1969 Camaro Restomod Project Thread

svtshadow

Banned
That's what I like to hear.

Today I made a book and did some research on wiring for the car. Looking at those mil spec connectors and realizing I'll have 5-600 just in the bulkheads and pins...wow.

Got a quote to have a guy do it that does some high end race car/exotic builds. I think for 10k I can make my own harness. LOL

Keeping an eye on how you are going to go about the wiring. Wires and electrical systems freak me out, but that's the only thing I cant do by myself on my car. I guess time to learn it.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
I'll have help and doing plenty of research but I don't like electrical systems either. Pretty simple for this car really and Holley has decent instructions on their efi setups.

Just a matter of cleaning it up and proper routing to make it look good.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
I'll have help and doing plenty of research but I don't like electrical systems either. Pretty simple for this car really and Holley has decent instructions on their efi setups.

Just a matter of cleaning it up and proper routing to make it look good.

Keep a fire extinguisher handy! Wiring was single handedly the worst part about building my car....

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Yea will do. Good call, i'll be sure to have one handy.

My biggest fear with the milspec is having something wired wrong and hurting the ECU...

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Incredible build!!!!!!!!!!

12360194_10208405958414613_3434178747865617087_n.jpg

Blue Blitz

Established Member
I like your HOSS in your signature. I used to have one and miss it greatly. If this car was done, I'd buy mine back.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Yea I haven't had a ton of cars, but this one is the only one that I don't have that I truly "miss." Next would either be the blown 2010 Camaro or the SB 2003 Lightning.

VcCPn5x.jpg

fYJHrJb.jpg

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Sadly all my time off was "wasted" with holiday stuff. Spent more time hanging lights and prepping the house for family...

I got a little done and car is "progressing" as best it can. Decided to say **** it and get the firewall finished so some deconstruction was involved.

How the car started out. As you can see firewall above brake reservoirs is questionable...
qpIi5Gj.jpg

Started the teardown and pulled the turbo kit off completely.
7ICkY98.jpg

KAUb8dH.jpg

With the turbo kit out of the way, the core support was pulled and the motor/transmission was pulled as a single unit.
AUVlHFr.jpg

Had some expert help that day with the twins (Big Bronco and Hellraiser)
SMSCClg.jpg

Even had a supervisor.
XG8hmhZ.jpg

Fenders removed and car put back on the ground to be sent to paint shop to have firewall finished/fixed.
pCWvFdI.jpg

aMeareb.jpg

Painter already did all the work to the car (since last Sunday). He gave me a deadline of this upcoming Sunday to be finished (so i figured a good month there).
CAs2kyc.jpg

DklVJ9l.jpg

HSCItl8.jpg

New valence to replace my damaged one the first painter didn't fix.
xNGVmAn.jpg

Firewall finished
lmu4oMW.jpg

Car has mirrors mounted on it also (didn't send a pic but sent video). Going to pick it up Friday.

Got some parts in for the car like the new latches, etc and got my RFID key setup in yesterday.
V9wg0KA.jpg

cVdMVFn.jpg

Key fob is small...
JpjzXsM.jpg

uWEG1v4.jpg

Wiring is my daunting task next. I have a new DSE dash coming and a racepak and looking at mil spec (deutsch) connector options and talking to car builder Mark Stielow about how he did his last car.

More to come!
William

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Thanks. Hate taking steps back to make steps forward. I'm hoping car is back in the garage for the weekend, and I can start looking at the wiring routes and mil spec locations. Also should have the brake lines so I can start that routing. I will say it'll be hard getting much work done this weekend when all Saturday afternoon i'll be at Reliant watching the Texans.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Looks much better and definite peace of mind. I don't envy this project though, mine's been headache enough at probably an 1/8th of the cost and time.

Likes yours it could stand to go back in for a few things. Lower tail panel in the rear could use replacing, I have a sneaking suspicion the subframe is bent and it needs body mounts.

Keep the updates coming!

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Yea don't envy this project. It's been a headache. Car originally started as a ls2/t56 swap with lowering springs. Project creep set in and several iterations finally led me to just build the car as if want as if there was no budget. That resulted in a car that's taken 3x as long and 5x as much as originally planned.

It'll be worth it in the end...at least that's what I'm telling myself.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Yea power tour route has me motivated. It won't be a better trip for Texans than this year. 3 stops in Texas!

Look for it there!

Users who are viewing this thread