18psi Whipple vs 18psi Hellion

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
18psi Whipple vs 18psi Hellion, modlist in sig
Timing with the whipple was 17.5, I do not know the Hellion timing yet. Believed to be 14 degrees.

screw-snail.jpg

Thats right, more torque than hp!

Still waiting for PHP to send me the winpep files.

Graph shows dropoff at 6250 but i can asure you it pulls hard to 7k ;-)
Pulls were made on an unloaded dynojet, false dropoff is common with turbos.

The power you feel between 3500-4500 is violent, tunnel vision type, kinda scary at first, lovin it now.

01MustangGT

CHP 5.1L Stroker & KB
Established Member
that is awsome
i luv turbo cobra
i am saving for the hellion rite now
hope they have it on sale some day near the future LOL

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
That is sick.

Lean it out to 12.5:1-13:1 from 2-3.5k. start tapering back down and shoot for 11:1 or so when it hits full boost. Run a few extra degrees of timing to get the thing to spoolup faster. It will get rid of that sag and you will see full boost at a lower RPM.

You want to tune it like an N/A car on spool up. When peak boost hits, drop the timing, and run low-mid 11s to redline. Give a little timing back as you approach redline.

On the street doing a pull from 2K in 3rd at what RPM does it hit full boost?

Ashley

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
XRQTOR said:
Thats a huge loss of bottom end power and tqe, how does it feel compared to the blower.

Its a turbo... it feels awesome. A 150 gain in HP and torque from 3500 to 4000 is just like Dave said, violent.

Notice that the real power kicks in above 4000 RPM. Driving the car hard, you wouldn't notice the lag at all.

XRQTOR

Banned
Yes i know he said it comes on violent but it's only making 4o more HP & 86lb's more tqe and is in a much much smaller band, basically 425o-65oo. In a drag car this wouldn't be a concern but as a daily driver i think i'd be a tad upset to loose so much low end grunt and not gain a huge top end.

BTW i'm not knocking this kit as it's 1 of 2 i'm seriously looking at.

TRBO VNM

you never answered me Dave, did you try to brake boost?

and 7k? I assume your built motor is ready for that right?

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
XRQTOR said:
Yes i know he said it comes on violent but it's only making 4o more HP & 86lb's more tqe and is in a much much smaller band, basically 425o-65oo. In a drag car this wouldn't be a concern but as a daily driver i think i'd be a tad upset to loose so much low end grunt and not gain a huge top end.

BTW i'm not knocking this kit as it's 1 of 2 i'm seriously looking at.

I believe Dave has teh larger AR housing. The smaller one would come on sooner and provide a broader powerband, without such dramatic top end gains.

I think that car could be tuned to spool up better via the method I mentioned above.

With a turbo setup you are going to lose some midrange power. That is just the way it is. The plus side is that is is easier on the motor, and you have more topend potential.

Last edited:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
It would be real fun to create a virtual video of the two cars racing....lol. Wonder if all that power up top makes up for the lack of power down low in a street race from 2000 rpms and up?

_J_

TTurbo
Established Member
Real nice...

sambandit said:
It would be real fun to create a virtual video of the two cars racing....lol. Wonder if all that power up top makes up for the lack of power down low in a street race from 2000 rpms and up?

Actually there is a lot more power down low than shown on
that DynoJet chart, “unloaded” DJ always show less power
down low for any turbo setup.. to see the real low end power
he will need a loaded MD Dyno and or any dyno with “load” ..

XRQTOR

Banned
LargeOrangeFont said:
I believe Dave has teh larger AR housing. The smaller one would come on sooner and provide a broader powerband, without such dramatic top end gains.

I think that car could be tuned to spool up better via the method I mentioned above.

With a turbo setup you are going to lose some midrange power. That is just the way it is. The plus side is that is is easier on the motor, and you have more topend potential.
Thats for the info mate. I'm after good low end grunt and a massive top end aswell.

I wonder how much more power would be seen in the across the bottom end with twin 67's.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
XRQTOR said:
Thats for the info mate. I'm after good low end grunt and a massive top end aswell.

I wonder how much more power would be seen in the across the bottom end with twin 67's.

None. With correctly sized turbos there is virtually no difference in spool between a large single turbo and 2 smaller twin turbos.

XRQTOR

Banned
Will a big single be able to produce 1ooo+rwhp and have the same bottom end power & tqe that a twin kit will, keeping in mind this thing will be street driven and not just a track car.

_J_

TTurbo
Established Member
XRQTOR said:
Will a big single be able to produce 1ooo+rwhp and have the same bottom end power & tqe that a twin kit will, keeping in mind this thing will be street driven and not just a track car.

Well its not impassable, but will be very difficult.. the problem is
you’ll have to get the motor/heads etc.. all flow test and match you
with a proper size turbine/wheel + compressor, also the kit layout
will be important .. pipe sizes etc.. etc..

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

ShelbyGuy said:
can a turbo be sized such that i get insane midrange? i'm talking 2500-5000rpm grunt, and i dont mind running out of steam by 6000.

I know the hellion T66 setup comes on about 3k. I haven't seen graphs, but that was from one member on here. he said it hit full boost at 3k. with an electronic boost controller you might be able to get it to hit even sooner

XRQTOR

Banned
_J_ said:
Well its not impassable, but will be very difficult.. the problem is
you’ll have to get the motor/heads etc.. all flow test and match you
with a proper size turbine/wheel + compressor, also the kit layout
will be important .. pipe sizes etc.. etc..
So basically twins would be simpler.

TRBO VNM

XRQTOR said:
So basically twins would be simpler.

producing the 1000hp is no problem with a big single. it is having that power with either a single or twin be able to come in at 3k being the problem. even a twin kit making the 1000hp isn't going to have the bottom end hp/tq. you will not have the same feeling with turbo's that you would with the KB/Whipple.

I am far from a turbo expert, but I have not seen one setup match a KB/whipple down low on any car or setup.

so it depends on what you mean by "simpler" and "bottom end power/tq".

Users who are viewing this thread