2 step and the track this coming weekend.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
Just got my WOT box installed this past week. Got a 1/8th mile track that's having a street car shootout event. As we speak, my et streets 26x11.5x16 are being mounted up. Going to be running on 16 psi, which makes lower 600's and about 625 rwtq. Full weight vert, stock irs with a brace. Expecting to leave a half shaft on the line as i'm going to set the 2 step around 4500-5k.

Will post results. Last outing was a 8.7 @ 98 with a 2.5 60ft spinning the entire track on my nitto's.. so hopefully I can best that previous record.. I don't know ;-)

TRBO VNM

good luck. you may want to call Jon about the WOTBOX and talk to him about your experience with it and the turbo.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
How much bost are you building using the WOT box? I was able to get my car to build whatever boost I had my controller set to by pulling timing using the MSD Launchmaster worked out great. If you are only building a few #s it may not be enough to get the car going and bog if it hooks

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
Had it set at 4k and was building about 3-4 psi, turning it up to around 5k for the track. I went with 26's so it would be a tire that might spin some rather than just bog like a 28 might. Will post results. Looks like I might be one of the first testers of this with a turbo cobra?

Juiced, are your numbers on pump gas or your race tune?

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

spyder, yeah, you are one of the first. I think there are a couple others working with Jon on the software. I think you will be the first to go to the track with it and a turbo in a mustang.

I really hope you build more boost at higher rpm. 3-4# won't cut it. you can get that with the SCT 2-step.

Last edited:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Had it set at 4k and was building about 3-4 psi, turning it up to around 5k for the track. I went with 26's so it would be a tire that might spin some rather than just bog like a 28 might. Will post results. Looks like I might be one of the first testers of this with a turbo cobra?

Juiced, are your numbers on pump gas or your race tune?

Race gas. You will bog on 3-4#s it is not going to be enough to get the car moving even with a 26" tire. You may get another # out of it raising it to 5k plus but it still may not be enough. If you can change your tune I would pull timing out of the load point where you were on the 2 step. Mine was between 1.3-1.7 load and running -5* and it builds whatever my controller is set to at that timing.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
Interesting.. So you're saying if my poimt is set at 5k to pull timing out at that specific point in my tune? How would that affect the car / tune once it's going in all the other gears when it hits that point? In other words, would it fall on it's face or lose a noticeable amount of pull/power when it crosses that specific point?

TRBO VNM

Interesting.. So you're saying if my poimt is set at 5k to pull timing out at that specific point in my tune? How would that affect the car / tune once it's going in all the other gears when it hits that point? In other words, would it fall on it's face or lose a noticeable amount of pull/power when it crosses that specific point?

you aren't doing it at 5k. it is based on your load. your tuner would have to see what the load is there and pull timing.

so while you are pulling timing about that rpm, it isn't done like that in the tune. I really can't explain it anymore than that since I don't tune, but I know we did this when I was trying to get the SCT 2-step to work better.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
You pull it out based on load. It has no affect on your WOT driving since you will never see that load point @ WOT.

DUMBASS

Banned
How much bost are you building using the WOT box? I was able to get my car to build whatever boost I had my controller set to by pulling timing using the MSD Launchmaster worked out great. If you are only building a few #s it may not be enough to get the car going and bog if it hooks

what was the highest you were able to get it? How much timing did you pull out? i would really like to get 12-15psi at lauch if i can.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
So, in short. Pull timing at a certain load point, which will be seen in the tune when I engage the 2 step. Hopefully this is the case with the wot box, as 4 psi isn't going to cut it.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
what was the highest you were able to get it? How much timing did you pull out? i would really like to get 12-15psi at lauch if i can.

The most I turned it up to was 15psi. But I know I can get more out of it. It was making whatever I had the controller set to. I was running -5 degrees.

So, in short. Pull timing at a certain load point, which will be seen in the tune when I engage the 2 step. Hopefully this is the case with the wot box, as 4 psi isn't going to cut it.

Yes, if you datalog it and put the car on the 2step you will see where it needs to be pulled. You may need to do it a few times because the more boost it starts the build the more the load will go up.

DUMBASS

Banned
The most I turned it up to was 15psi. But I know I can get more out of it. It was making whatever I had the controller set to. I was running -5 degrees.

sweet i am going to have to get a launchmaster i guess. and that timing setting is only affected while at a standstill correct? i have never done any of my own tuning but if you can get 15 psi i want to give this a shot.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
I just did a few 2 step pulls with livelink on my xcal2 and sent them to my tuner. He's going to make a new tune for the 2 step at the track for me to try. It's looking like it might rain tomorrow (go figure) so i'm not sure if I will even get to test this out!

syclone50

Established Member
ok I got the box installed and the software uploaded. Everything works the way it should. I cant try the WOT shift as it has not stopped raining/snowing for 3 days here. THe two step works but I onyl make 3-4psi at 5000 rpm. This is with a stock cobra and a single 76 hellion kit.

It just so happens that I Adam from Spankin Time Motorsports is in Utah tuning mine and a couple other cars. Adam is a badass with our cars knows what he is doing but I spoke with him about pulling some timing in the tune do get the twostep to build more boost. He said he was not famiular with doing this and thinks it will affect the car under normal driving conditions. It is kind of hard to tell a tuner that "the guys" on the internet said it wont affect normal driving. Is there anything else I can tell him so he might understand alittle more. I am not talking crap on Adam in anyway he has just never done this with a tune before.

Thanks!

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
ok I got the box installed and the software uploaded. Everything works the way it should. I cant try the WOT shift as it has not stopped raining/snowing for 3 days here. THe two step works but I onyl make 3-4psi at 5000 rpm. This is with a stock cobra and a single 76 hellion kit.

It just so happens that I Adam from Spankin Time Motorsports is in Utah tuning mine and a couple other cars. Adam is a badass with our cars knows what he is doing but I spoke with him about pulling some timing in the tune do get the twostep to build more boost. He said he was not famiular with doing this and thinks it will affect the car under normal driving conditions. It is kind of hard to tell a tuner that "the guys" on the internet said it wont affect normal driving. Is there anything else I can tell him so he might understand alittle more. I am not talking crap on Adam in anyway he has just never done this with a tune before.

Thanks!

You need to pull timing, Period. It will not affect normal driving what so ever. I have it setup this way in my personal car and another Hellion car that I work on and normal driving is not affected. Have him pull timing from 5000+ and whatever load range the car sees when at that RPM while its on the 2 step. Mine was 1.3-1.7 Its not like you are pulling timing for the whole RPM band, just 5k+ where you have the 2 step set to. Unless you cruise around with your car at 5k under normal driving, you will never notice it. There is no other way to make it spool other then pulling timing. Trust me I tried.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
My tuner sent me a tune for track use, something about what he's messing with will cause bad gas milage. I'm not really worried about it being there all the time, as I only would use the 2 step at the track where loading a tune is no biggie.

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
You need to pull timing, Period. It will not affect normal driving what so ever. I have it setup this way in my personal car and another Hellion car that I work on and normal driving is not affected. Have him pull timing from 5000+ and whatever load range the car sees when at that RPM while its on the 2 step. Mine was 1.3-1.7 Its not like you are pulling timing for the whole RPM band, just 5k+ where you have the 2 step set to. Unless you cruise around with your car at 5k under normal driving, you will never notice it. There is no other way to make it spool other then pulling timing. Trust me I tried.

Won't that cause you to lose a lot of power up top? I was just wondering because I am also about to put a 2 step on my car with a single 76mm and want to build boost on the line with but not lose power up top...

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
From my understanding it won't affect anything at WOT due to the load being different. Only thing I was told was when my tuner changed things, it was going to affect the driveability some and make gas mileage worse.

No rain, heading to the track.

Users who are viewing this thread