2003 DSG New Owner/Question

MrSwa

Established Member
Yesterday I picked up a 2003 DSG Cobra with 50k miles. Bought it off a guy on this board, 03svt450whp. It's got the usual mods, intake, exhaust, pulley, ported blower/lower intake, tune, etc. Makes 530hp and 580tq. All I can say is holy crap............ This realm of power is a whole new ball game. Even with 315 nitto drs, the rear end has no hope of traction in 1st, 2nd, or sometimes 3rd. Makes me respect power a lot more than previously. You can become kind of numb to the 500hp mark by reading on these boards, but when you actually drive it, it changes you. I do absolutely love this car and am looking forward to when it gets warmer.

I am getting a left bank lean code currently. I'm going to clean the maf and check for boost leaks, but it there anything else I need to look for?

gabe1530

Banned
^ +1. pics!
congrats!

if it was mine, i would get it re tuned.
that way you know everything is solid.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
congrats for a fellow DSG owner. For sure dont go beating on the car until you get that lean issue resolved. It could be something simple like a bad 02 sensor or could be a serious problem. Not worth the risk IMO. Get it to a tuner and make sure everything is up to par.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
i've said it many times and you're right, it's all to easy to be desensitized to the idea of RWHP numbers in the 600, 700, or even 1000. Respecting your car is extremely important. with that said, congrats on the purchase and enjoy the car!

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
Congrats! As said above, bring it to a competent tuner and have him check out the tune to make sure it's not a serious problem.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
congrats for a fellow DSG owner. For sure dont go beating on the car until you get that lean issue resolved. It could be something simple like a bad 02 sensor or could be a serious problem. Not worth the risk IMO. Get it to a tuner and make sure everything is up to par.

This pretty much sums it up.
What`s the actual code # wise?

MrSwa

Established Member
This pretty much sums it up.
What`s the actual code # wise?

P0174 if I remember correctly

The car was tuned by a very respectable local tuner, so I don't think it would be the tune. When I saw the dyno sheet on the car the afrs never went above 11.9. That being said, my plan was already to buy a wideband and install an O2 bung in the x-pipe, then have a dyno run done just to make sure everything's ok.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I still can't believe that I finally have the car I've hunted after for 3.5 years. It's still trying to be nasty here in KY so I only have really crappy cell phone pics. When it gets warmer and I can actually spend some quality time with the paint, I'll prob post up some different ones.

DSG_1st_Day_3.jpg

DSG_1st_Day_1.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congratulations! Welcome to the wonderful world of the Terminator! You've kind of gotten spoiled from the get-go by getting a Cobra already making 530/580. Get used to it before you decide to up the power. And definitely get the code checked ASAP.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
A code P0174 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

•The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
•There could be a vacuum leak
downstream of the MAF sensor.
I`d start by cleaning the maf and checking for vac leaks/loose intake.

Last edited:

mysterio

Established Member
Congrats on the purchase! Many of us in the mid-Atlantic area share your sentiment about better weather....it can't come soon enough!

It's like having an itch that you just can't scratch....it's torture, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread