FOR SALE: 1998 Cobra Convertible Boss 5.3L Big Bore Stroker $20,000 o.b.o.

a68stang

Established Member
Hi, thanks for stopping to take a look!

The car for sale is my 1998 Ford Mustang Cobra Convertible. It is the second car I’ve ever owned and I’ve had it for 20 years since 2003. It features a forged 5.3L iron block stroker built for boost.

My dad owned it in 2002 before I bought it from him the following year. He hit a deer coming home one night so the driver’s fender was replaced in December 2002. I bought it in 2003 with roughly 25,000 miles on it. At the time I installed 3.73 rear differential gears from Ford Racing as well as a B&M Ripper Shifter (same as the 2000 Cobra R) with a Bullit aluminum ball shift knob. The car came with a Classic Design Conceptes (CDC) styling bar with a 3rd brake light as well as a Classic Design Concepts side exhaust system featuring integrated rocker panels with oval exhaust tips and Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. I drove it daily for a couple of years then kept it as a fun weekend car.

The air conditioning system was replaced in 2017. The engine was rebuilt for boost at just under 73,000 miles in the fall 2018/winter 2019. As it sits now, it has a 5.3L 32v Forged Stroker from Ford Performance. It uses the 5.0 Boss Iron Block with a stroker crank and forged rods and pistons, rated for 1,000 HP. The block comes from Ford’s Cleveland foundry, then final assembly is done by Roush before it’s sold as a complete shortblock through Ford Performance. The engine was assembled and tuned by longtime Ford tuner Lido Iacobelli of Alternative Auto Performance in Chesterfield, Michigan. The stock 32 valve DOHC heads were rebuilt with a valve job, heavier springs, and Crower Stage 3 supercharger cams. Cometic multilayer steel head gaskets were used along with ARP head studs and hardware. Lower heat range plugs were used. The rebuild brought the compression ratio up from 9.85 to approximately 10.25, and brought the displacement from 4.6L (281 cubic inches) to 5.3L (324 cubic inches). Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) delete plates were installed. Exhaust was upgraded to BBK ceramic long tube headers and a BBK catless X-pipe, mated to the Classic Design Concepts side exhaust system with new Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers installed. A larger, upgraded Fluidyne radiator was installed during the engine build. Oil pump gears upgraded. The clutch was replaced with a McLeod RXT Twin Disc Clutch rated for 1000 HP. A maximum motorsports aluminum clutch quadrant, Steeda clutch cable, and McLeod firewall cable adjuster were installed to compliment the new clutch. The intake, throttle body, and intake manifold are still stock. The fuel system is still stock. The brakes have been upgraded with Hawk performance ceramic pads, Baer slotted and drilled rotors. The calipers were repainted black and fitted with red MGP aluminum caliper covers featuring the Cobra logo. The wheels are chrome SVE Saleen SC replicas from Late Model Restoration, 17x9 front and 17x10 rear. Tires are Nitto NT555 275 front, 315 rear. Wheels and tires were put on in 2019. At the same time Eibach Pro Kit springs were installed. Spintech subframe connectors were installed (welded) in 2018 and feature a unique shape to allow clearance for side exhaust systems. The paint, convertible top, and interior are all original and in great shape. The interior features red Lloyd extra thick Cobra logo floor mats front and rear. The car currently has 85,630 miles on the body and 12,748 miles on the engine. I bought the car with roughly 25,000 miles in 2003, so I’ve put 60,000 additional miles on the car in 20 years (roughly 3k miles/year). The car made roughly 340 RWHP and 340 RWTQ after the rebuild. Can make more power with a bigger intake, more fuel, but I was waiting to boost it so I left the stock components in place until then. The car has a great deep chop at idle with the cams and is super drivable thanks to Lido’s tune. No stalling or throttle tip in issues when putting around in heavy traffic. The added low end torque from the bigger bore and stroker was fun. I’ll post clips of the car on YouTube so you can hear it. As it sits, it’s a totally complete build, needs nothing to be enjoyed as is. I had planned to finish the car and supercharge or turbocharge it the following winter of 2020 but COVID obviously up-ended the world and I had to put those plans on hold. I was able to keep the car even though times were tough and enjoyed driving it but I haven’t been able to finish it like I had hoped, which was going to be a high boost high horsepower build. The foundation is there but unfortunately I no longer have the room or opportunity to continue with the car. I’ll be moving in the near future and downsizing so nowhere to keep it either. My job will require a lot of traveling as well. This was the car that made me fall in love with cars in the first place. Dropping the top on a warm day, hearing the rumble of the exhaust at your side, and rowing through the gears is my favorite thing. Have loved this car from day one, but I’d rather have it out on the road with someone enjoying it and hopefully boosting it like it’s meant to be, rather than just sitting in a storage facility collecting dust while I’m away.

Overall, the car is in excellent shape. Only thing you’ll find better will be something no one drove and just sat in a garage. Only issues with the car is a crack under the passenger rocker panel under the exhaust tip (thanks potholes), as well as the air conditioning needing a recharge (waiting for the shop to have time to service it). It’s been in our family a long time but circumstances have brought about something I’d thought I’d never do. Hoping to find it a good home.

Thanks for your interest and good luck!

$20,000 o.b.o.

Note:
Payment is due within 3 business days of purchasing.
Payment via direct bank wire transfer only.
All sales are final, please ask all questions prior to making a purchase.
Pickup or shipping to be arranged and paid for by the purchaser.
Car will not be released for pickup until payment has adequately cleared.

Attachments

• 20190129_133642.jpeg
    20190129_133642.jpeg
    352 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0798.jpeg
    IMG_0798.jpeg
    401 KB · Views: 203
  • 2022-02-12_Original.jpeg
    2022-02-12_Original.jpeg
    355.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 20190213_110830.jpeg
    20190213_110830.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 202
  • 20190213_110742.jpeg
    20190213_110742.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 212
  • 20190521_180733.jpeg
    20190521_180733.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1049.jpeg
    IMG_1049.jpeg
    328.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_2524.jpeg
    IMG_2524.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 20190521_181558.jpeg
    20190521_181558.jpeg
    312.4 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0797.jpeg
    IMG_0797.jpeg
    257.3 KB · Views: 182

10 SECS

Established Member
Where is this car located?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Hi, thanks for stopping to take a look!

The car for sale is my 1998 Ford Mustang Cobra Convertible. It is the second car I’ve ever owned and I’ve had it for 20 years since 2003. It features a forged 5.3L iron block stroker built for boost.

My dad owned it in 2002 before I bought it from him the following year. He hit a deer coming home one night so the driver’s fender was replaced in December 2002. I bought it in 2003 with roughly 25,000 miles on it. At the time I installed 3.73 rear differential gears from Ford Racing as well as a B&M Ripper Shifter (same as the 2000 Cobra R) with a Bullit aluminum ball shift knob. The car came with a Classic Design Conceptes (CDC) styling bar with a 3rd brake light as well as a Classic Design Concepts side exhaust system featuring integrated rocker panels with oval exhaust tips and Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. I drove it daily for a couple of years then kept it as a fun weekend car.

The air conditioning system was replaced in 2017. The engine was rebuilt for boost at just under 73,000 miles in the fall 2018/winter 2019. As it sits now, it has a 5.3L 32v Forged Stroker from Ford Performance. It uses the 5.0 Boss Iron Block with a stroker crank and forged rods and pistons, rated for 1,000 HP. The block comes from Ford’s Cleveland foundry, then final assembly is done by Roush before it’s sold as a complete shortblock through Ford Performance. The engine was assembled and tuned by longtime Ford tuner Lido Iacobelli of Alternative Auto Performance in Chesterfield, Michigan. The stock 32 valve DOHC heads were rebuilt with a valve job, heavier springs, and Crower Stage 3 supercharger cams. Cometic multilayer steel head gaskets were used along with ARP head studs and hardware. Lower heat range plugs were used. The rebuild brought the compression ratio up from 9.85 to approximately 10.25, and brought the displacement from 4.6L (281 cubic inches) to 5.3L (324 cubic inches). Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) delete plates were installed. Exhaust was upgraded to BBK ceramic long tube headers and a BBK catless X-pipe, mated to the Classic Design Concepts side exhaust system with new Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers installed. A larger, upgraded Fluidyne radiator was installed during the engine build. Oil pump gears upgraded. The clutch was replaced with a McLeod RXT Twin Disc Clutch rated for 1000 HP. A maximum motorsports aluminum clutch quadrant, Steeda clutch cable, and McLeod firewall cable adjuster were installed to compliment the new clutch. The intake, throttle body, and intake manifold are still stock. The fuel system is still stock. The brakes have been upgraded with Hawk performance ceramic pads, Baer slotted and drilled rotors. The calipers were repainted black and fitted with red MGP aluminum caliper covers featuring the Cobra logo. The wheels are chrome SVE Saleen SC replicas from Late Model Restoration, 17x9 front and 17x10 rear. Tires are Nitto NT555 275 front, 315 rear. Wheels and tires were put on in 2019. At the same time Eibach Pro Kit springs were installed. Spintech subframe connectors were installed (welded) in 2018 and feature a unique shape to allow clearance for side exhaust systems. The paint, convertible top, and interior are all original and in great shape. The interior features red Lloyd extra thick Cobra logo floor mats front and rear. The car currently has 85,630 miles on the body and 12,748 miles on the engine. I bought the car with roughly 25,000 miles in 2003, so I’ve put 60,000 additional miles on the car in 20 years (roughly 3k miles/year). The car made roughly 340 RWHP and 340 RWTQ after the rebuild. Can make more power with a bigger intake, more fuel, but I was waiting to boost it so I left the stock components in place until then. The car has a great deep chop at idle with the cams and is super drivable thanks to Lido’s tune. No stalling or throttle tip in issues when putting around in heavy traffic. The added low end torque from the bigger bore and stroker was fun. I’ll post clips of the car on YouTube so you can hear it. As it sits, it’s a totally complete build, needs nothing to be enjoyed as is. I had planned to finish the car and supercharge or turbocharge it the following winter of 2020 but COVID obviously up-ended the world and I had to put those plans on hold. I was able to keep the car even though times were tough and enjoyed driving it but I haven’t been able to finish it like I had hoped, which was going to be a high boost high horsepower build. The foundation is there but unfortunately I no longer have the room or opportunity to continue with the car. I’ll be moving in the near future and downsizing so nowhere to keep it either. My job will require a lot of traveling as well. This was the car that made me fall in love with cars in the first place. Dropping the top on a warm day, hearing the rumble of the exhaust at your side, and rowing through the gears is my favorite thing. Have loved this car from day one, but I’d rather have it out on the road with someone enjoying it and hopefully boosting it like it’s meant to be, rather than just sitting in a storage facility collecting dust while I’m away.

Overall, the car is in excellent shape. Only thing you’ll find better will be something no one drove and just sat in a garage. Only issues with the car is a crack under the passenger rocker panel under the exhaust tip (thanks potholes), as well as the air conditioning needing a recharge (waiting for the shop to have time to service it). It’s been in our family a long time but circumstances have brought about something I’d thought I’d never do. Hoping to find it a good home.

Thanks for your interest and good luck!

$20,000 o.b.o.

Note:
Payment is due within 3 business days of purchasing.
Payment via direct bank wire transfer only.
All sales are final, please ask all questions prior to making a purchase.
Pickup or shipping to be arranged and paid for by the purchaser.
Car will not be released for pickup until payment has adequately cleared.
Nice looking Cobra!

Lidio is awesome!

GLWS!

a68stang

Established Member
Thank you for the comments! Sorry for the delayed response, have had way too much going on. Car is located in Southeast Michigan.

Users who are viewing this thread