1st dyno today-it was sad

135 Boom

Established Member
So I bought my 04 Cobra bone stock 8 months ago and have been throwing stuff on it to put down some decent numbers, but that did not happen. My buddy has a 13 STI and he took it to Cobb in Plano to put a 20G on it, so I figured it would be prime time to dyno mine too. This page should be updated this week with my numbers. http://www.cobbtuning.com/Dyno-Database-s/70119.htm

Mod are- Catless X pipe, Magnaflow catback, JLT cold air intake, 2.8 pulley and 100mm snub idler, LFP throttlebody/Plenum, Intercooler expansion tank, TR6 plugs and it is tuned by Amazon on 91 octane (lame I know, its all we have).

So to start it was a mustang dyno, which is depressing and it was 90 degrees. I drove it 3.5 hours then let it sit for 2 before the dyno. I was still hoping to be in the low 400's with that in mind. After 3 runs the best it put down was 345WHP and 400TQ:shrug:. WTF? It feels strong, but now I am worried. That is less than stock on most dynos...It was a long ride home to say the least. You guys think my tune sucks or the dyno sucks or my car sucks?

I hope I die soon.

NiceCobra

Established Member
What did the sti put down? With a 20g and supporting mods he should be around 350whp

racebronco2

Established Member
Don't worry, the dyno is just a tuning tool. Track times will tell the real story. I went once when my car had a stage 5 ported blower and plenum, long tubes and a 2.76 upper and it was only at 395rwhp so i know how you feel.

135 Boom

Established Member
I think my tuner sucks, so I am getting a new tune. I posted in the Terminator group on FB and have come to the conclusion the tune is crappy. Hope I didn't ruin anything...

NiceCobra

Established Member
He has low numbers compared to typical dynos also . So the dyno is def just a low reading dyno. My buddy made 380whp with his 20g sti on another mustang dyno, all dynos read differently.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Something is wrong. Either shitty tune, your bleeding all your boost or something.

My brothers cobra put down 375 with only a K&N filter added to the maf. Stock exhaust, stock pulley, stock everything. This was a dynojet but still. If you are really pullied down to a 2.8 you should be making 14 lbs or so and waaay more than 345, even if its a mustang dyno.

I put down 415 on a mustang dyno and 445 on a dynojet with a 2.93 upper and 4 lb lower.

Last edited:

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I think you need to find another shop a reputable shop ASAP to verify you have a good tune. Why was there tail sniffer/wide band not hooked up when dynoed?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Dyno numbers can be depressing sometimes, but take it with a grain of salt. Some shops I believe have very "happy" dyno's. Also I've heard more bad than good when it comes to amazon.

EDIT: Do you even know what your a/f ratio and timing is set at? Hell you might be on 13 degrees of timing and running very rich.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Those numbers are definitely very low, but I wouldn't get overly concerned because you said your car feels strong. For peace of mind, I would definitely find a good and reputable tuner and get a dyno tune. Ideally tune it at another dyno. Especially if the operator of the MD has a very lackadaisical attitude.

Ourobos

Established Member
I have VERY similar mods, with 16 degrees timeing and 13.5 PSI, made 455hp (dynojet numbers). And I was running out of fuel or could have squeezed 18-19 degrees timing. You should be over 400 at least.

Users who are viewing this thread