2003 DSG Build Thread, Project: Strega

Ironhand

Banned
looks great bro...cant wait till this is done! once my car is all set up and tuned with the turbo me you and coy are gonna have to go three wide lol

by the way you need to polish the snout on the whipple like 04sleeper and skarewed

3 wide... haha... Only against real cars... Turbo cars dont scare me anymore... :) lol

Polish the snout... hmm.. nah thats been done before and that would be the only chrome piece in the engine compartment. The only thing chrome I want under the hood is a small RR non slip pulley on the Whipple. Then I might let Chrome slide.

You ever get that leak solved or your harness issue figured out?

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
Yeah I havent heard from you in a while. You either failed to return phone calls or forgot to do so. Hence why I stopped trying to get in touch with you..:shrug:

Been busy getting some things in order and switchin phone plans, shoot veteran phone destroyer such as yourself should understand such things. I'm on the Gubment twice a month paycheck now, I couldn't afford luxuries like working cell service until I finally talked pops into a family plan.

In any case, I'm headed to the track by your house in like an hour, buddy of ours is racing his new meth motor inside a lakeland redneck special 3rd gen. Should be shockingly fast and fuel inefficient.

I'll be headin to your place Monday after my Dr's appointment to meet up with you and Ryan.

3 wide... haha... Only against real cars... Turbo cars dont scare me anymore... :) lol

Great not compromising by using a factory blower, I'm sure you'll be much happier this route. Remember real cars don't race on the street, they race where the bullshit stops at the scoreboard. Hopefully if I can locate a proper valve body for my desired shift pattern I can start hittin the ole 1320 myself.

Last edited:

Terminator-Fox

Soon...
Established Member
Cool build man. Interested to see how this thing runs and the numbers it puts down. Good luck!!

Ironhand

Banned
Update:

The lower intake is at the machine shop getting finalized and fixing some of the issues it had when it was widened.

On to the front drive, the fun stuff.
The 03-04 Cobras take a M8 stud that the lower pulley bolts to and holds the bottom of the timing cover as well.
This is the stock bolt that doesnt work.
IMAG0112.gif

This is what had to replace it. The GT-500 takes a M10-54mm bolt and no one makes one with a stud. So Im using a M10 bolt from Home Depot and Ill use washers if it needs to be set further forward.
IMAG0113.gif

With the custom tabs to hold the pulley bridge set at the depth needed it has a small interference on the back belt drives tensioner. It barely touches so Ill either grind the back of the pulley bridge itself, or where its hitting the tensioner itself.
This is what it looks like.

Where its hitting
IMAG0110.gif

It barely is off as you can see.
IMAG0111.gif

The lower alt bracket needs some work. The heads sit higher so the lower alt bracket doesnt quite reach its position on the lower pulley cage. Ill probably cut the lower part on the alt bracket, extend it and have it welded so it will bolt to its factory location.
IMAG0109.gif

The upper part of it just sits in space right now. So Ill end up having a long tab welded to the timing cover if need be. But Im gonna get a closer look at it on another Cobra before I do anything.
IMAG0108.gif

IMAG0107.gif

The lower mounts right up and Ill make sure its spaced out in its proper location. So I have to make a tab to hold the top of the crank cage.
IMAG0106.gif

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
Update:

I got the lower intake back from the machine shop and dropped off the front timing cover and crank brace so Ill have an update on that by this weekend.

With the lower being widened previously (not by me) it caused some issues. There was a brass fitting screwed into the lower which I didnt like so I had to have it fixed in order to maintain as much use as possible. All while keeping it looking like it was made at the factory. I also have a small gap in the front of the lower intake where the spacer/adapter plate goes to. So that will be fixed as well when it gets dropped off at the machine shop, hopefully for the last time. I also had the front adapter reinforced the correct way and welded solid.

The lower intake is almost complete. I have one old hole to weld closed and that gap to fix as I mentioned before. Ill have the lower solved and completed by the weekend with an update. After that the only thing to remain is the alternator and that should be done the following week. Here is what it looks like now.

Pictures Removed

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
Update:

The lower intake is done unless I want to drill and tap the lower where the plate meets to ensure a better seal. Still debating on the final touches but the majoriity of the work is complete.

These are the lastest pictures. Back tensioner is cleared and on. Water pump pulley is on. Pulley bridge. Lower pulley with crank brace. Aux idler, A/C compressor and water crossover. This was just a test fit to see how everything lined up and its looking good. The only thing left on the timing cover is to figure out the Alternator bracket and how Im gonna get it mounted.

Pictures Removed

Last edited:

DocB

Established Member
Ironhand, just want to make sure I understand correctly.

You are using an OEM 03/04 Cobra timing cover, correct?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
Ironhand, just want to make sure I understand correctly.

You are using an OEM 03/04 Cobra timing cover, correct?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

I don't think that is correct, it's either a navigator, GT or a GT500. I can't remember which :shrug: He will clarify which one :)

Ironhand

Banned
Update:

I noticed some scratches on the case where it looks like the rotors contacted the case. After going back and fourth with Mike at Whipple I sent the 3.4 in today for inspection and possibly a rebuild. Ill keep everyone posted as I know more but the project will move forward in other areas until I get the blower back from Whipple.

EDIT: Here are the pictures of the scratches I was talking about. I should have the blower back by next week hopefully.
IMAG0117.gif

IMAG0118.gif

IMAG0119.gif

Last edited:

crazydave01

New SVT Poster Child
Established Member

All I can say is I feel your pain and excitement. I wish I could have helped more for you in the beginning. I will get you some info on what I did with the alt bracket. I will pm you my phone #. It took me one entire winter to get mine together !

Mine put down 412 RWHP and 413 RWTQ with a stock eaton, stock navi heads, cams and stock exhaust. You are gonna eat up some tires !!!!!!

Ironhand

Banned
All I can say is I feel your pain and excitement. I wish I could have helped more for you in the beginning. I will get you some info on what I did with the alt bracket. I will pm you my phone #. It took me one entire winter to get mine together !

Mine put down 412 RWHP and 413 RWTQ with a stock eaton, stock navi heads, cams and stock exhaust. You are gonna eat up some tires !!!!!!

You were kinda tired up in the beginning so no worries there. I just took an idea and took it to the next level. I dont have an entire winter to get this thing up and running. I have 5 weeks to get it done, so Ive slowed it down alittle bit to make sure it goes together the right way and just not right now.

I confused the hell out of Steve @ Tousley Ford when I started ordering parts for this thing. lol. Not mention the delay with the Whipple. Kinda mad about that but if it checks out as normal then Ill have the piece of mind that it wont come apart on me and cost me alot of money to fix it.

Last edited:

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
Cory, The build looks great. A long way from the "painting the Eaton" years ago. Good to see ya kickin' some arse and git'n it done. So.. when is the IRS going on Ebay.. ;)

Ironhand

Banned
Cory, The build looks great. A long way from the "painting the Eaton" years ago. Good to see ya kickin' some arse and git'n it done. So.. when is the IRS going on Ebay.. ;)

I remember those days. Then it turned into porting, Nitrous, SRA, etc.

The IRS is only staying for now because Im already behind on this thing and I can only tackle so many projects at once. lol

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
I remember those days. Then it turned into porting, Nitrous, SRA, etc.

The IRS is only staying for now because 'Im already behind on this thing and I can only tackle so many projects at once. lol

Still, It is great to see the build. Keep up the momentum.

Users who are viewing this thread