7ce75d5eaebaa03c7.jpg
616ad1ed49c7e1cc94765c574b86afa9.jpg

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Got ya.. I've heard mixed reviews on big 3 racing so I decided to pass.. I'd like to get mine out to Kurgan or Wicked Motorsports in NJ but its too hard to make the trip.

I planned to take it to CRT but I guess he retired. Some guy in Columbus comes highly recommened but again, its kinda far. Cleveland is close...I wish there were some top notch options there.

I'll look in to Dave Guy

Yeah, Brian Turner here in Columbus is probably the one you have heard of. He runs Dyntune Motorsports. He has done all of my tuning and a ton of other guys I know. He definitely knows his shit when it comes to Fords and LSXs.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Yeah, Brian Turner here in Columbus is probably the one you have heard of. He runs Dyntune Motorsports. He has done all of my tuning and a ton of other guys I know. He definitely knows his shit when it comes to Fords and LSXs.
Cool. That place is probably 2 hrs from me so I'll definitely check them out.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Got the tank out. Looks like I am able to reuse the filler neck grommet. Looks to be in good shape and I used plenty of oil to get it out without ripping. Tonight I'll pull the fuel hat taking great care not to damage the sending unit.
b7693ba9eea9072ea4992a8de95e625f.jpg
9a0ec543a20a3ef60095244f69c4ea49.jpg
8f6bf99f650c7090db0c0484bea0ffcc.jpg

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Another thing. The coolant plug interferes with the blower. I can loosen it but I can't get it out. Can I still fill / burp the system with out removing it? Someone recommended a vac system. What's my course of action here? Really not trying to spend $350 on a crossover delete.
a552e23239eeaf9efd3c268934a716d1.jpg

MG0h3

Established Member
Ouch that sucks. Guess you could try and fill through the overflow and burp at the plug. Then suck out any extra from the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

MG0h3

Established Member
If the tank isn’t in I’d get a filler neck grommet. Sucker prob gonna leak in a couple months.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Get the vacuum filler. I bought mine off Amazon. Works great. I was able to find a leak in my son's car in about 30 seconds.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
If the tank isn’t in I’d get a filler neck grommet. Sucker prob gonna leak in a couple months.

I ordered up a new gasket just to be safe. I don't want to screw with the gas tank after it's installed.

RichM1983

Established Member
Check on ebay. I got a crossover plug on there from a guy and it was a nice aluminum piece. It came with a sensor port in the middle so it had a removable plug. You could used that to fill and burp the system. It would be a much smaller hole but should still work.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Check on ebay. I got a crossover plug on there from a guy and it was a nice aluminum piece. It came with a sensor port in the middle so it had a removable plug. You could used that to fill and burp the system. It would be a much smaller hole but should still work.
Yes, I ordered this yesterday.
4c0bb2d8bec2d4cea5bcd600f5c17958.jpg

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Little update today:
Got the Lethal fuel hat installed in the tank and was able to remove / replace the sender without breaking it! The fuel lines are installed, I removed the BAP I had in there, and am ready to install the lethal wiring harness. One thing I noticed is when I installed the pumps into the hat I had to rotate them a certain way so that the barb on the pump would line up with the rubber hose on the hat. That is fine, no problem, but when I went to put the prefilters on the pumps they were lined up kind of wacky. I made sure that the pump wires were away from the sending unit, and I just hope that the sending unit is not going to catch on anything and the prefilters had gone into the baffles ok and they are not all folded up. it's really hard to see down in the tank to be absolute sure. I am waiting on a fresh fill neck gasket and I can reinstall the tank.

Couple small items I will be working on today / tomorrow is installing the K member spacers (1/2"), waiting on my stainless coolant crossover plug, and I am pretty much rounding 3rd base now.

Crossing my fingers that I don't have any fuel, coolant, or oil leaks when I do fire this thing up.

Here are a few random pics:

Users who are viewing this thread