18psi Whipple vs 18psi Hellion

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
XRQTOR said:
Will a big single be able to produce 1ooo+rwhp and have the same bottom end power & tqe that a twin kit will, keeping in mind this thing will be street driven and not just a track car.

A twin kit will have no more bottom end than a single when the turbos are sized appropriately.

Niether will never have the instant response of a KB or Whipple. That is the tradeoff for more efficiency.

You can get a turbo to come on at around 2500. It will probably start to fall off between 5500 and 6000. It would still be fast, but wouldnt hold your target boost to redline. It would be awesome on the street.

Last edited:

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
No. It would just cost 2X as much to get the turbos you needed :-D

I am not sure about that. As much bad press as the HP Twin Kit has gotten lately, my buddy Smashedheadcat has full boost by 3000-3200 RPMs and his kit was right at the same price as the Hellion kit.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
jackers said:
I am not sure about that. As much bad press as the HP Twin Kit has gotten lately, my buddy Smashedheadcat has full boost by 3000-3200 RPMs and his kit was right at the same price as the Hellion kit.

Yea he got the smaller turbo option, which should be the way to go unless you are just drag racing.

My point was that if you choose the correct specs on the turbo for what you want the car to do, you can have full boost at or under 3K no problem. It makes no difference if it is 2 turbos or one. It seems many people don't know that. Personally I like a single setup because there is alot less to go wrong and it is alot cheaper to maitain or modify.

If you want full boost at 3000 RPM It is not going to be a 1000 WHP car with that kind of a turbo, but it will be very fun to drive and have a very wide powerband.

cakes

Cap'n Cupcake
Established Member
A simple rule of thumb is the faster the spool, the less capability for top end the turbo has. Go to small, and your boost will fall off, go to big and you can't run the boost that is efficient for the turbo, and you don't make optimum use of your rpm band. Lesson learned going a tad to big on my last car.

XRQTOR

Banned
LargeOrangeFont said:
Yea he got the smaller turbo option, which should be the way to go unless you are just drag racing.

My point was that if you choose the correct specs on the turbo for what you want the car to do, you can have full boost at or under 3K no problem. It makes no difference if it is 2 turbos or one. It seems many people don't know that. Personally I like a single setup because there is alot less to go wrong and it is alot cheaper to maitain or modify.

If you want full boost at 3000 RPM It is not going to be a 1000 WHP car with that kind of a turbo, but it will be very fun to drive and have a very wide powerband.
But would twins which have full boost by 3ooorpm have a better top end that a single which would have full boost by 3ooorpm.

kino

Established Member
One thing I noticed and it was a topic of hot debate over on turbomustangs was the use of stock manifolds. I know some people are passionate in their beliefs but I do believe a good header would help postban's powerband and numbers. Put a good cam in or stock cams along with a good header and that turbo should spool up better with better peak numbers.

TRBO VNM

kino said:
One thing I noticed and it was a topic of hot debate over on turbomustangs was the use of stock manifolds. I know some people are passionate in their beliefs but I do believe a good header would help postban's powerband and numbers. Put a good cam in or stock cams along with a good header and that turbo should spool up better with better peak numbers.

HellionCobra put the JBA's in and lost like 50rwhp.

TRBO VNM

capnkirk52 said:
+1, and the what happened to the stage 3 bump sticks?

sticks are still in and I believe he is taking them out eventually, but plans on enjoying the car for now.

Jack, it was less power than that with the whipple or KB and a totally different tune. if he leaned this out and added timing I have no doubt it would hit 700 at this boost level. LargeOrangeFont had some good tuning tips and I think jon did something similar to my tune a few weeks ago at Maple Grove and the car responded very well. no clue on power differences, but both he and myself could tell SOTP.

kino

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
HellionCobra put the JBA's in and lost like 50rwhp.
I've never been a fan of the JBA shorty header. I look at some of the other single mod motors with 76mm turbos and even with stock heads and cams, spooled up better. I still think some experimentation with a header would yield better results. If I am not mistaken the Hellion kit uses a t76 q trim. Maybe a header with a 76gts or gt4276 would be a better solution.

Make no mistake, I am not dogging on the Hellion kit. Hellion gets the kit out in no time and has far fewer complaints (that I know of) than any other kit out there. I just feel that there is more left on the table from that kit in current form. Single turbo mods are not common but they are not uncommon either and just with a few more touches, I believe his setup would easily give any twin turbo kit a run for the money.

Now if some one can get Urist to put out a larger single with a single header combined with his quick shipping and ease of install, to me that would seal the deal so to speak as having the best kit.

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
Jason, I am positive his numbers were 666 because I remember commenting on it being cursed. Maybe he was running more timing or more boost. 666@18# is just stuck in my head for some reason.

I know his tune is really consevatively with some cams that are completely wrong for his combination. I didn't mean to make it sound like he had low numbers or anything, I was just curious why he didn't overlay his graph with the 666 hp.

Last edited:

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
:thumbsup: Thanks for clearing that up. At least I am not going completely crazy....haha.

Did you get to play with the boost controller any more?

Once again, congrats on the good numbers. Go have fun with the car, you deserve it.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
kino said:

You are right. I believe the JBAs didnt work as well because of the heat the let out. The cast manifolds hold in a lot of energy. Postban did the right thing by having them thermal coated. This will keep the exhaust gasses even hotter, and keep underhood temps lower. That configuration will work better than MOST of the headers out there. Tee problem is that the Hellion kit is designed for the stock manifolds. I have a feeling reengineering everything for a longer tube header won't be fun or provide enough gain to make it worth it.

Ashley

TRBO VNM

LargeOrangeFont said:
You are right. I believe the JBAs didnt work as well because of the heat the let out. The cast manifolds hold in a lot of energy. Postban did the right thing by having them thermal coated. This will keep the exhaust gasses even hotter, and keep underhood temps lower. That configuration will work better than MOST of the headers out there. Tee problem is that the Hellion kit is designed for the stock manifolds. I have a feeling reengineering everything for a longer tube header won't be fun or provide enough gain to make it worth it.

Ashley

I have no doubt that there are other things out there or redesign things that could be done to make more, but the way it is looked at is it is a bolt on kit in a matter of a short time period and you are making 800+ rwhp. John said he would have no problem designing a twin turbo kit or even offering a larger single, but some of it will be more for race application. The single turbo kit he offers doesn't only offer a direct bolt on, but it offers the customer to compete in NMRA and FFW events.

Jack, sorry, didn't think you were saying anything about being low, I just knew there was something more to the number, just didn't know what.

kino

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
I have no doubt that there are other things out there or redesign things that could be done to make more, but the way it is looked at is it is a bolt on kit in a matter of a short time period and you are making 800+ rwhp. John said he would have no problem designing a twin turbo kit or even offering a larger single, but some of it will be more for race application. The single turbo kit he offers doesn't only offer a direct bolt on, but it offers the customer to compete in NMRA and FFW events.

Jack, sorry, didn't think you were saying anything about being low, I just knew there was something more to the number, just didn't know what.

Will the larger single kit still alow for a/c? I can understand his position as his kit does ship on time which is a miracle in the turbo industry and minimal mods to get it to work. I just believe a single turbo kit to really compete against even the larger twins can be done. CPE's initial test with the GT47-80 showed promise and spool up time wasn't bad either but unfortunately no one has that kit now, perhaps Hellion can come out with a large single like that.

Users who are viewing this thread