2003 Aniv Terminator (4k mi) - Thoughts on Mods?

BtownB

Established Member
Bought her from the original owner this year. Love being back in a stock cobra. No hassles or bs to deal with like the cars in my sig. The car just works and its still very fast.
good points...hard to believe it's almost 20yrs old...still not slow

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Personally, if I bought a 4K mile 2003/2004 Cobra, I’d keep the factory wheels (Ford designed the wheel perfectly) and go with an MGW shifter, catback, mid-pipe, Metco 4-piece idler set, RAI, 2.90 upper, tune, maybe a throttle body, and lowering springs. That would put me at around 450whp and 475wtq. Very safe setup that would easily handle around town cruising and long mile trips. Whatever YOU do, I’m sure you’ll be very happy. That’s all that counts. I just tossed out what I’d do.

BtownB

Established Member
Personally, if I bought a 4K mile 2003/2004 Cobra, I’d keep the factory wheels (Ford designed the wheel perfectly) and go with an MGW shifter, catback, mid-pipe, Metco 4-piece idler set, RAI, 2.90 upper, tune, maybe a throttle body, and lowering springs. That would put me at around 450whp and 475wtq. Very safe setup that would easily handle around town cruising and long mile trips. Whatever YOU do, I’m sure you’ll be very happy. That’s all that counts. I just tossed out what I’d do.
CB, that is pretty much what I plan to do to a T...I may try to slide a 10 inch factory look wheel but that is it

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The wider replica rear wheel is a popular choice. (y) You're going to enjoy your Cobra going forward.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Congrats!!!! One thing ill say is don't over mod it, unless thats what you want.
As the car is right now, it will last forever and you could drive it accross the country if you wanted. Keep that in mind!!
Very appealing to me - maybe not to others. I still like to have a good CAR. Not just a 1 trick pony that I cant actually enjoy on trips and such. Modded Cobra's dont excel here.

A nice sounding exhaust system (bassani/borla/magnaflow) can go a long way to satisfying the mod bug, without sacrificing longevity of the engine, clutch, rearend ect.

If you just want a fast cruiser with no worries then be weary of adding a ton of mods.

i agree and think it's a good philosophy for someone who wants to regularly drive the car. as you say, it's very appealing to feel like you can just jump into your terminator and drive cross country if you like.

i've been able to average about 1,000 miles per month for the last 18 years in my terminator and i attribute a lot of it to keeping it basically stock, esp the blower and fuel system. requires maintenance, but any sports car that actually gets driven does. how does the old saying go? fast, cheap, reliable... pick two. lol

i will go a bit further though and say these cars can still remain extremely reliable even if you up the power a little bit with a smaller pulley - as long as it is tuned properly. the "fun factor" and speed compared to stock is like night and day, with much of the torque increase coming in under the curve. you gain (lose) a full second in quarter-mile elapsed time just by doing it.

so imo that's the sweet spot for quickness and reliability in a dd cobra, just as the old adage went 20 years ago when these cars first came out: CPIE.

BtownB

Established Member
For now, I ordered new tires (the original tires look ok but they're 20yrs old) and keeping the original wheels...what size spacer/s would make the wheels flush? Would I need to make any other changes?

PcChip

Established Member
the original tires look ok but they're 20yrs old
I decided I should keep the original tires mounted to the original wheels, in case I sold it maybe it would make it more valuable to whoever buys it? who knows, but it made it easy for me to justify buying new wheels with the new tires :D

LS WUT

Established Member
For now, I ordered new tires (the original tires look ok but they're 20yrs old) and keeping the original wheels...what size spacer/s would make the wheels flush? Would I need to make any other changes?
I put a 1 inch spacer in the rear for mine on the stock 17x9.

Attachments

• E7D905FA-AFFD-4D8B-B61C-BED64BF7C2AB.jpeg
    E7D905FA-AFFD-4D8B-B61C-BED64BF7C2AB.jpeg
    571.7 KB · Views: 71

BtownB

Established Member
I decided I should keep the original tires mounted to the original wheels, in case I sold it maybe it would make it more valuable to whoever buys it? who knows, but it made it easy for me to justify buying new wheels with the new tires :D
I thought about keeping them...everyone says keep the original battery etc etc but this car is a sentimental car for me and I don't plan to ever sell it so now I'm storing tires for the next 20+ years? I'm going to toss them and not clutter the garage space any further

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've always been a Bilstein fan. Companies like Vorshlag always say to go with the monotube design. The only experience I have with Konis were a set of the orange STR.T's on an 06 convertible. They were decent for the price point.

Unless yours are currently leaking you'll probably be ok since they only have 4k on them.

BtownB

Established Member
I've always been a Bilstein fan. Companies like Vorshlag always say to go with the monotube design. The only experience I have with Konis were a set of the orange STR.T's on an 06 convertible. They were decent for the price point.

Unless yours are currently leaking you'll probably be ok since they only have 4k on them.
Yeah I'm not as concerned about cost as just keeping the stock ones with old fluid etc and running into issues down the road...I had the cost for coilovers in my head until I did some more looking into it anyway so it's just down to which brand...appreciate the feedback

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yeah I'm not as concerned about cost as just keeping the stock ones with old fluid etc and running into issues down the road...I had the cost for coilovers in my head until I did some more looking into it anyway so it's just down to which brand...appreciate the feedback
I have coilovers and really like them. I mostly wanted them so I could put the ride height right where I want it. My car came with H&R Race springs and they were a good set up.

Users who are viewing this thread