2003 Aniv Terminator (4k mi) - Thoughts on Mods?

BtownB

Established Member
I'm about to take possession of a 4k mile 10th aniv Cobra (100% stock)...want to do some mods to improve the car but not wreck the value...thinking about the following:

Exhaust - Bassani catted x-pipe, Borla Stingers, maybe longtubes (american racing or kooks)

Intake - JLT

Drivetrain - MGW short shifter

Suspension - Springs and Shocks (was thinking coilovers but hearing springs and shocks may suffice), camber caster plates not an option, do not want to drill in to the shock towers

Engine - Pulley/Tune?

Thanks, Brian

LS WUT

Established Member
Seems about right. I can’t think of many times I bought a car with low mileage that I wanted to mod and worried about value. From the list of mods it sounds like you can easily remove, aside from Longtubes for ease on selling stock at a later date. Mods seem about right for a set up for daily driving, or cruising. Goodluck with your Cobra. Keep us updated.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I believe they make a 3 bolt caster/camber plate for these cars. But if you don't get too aggressive with the drop you might be able to get it in specs with the stock stuff.

My opinion would be forget the headers. Not a lot of power to be gained there for the price. Do the rest of the exhaust so it sounds like you want. Definitely get a pulley and tune. That will wake the car up and make it more fun to drive. I'd stick with the JLT RAI if you get an intake. Easier to deal with for maintenance.

Make sure you get the catted X pipe if you run Stingers. They're headache inducing with an O/R pipe.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
First, congratulations on finding such a low mile 10th Anniversary Cobra. What color?

As far as mods, you have lots of options and pretty all will work fine. I would not spend money on LT headers. They're not easy to install and you'll get a minimal power gain. Installing headers for the sound benefit is, IMO, a waste of money. Stingers are going to be loud. Is that what you want? If so, those with the Bassani X-pipe will be nice, but there are lots of other options/combos as well.

JLT RAI is a good one to do. You don't need a CAI (fenderwell mounted filter).

MGW shifter is highly recommended!

If you're driving this Cobra on short trips on weekends (primarily) don't waste your money on coil-overs unless you really want the adjustment capability. Go with lower springs. The factory shocks should be fine, but you have options there.

I would recommend a 2.90 upper pulley with a 4-piece idler set. 2.80/2.76 optional. Metco makes a great idler (dual bearing recommended). The factory idlers are crappy stamped steel and have been known to come apart. Billet idlers look nicer and solve that issue.

Select a good, recommended tuner. Many options there.

If you're going to be racing at the track, there are other supporting mods I'd recommend, but I'm guess you're not going to be doing that.

You might want to browse HERE in my Terminator FAQs for more info.

Bob

P.S. - Post some photos of your 10th Anniversary Cobra when you get it.

BtownB

Established Member
Appreciate everyone's feedback...some good stuff...the car was my uncle's (color is silver metallic) so the plan would be to never sell it but the more thought I've put into it the more I want to do light mods verse going all in

BtownB

Established Member
Appreciate everyone's feedback...some good stuff...the car was my uncle's (color is silver metallic) so the plan would be to never sell it but the more thought I've put into it the more I want to do light mods verse going all in
I'm in Northern Virginia so looking at JPC, yes car will just be for weekend cruising/Cars n Coffee etc

hotcobra03

Established Member
Go long tubes,,it has a unique sound alone,,

Only sound clips I came across were leaving ford show,,

You can hear the difference,

Not that I will need to ,,I did keep my old parts for if years later.
I was around 5k miles when parts came in ,,luckily it's a driveway swap. Header install time is more based on skill level ,I'm thinking this cost is why most say it's not worth it.

Header with matching mid pipe than install could be 2 days labor. Not cheap.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
By the way, in the event you don't already know this, the before and after of a pulley/tune is quite an experience. I went from 365rwhp/380rwtq to 454rwhp/480rwtq (2.90 upper and tune) and was blown away. That's what an added 90whp (and 100wtq) will do for you. You're going to love your Cobra.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Is it a coupe?

Starting with "light" mods makes a lot of sense. You'll spread your money out vs. potentially investing in mods you either don't need or end up not wanting. I recommend that you do the pulley/tune thing and drive the car for maybe the summer. By then you might want even more power. Maybe new wheels. It can be addicting. LOL. Then maybe in 2023 consider a blower change, but plan on more money for fuel system supporting mods. Slow.....is best, modifications wise.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
no doubt about it - the the old moniker "cpie" is the best and most cost-effective step to improve your terminator driving experience... like night and day over stock.

enjoy!

BtownB

Established Member
First, congratulations on finding such a low mile 10th Anniversary Cobra. What color?

As far as mods, you have lots of options and pretty all will work fine. I would not spend money on LT headers. They're not easy to install and you'll get a minimal power gain. Installing headers for the sound benefit is, IMO, a waste of money. Stingers are going to be loud. Is that what you want? If so, those with the Bassani X-pipe will be nice, but there are lots of other options/combos as well.

JLT RAI is a good one to do. You don't need a CAI (fenderwell mounted filter).

MGW shifter is highly recommended!

If you're driving this Cobra on short trips on weekends (primarily) don't waste your money on coil-overs unless you really want the adjustment capability. Go with lower springs. The factory shocks should be fine, but you have options there.

I would recommend a 2.90 upper pulley with a 4-piece idler set. 2.80/2.76 optional. Metco makes a great idler (dual bearing recommended). The factory idlers are crappy stamped steel and have been known to come apart. Billet idlers look nicer and solve that issue.

Select a good, recommended tuner. Many options there.

If you're going to be racing at the track, there are other supporting mods I'd recommend, but I'm guess you're not going to be doing that.

You might want to browse HERE in my Terminator FAQs for more info.

Bob

P.S. - Post some photos of your 10th Anniversary Cobra when you get it.
Lotta info there...thanks!

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Lotta info there...thanks!
He might have a little more info on his site too...haha. The car will be a way different car after those mods. Definitely more fun too. Enjoy. By the way, do whatever you want to do to YOUR car. Doesn't matter the mileage.

BtownB

Established Member
It's funny...I've never been conflicted about modding a car before...the current environment with the crazy numbers had me second guessing...even though I don't intend to sell

BtownB

Established Member
By the way, in the event you don't already know this, the before and after of a pulley/tune is quite an experience. I went from 365rwhp/380rwtq to 454rwhp/480rwtq (2.90 upper and tune) and was blown away. That's what an added 90whp (and 100wtq) will do for you. You're going to love your Cobra.
Never owned one (all foxbodies to date)...but been following things...not at the forum level of course

BtownB

Established Member
Is it a coupe?

Starting with "light" mods makes a lot of sense. You'll spread your money out vs. potentially investing in mods you either don't need or end up not wanting. I recommend that you do the pulley/tune thing and drive the car for maybe the summer. By then you might want even more power. Maybe new wheels. It can be addicting. LOL. Then maybe in 2023 consider a blower change, but plan on more money for fuel system supporting mods. Slow.....is best, modifications wise.
I had a much different car built in my head...this is a recent change to lightly modded...maybe get another that is already built :)

BtownB

Established Member
Is it a coupe?

Yes it's a coupe...I definitely want to chose mods wisely...I have a few other cars I'm bouncing between (1950 Ford Custom Delux Vert and my '09 135i) but at least my DD is where i want it...I haven't driven this Cobra since it was new so I'm just looking forward to driving it in general

Users who are viewing this thread