2003 Cobra New Clutch STIFF

oldmodman

Established Member
It looks like the Fiore is no longer being made and all old stock is gone.

Lethal has a similar replacement http://www.lethalperformance.com/sh...ce-1982-2004-mustang-clutch-adjuster-kit.html

And Maximum Motorsports makes one too. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Firewall-Adjuster-for-Mustang-Clutch-Cable-1982-2004-P500.aspx

MM's quadrant http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Aluminum-Clutch-Quadrant-1982-2004-Mustang-P503.aspx

Plus here's a tip. All cables need lubrication once in a while. I use a motorcycle cable pressure luber to give my clutch cable a squirt now and then. I unhook the cable from the transmission and squirt cable lube in from that end and wrap a towel around the top end at the firewall to pick up the dirty overflow. I usually lube the quadrant pivot at the same time.

ab saleen

Established Member
I had the same issue. New clutch and the pedal was so stiff I had to put my body weight on it and push off the seat. I couldn't find the Fiore firewall adjuster either. I read oem cable was the way to go so I did. I purchased a upr quadrant triple hook. Not sure the triple hook really matters. Got a firewall adjuster I believe Upr. The design seemed decent. Simple twist click to adjust. I had some issues in the set up. When I placed the cable on the quadrant and ran it down to the pitch fork I didn't have enough cable. The firewall adjuster couldn't be threaded all the way to make more room due to the metal on the inside of the firewall. I would had to cut a bigger hole to get the adjuster all the way in the firewall hole. The only way to get flush was the thread the adjuster more tan half way out. I ended up placing the cable on the second hook on the quadrant. I'm sure unorthodox. That gave me the correct length to reach the pitch fork on the tranny. From there I was able to adjust the clutch from the firewall. The clutch is so much lighter now it's night and day. Shifting is so much smoother. oem cable, decent adjuster with the click design and any steed, double hook triple hook will work fine. Unfortunately I still have the issue of the car not wanting to go into gear once it warms up after 15-20 min at a dead stop. Gets a little rough between shifts too. Like butter on cold start. Read it might be the input shaft.

Dan03svt

Hey guys just replaced stock quadrant and cable clutch was a bit stiff before but wasnt really an issue but soon as i changed cable and quadrant its almost undrivable any ideas ??

hotcobra03

Established Member
Hey guys just replaced stock quadrant and cable clutch was a bit stiff before but wasnt really an issue but soon as i changed cable and quadrant its almost undrivable any ideas ??

I just dealt with this issue also..after snapping 2 heavy duty and 2 stock..

what isnt in box is instructions on new cable..it needs to be lubed before install..

when its I stalled there is friction...

you can unhook from fire wall.and fork..and spray wd 40 into top and move cable in and out..spray untill its coming out other end..

your pedal will feel softer than a hydraulic set up to push..

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I just dealt with this issue also..after snapping 2 heavy duty and 2 stock..

what isnt in box is instructions on new cable..it needs to be lubed before install..

when its I stalled there is friction...

you can unhook from fire wall.and fork..and spray wd 40 into top and move cable in and out..spray untill its coming out other end..

your pedal will feel softer than a hydraulic set up to push..

If anyone would know, it's the guy with over 300K miles on his car! Where is she now?

Users who are viewing this thread