2003 Cobra New Clutch STIFF

svtcobra440

Established Member
I got my Cobra 5 years ago, and it had a super stiff clutch. So stiff, you had to use leverage from the back of the seat, and it lifted my butt out of the seat. Three years went by, and the clutch went out, so we put a brand new Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and Pressure plate in, as well as new flywheel. Got in the car, and pretty much the same stiffness. My brother happens to own a 2003 SVT Cobra also, (identical cars) and I almost put my foot through his firewall because it was so soft and nice. His had a very nice spring in the motion and it just felt so good. When I get in my car again, its all one solid pressure all the way down to the firewall. There isn't that point when you get through the friction zone where it gets softer. The clutch has gotten hot twice in the city, and I don't have enough free travel and the car gets stuck in gear, or wont go into gear. When I started to really look into how a clutch works, it appears to me the only problem can be in the pressure plate or throw out bearing, which were brand new 5k miles ago. I heard Cobras were stiff, but my brothers 03 Cobra is butter compared to mine. Any ideas of what else it could be!?

Ironhand

Banned
Which clutch are you using and with what mods?

Do you have a firewall adjuster and quadrant etc?

svtcobra440

Established Member
The clutch is the Centerforce Dual Friction. The mods are simple bolt ons (catback, 2.8 pulley with a program). Thats about it. Less than 450 horsepower. There was an aftermarket quadrant in the car when I got it, but had no firewall adjuster, which made no sense. So I went to Ford and got a factory quadrant (my brothers is factory too) thinking with more leverage (bigger quadrant) the clutch may soften up a bit. Ha. Try again. I am getting ready to check to see how smooth the throwout bearing slides on the input shaft, (I was told it should travel freely just an inch or less. One other thing, I forgot to add that occasionally the car makes a noise when I disengage the clutch that sounds like..I dont know a racoon under the car? Alot of people said "your throwout bearing is bad" when they heard it. It was brand new less than 5k miles ago..so I dont know why that noise is occasional. Maybe the throwout is hanging up on the input shaft?

Last edited:

joeys01drptp

Established Member
I had this same exact problem after a new clutch install. My problem was the clutch cable binding and almost breaking. Once I swapped cables, problem solved... I have a spec 3+, fiore firewall adjuster and quadrant and oem ford clutch cable btw. My pedal feels lighter than stock right now.

svtcobra440

Established Member
Okay thanks! I am going to try the clutch cable swap sometime this week. I unhooked the cable and pushed on the pedal and it was smooth, and I checked the travel on the fork and the throwout bearing and it was smooth. Put them back together, tightened up the cable a little more to get more disengagement, and I atleast have a friction zone, though its still stiff! It sounds like now a creeky door is opening when I disengage the clutch. My next steps are putting a clutch cable in, if that doesnt solve it, tranny is coming out.

Ukfox89

Established Member
my pedal was doing the same thing and i switched out the TOB and cleaned it all up in there and replaced my sleeve on my input shaft and the clutch feels a million times better. slips in and out of gears better and is even easier to shift between power shifts.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
it is highly recommended to go with the aftermarket quadrant/firewall adjuster if you have an aftermarket clutch. (some manufacturers even tell you that you will need one with their clutch kits)

so, unfortunately you sort of went backwards by buying the ford factory quadrant setup

but hopefully your new cable will help out somewhat. it really can make a huge difference in pedal feel. i was amazed at how light my pedal felt after installing a new cable a couple of months ago.

best of luck with it

BigRedShaolin

Established Member
The clutch is the Centerforce Dual Friction. The mods are simple bolt ons (catback, 2.8 pulley with a program). Thats about it. Less than 450 horsepower. There was an aftermarket quadrant in the car when I got it, but had no firewall adjuster, which made no sense. So I went to Ford and got a factory quadrant (my brothers is factory too) thinking with more leverage (bigger quadrant) the clutch may soften up a bit. Ha. Try again. I am getting ready to check to see how smooth the throwout bearing slides on the input shaft, (I was told it should travel freely just an inch or less. One other thing, I forgot to add that occasionally the car makes a noise when I disengage the clutch that sounds like..I dont know a racoon under the car? Alot of people said "your throwout bearing is bad" when they heard it. It was brand new less than 5k miles ago..so I dont know why that noise is occasional. Maybe the throwout is hanging up on the input shaft?

YO BRO IF THE SOUND U HEAR WHEN U ENGAGE UR CLUTCH IS A HIGH SCREEEECH...SAME HAPPENED 2 ME...ITS UR THROWOUT BEARING HAD TO GET NEW CLUTCH N GET FLYWHEEL SHAVED....GOODLUCK:rockon: ALSO A BETTER THROWOUT BEARING SLEEVE A MUST

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

You want your problem solved?

Factory cable
Fiore firewall adjuster
UPR triple hook quadrant

Put cable on middle hook on the quadrant and adjuster will be about half way out or so, but you need to adjust it to how you like it and you don't want too much preload on the TOB.

the TOB you have now is probably about worn out or soon to be and why you are hearing squeal. having a firewall adjuster will help that and probably eliminate it for a time, but I think the damage is probably already done. Sounds like you do your own work. Might as well get a ford racing TOB as well and swap it out to do it all right.

I have used these parts for yrs and have NEVER had an issue. I also use the LDC freeplay kit. It does add a little tension to the cable, but it is still very light compared to stock. It will push the clutch fork as far back as possible based on your adjustment. More of a peace of mind that the TOB isn't riding on the PP more than it needs to.

svtcobra440

Established Member
I am waiting on a clutch cable, but I do have another question. What makes a factory cable better than an aftermarket cable? Why isnt a cable a cable? I had the cable unhooked from the transmission end yesterday, and the pedal was still attached to the cable and I though, I will push the pedal to see if I feel any snagging of any sort, and it was super smooth. What makes a factory cable better? Just wondering.

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
Your aftermarket cable could be internally fraying, or the inside of the cable housing could have partially melted due to heat and being made from inferior materials. I had the same problem and a stock cable was the fix. If your throwout bearing is still squeaking I would replace it with a Ford one or D&D performance one.

svtcobra440

Established Member
Salvation! or..Solution!?

Hey guys! Sorry its been awhile since you've last heard from me..but I finally got around to working on my Cobra (not like I'm driving it anywhere, I live in Ohio). But I am blown away. The cable DID fix it!!! This is a problem we've had for 5 years now! We've put a Centerforce dual friction clutch in it, new pressure plate, even a new flywheel. We did indeed even change cables! This is the fourth cable I've had in the car since I've owned it in the five years, but none did anything even close to this OEM Ford cable. The cable that came out of the car wasn't even that stiff..anyhow just thought I'd follow up and let you all know that this has been a mystery in the small town where I'm from. All the mechanics, and my own friends who have sports cars were dumbfounded when I described the symptoms and they all said, "I don't know..let me know when you find out!" Thank you all for the help!

p.s. I did go with the Fiore Firewall Adjuster (like TRBO VNM told me to) also. Haven't adjusted much with it..but I will get the car out next weekend when it warms up.....to 40. lol

rockyreggie25

Hey im having the EXACT SAME problem you had. Im basically standing on my clutch. Its a leg workout especially in traffic. I replaced the clutch and flywheel hoping that would change everything but it just got worse. It get so stiff that it wont go into gear and gets stuck in a gear sometimes because i cant disengage the clutch. So i was wondering did the oem cable make your clutch stiffness disappear?

svtshadow

Banned
Hey guys! Sorry its been awhile since you've last heard from me..but I finally got around to working on my Cobra (not like I'm driving it anywhere, I live in Ohio). But I am blown away. The cable DID fix it!!! This is a problem we've had for 5 years now! We've put a Centerforce dual friction clutch in it, new pressure plate, even a new flywheel. We did indeed even change cables! This is the fourth cable I've had in the car since I've owned it in the five years, but none did anything even close to this OEM Ford cable. The cable that came out of the car wasn't even that stiff..anyhow just thought I'd follow up and let you all know that this has been a mystery in the small town where I'm from. All the mechanics, and my own friends who have sports cars were dumbfounded when I described the symptoms and they all said, "I don't know..let me know when you find out!" Thank you all for the help!

p.s. I did go with the Fiore Firewall Adjuster (like TRBO VNM told me to) also. Haven't adjusted much with it..but I will get the car out next weekend when it warms up.....to 40. lol

I guess you did not read his last post?

2012Ridge

Established Member
Sorry to bring this back to the front but can anyone tell me where to get

Fiore firewall adjuster. I can't seem to find it anywhere.
If it is no longer available whats a good alternative.
I actually got a stress fracture on the left side of my foot from how stiff this thing is.

Thank you for any help in advance.
John

Users who are viewing this thread