2001 Cobra Cam choice help

skyeking

just sum random cobra fan
Established Member
ok, i wondered cause he mentioned that they weren't necessary for the 106100's, thx

Last edited:

skyeking

Established Member
01 cobra w/ 106300 comp cams

just got my cobra back on the road today, at 95k miles did a full upper rebuild with a 106300 comp cam kit, ford racing parts (lifters, rockers, timing set) SCT chip + livewire TS monitor, and a dynotune. currently producing 281HP and 282fpt. She already featured a JLT cold air intake, Flowmaster catbacks, coilovers, and a T-56 six speed. The car sounds amazing with a fairly moderate lope u can feel in the drivers seat. the power increase on paper does not sync up with what i found, it exceeds it by far! the damn thing got waaaay faster. when she hits 4g all bets are off, it forces me into the back of my seat! if u have the money ($ is the important part) and crave that sound and power and forced air is not the way for you, this is all you. this car is NOT for sale. lol

skyeking

Established Member
Yes, i know its not an incredible increase but, the power starts to come on a lot earlier and a lot harder. while my max torque is still hitting at about 4k she is now producing about 270fpt at just after 2 1/2k. once she is broken in I'm going to raise the rev limiter to 8 since we're not seeing the hp gains start to drop off till about 6500rpm. much wider power band. im happy with the results, not so much the parts cost $4k~ but we didn't cut any corners and replaced and upgraded EVERYTHING we could get to, lol. I hope to get another 100k miles out of her without a worry.

oh, and she sounds amazing, i wasn't aware of how much louder it would be!

Last edited:

bullitt 736

Established Member
Maybe it me but that seems way low. If that's all I can expect out of the 4V I'll be installing then I'll ditch that plan and go with TF 2v heads and some nice cams.

shurur

Established Member
My usual 2 cent post.
My gleanings from previous Na svt posts...and
Na svt fixed it for me.

I've been calling it the recipe..
#############
General consensus for NA ~320 RWHP with 99-01 DOHC C-Head 4.6L:
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydraboost and WP pulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
Tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

360-370 RWHP:
106100/106060 comp cams properly degreed.
short runner
Tune
#################

90mm plastic lightning MAF, 39# injectors and FP, long with tune will get you more...but is generally prep for stroker or bb stroker. That's just my take from what I've read.

Na svt stresses the plastic maf.
Sri for cams is 10..10.5 (search) for cams above....and shorter for 7k rpm cams like 106400.

As I understand it, porting the intake is worthless.
Search.

Bmeagher's and Doc Hawk mods are ones to take note of.

Thanks na svt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Yes, i know its not an incredible increase but, the power starts to come on a lot earlier and a lot harder. while my max torque is still hitting at about 4k she is now producing about 270fpt at just after 2 1/2k. once she is broken in I'm going to raise the rev limiter to 8 since we're not seeing the hp gains start to drop off till about 6500rpm.

Raising the limiter to 8k will do nothing to increase power as the intake manifold will not allow it (power) to increase beyond 6500rpm. I suggest you find out why the power is low before taking it to 8k regardless of what intake manifold is on it.

skyeking

Established Member
Raising the limiter to 8k will do nothing to increase power as the intake manifold will not allow it (power) to increase beyond 6500rpm. I suggest you find out why the power is low before taking it to 8k regardless of what intake manifold is on it.

well shit i bought the parts, and watched the dyno, thats what i got, hell what should i expect? i never was a "car guy" built houses growing up, always wanted a cobra. if we had car probs we had someone fix it. those #'s are straight off the printout, all i know is the sob is way faster than before, im not trying to troll, just truly ignorant. what should i be looking for? are my tune results bogus? did i **** up the whole thing? is my shit not degreed right? idk. all i got is book learning i thought was right (free invitation to set me straight pls!) what did i do wrong? i am only getting by through the kindness of others, am i getting ripped? i've already got the impression i need to find a new mechanic, god what did they do wrong? i only have a loose grasp of what im being told and what i know, set me straight please! all this started cause i broke my f-ing engine lol

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
The first thing I'd do is find another dyno and see what it says. FWIW mine put down 297rwhp with just an X pipe. It's possible the cams weren't installed correctly. That would be a big power killer. Was there any work done to the heads when they were rebuilt?

shurur

Established Member
Cams need Sri and Lt to really shine..supporting cast.

You build around your cam choice. And choose your cam based on your application.

Na svt can step you through with the cam you've chosen and what you should expect from it.

Remain calm..all is well.

skyeking

Established Member
machined valve guides (damaged on one head) three "lifters" had fallen (replaced all) plus all rockers and timing setup (after market) im afraid i chose the wrong combo of parts... not sure what to make of dyno printout though. i guess i'll try a different tuner, but this guy was the only one that does mustangs in the area. im not sure who to go to in NC, everyone does jap cars around here. (W-S) the car runs great, sounds great, is maybe a little faster i have the t-56 and 3rd and 4th gear plays out very quickly . i dont know if i screwed myself or what, im going to look around for another tuner just to see what i find , but i dont even know where to look. im lost. anybody recommend anything near NC? i'll post numbers from my livewire ts tuner as soon as i get a chance to figure it out. lol Im not unhappy, just this forum has confused the hell out of me. i've had a bunch of messages ranging from sounds great to being accused of trolling (look above) wtf? this was not an inexpensive rebuild.
can anyone show me a dyno sheet thats close to what i should expect?

Last edited:

Nightmare90gt

Established Member
Skyeking take it easy we are just letting you know that because of your dyno numbers your down on power. 99-01 cobra's make 320fwhp which means they should be about about 280rwhp stock so with caMs you should be making more. Learn these cars they are easy to learn and work on. Expensive at times but that the nature of the beast. Get a second opinion on the tune. There could be a few factors affecting your numbers. Did you break in the engine to let the rings seat before you put it on the dyno? Cams might not been degreed properly or advanced(not being installed with adjustable cam gears)

Last edited:

skyeking

Established Member
Skyeking take it easy we are just letting you know that because of your dyno numbers your down on power. 99-01 cobra's make 320fwhp which means they should be about about 280rwhp stock so with caMs you should be making more. Learn these cars they are easy to learn and work on. Expensive at times but that the nature of the beast. Get a second opinion on the tune. There could be a few factors affecting your numbers. Did you break in the engine to let the rings seat before you put it on the dyno? Cams might not been degreed properly or advanced(not being installed with adjustable cam gears)

ok, first, thx for reminding me to chill, lol. i got all kinds of bull i've had to deal with lately. (money is about the only thing in the world that can get me worked up!) Took her to another dyno place and she ran 316 hp, so i called up the first guy and said, "hey, whats the deal with this huge difference?'' he told me thats his specific dyno, that reads like that and that if i added 13% to the numbers off the sheet it would compare to what i might find on others... So i did the math 281x1.13= u guessed it, 318 hp. he asked me if the guys out front explained that before i left, and i was like "we were the only ones here." (it was like 8:30 PM) he said, oh my bad. sooooo, here we are about 1k miles later and there is still some kind of head tick. (i hoped it would go away with the break in) this was the reason for the rebuild in the first place... not very loud only makes it between 1500 and 2500 rpm. cannot hear it above the radio playing quietly. and im waiting for an open bay to take it back up to the shop. I'm on the fence as to how i feel about this shop, TCS Automotive. they are super nice people and seem to know what they're doing, but $6200 later and same noise. If they make it right without asking for more money for labor i'll be happy. (they had the heads off and i paid to have the engine yanked for a full in depth inspection to make SURE their was nothing else amiss) if they ask for more money i'll probably get pretty ill. am i in the wrong? im thinking one of the springs is dancing but i just dont know.

Last edited:

Nightmare90gt

Established Member
Those are better numbers. If the valve guides didn't get replaced that is most likely were your tick is coming from. Ask them what was done to the heads.

skyeking

Established Member
Those are better numbers. If the valve guides didn't get replaced that is most likely were your tick is coming from. Ask them what was done to the heads.

i did have both heads sent off to machine shop, and there was damage to the #7 guides, which was fixed

Users who are viewing this thread