'16 SuperDuty prototype is better at doing a Ferrari than a real Ferrari

Svt4ever22

Established Member
Looks like it overheated. I bet the radiator hose clamp was loose and caused it the come off, resulting in the hose vibrating off. Either that, or a wire touched the battery POSITIVE point and caused sparks, causing an explosion in the brake fluid.

paintless302

Established Member
Is it just me, or are you guys kind of starting to get the feeling that these manufacturers are moving to not only a less weight, more fuel efficient truck obviously that is their goal. But also, a more expendable truck to drive up new car sales and make the insurance claims possibly "easier"? To where they could just write the vehicle off as totaled, which in turn could result in less hassle from all parties with repair BS, and increase market sales at the same time because you would HAVE to go buy a replacement vehicle. I mean clearly you can't bring back a fire-caused accident most of the time unless it's a small electrical fire, but I'm just talking about in general it seems they want these things to just be totaled no matter what happens to them so they can't be put back on the road. :shrug: I never thought I'd see the day where a full framed truck could BURN to the ground and leave hardly no evidence.

3688889-1005694035-tumbl.gif

Sick SVT

Established Member
I know the new trucks have a magnesium core support in them. We all know how magnesium can burn which would show why this engulfed so quickly.

Last edited:

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Why are so many cars burning up I know these are prototypes but come on.

Have you ever seen some of the test vehicles on the road? A lot of them are cobbled together mules, using all kinds of prototype and fabricated parts, and often repaired by less than desirable mechanics resulting in one janky looking vehicle. The ones designated as show vehicles are the only nice looking ones out of the lot. Some of the stuff you'll see on the test ones will make you cringe.

My money would be on some sort of oil leak. With the amount of times they might be in and out of that engine, wouldn't take much to goof up a line or gasket, and spray the engine bay with oil enough to set it alight pulling up a hill.

Must have been working too hard with that load and self destructed.

Guess they won't be beating Ram in that SAE towing test. :lol1:

That was my first thought but then I was also thinking they simply were done testing this particular truck and decided it was time to dispose of it in a new engineered way. This should save landfills and scrap yards in the years to come!

Coming in 2016 on the SuperDuty: New self-destruct button, exclusive to Ford!

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
Its a prototype...its for testing...maybe they were running it way hot on purpose and things got out of control. It happens and thankfully it happened before it got to production, now only if GM had maybe caught a few on fire before normal production they wouldn't been 29+ million cars deep in recalls lol.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
good thing this happened during testing so they could catch it. could you image if a manufacturer missed something random like a cruise control switch causing fires and it made it to production vehicles?

F.D.Sako

Established Member
Surprised they don't have fire extinguishers in prototype cars... For the safety of the drivers and their investment.

Users who are viewing this thread