'16 SuperDuty prototype is better at doing a Ferrari than a real Ferrari

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
aluminum sure does make it more dramatic...and terrifying.

005SuperDutyfire-sm.jpg

008SuperDutyfire-sm.jpg

001SuperDutyfire-sm.jpg

013SuperDutyfire-sm.jpg

015SuperDutyfire-sm.jpg

004SuperDutyfire-sm.jpg

016SuperDutyfire-sm.jpg

020SuperDutyfire-sm.jpg

024SuperDutyfire-sm.jpg

026SuperDutyfire-sm.jpg

:burn:

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
Holy crap, any back story on what the cause was?

nope. but from R&T:
The photos tell the tale: At first the truck is merrily hauling a two-axle trailer loaded with water tanks. In the next image, the truck has pulled over and flames are flickering in the wheel well as thick black smoke starts to pour out of the engine compartment.

In the next frame it’s evident that the engineers testing the Ford had already wisely abandoned the truck.

Our spy photographers report that from the time the first flames were visible in the wheel well to the entire front end being engulfed in flame took just three minutes. As the front of the truck continued to burn several explosions scattered parts of the Super Duty into the desert. Just 18 minutes later the truck was burned to the ground, with only charred puddles of aluminum and scorched roadway to tell the story.

:eek:

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
I bet a brake was locking up and started the fire...either that or a diesel line came loose and spit all over the hot ass brakes since the fire started in the wheel well. Definitely not a good PR piece...im surprised if Chevy doesn't plaster this all over the internet when the truck is released for sale.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I bet one of those straps they use to tie down the camo was in a place it shouldn't be, caught fire, and the rest is history.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
It's a prototype. This stuff happens.

STXDriver98544

Bass Assassin
Established Member
Is it just me, or are you guys kind of starting to get the feeling that these manufacturers are moving to not only a less weight, more fuel efficient truck obviously that is their goal. But also, a more expendable truck to drive up new car sales and make the insurance claims possibly "easier"? To where they could just write the vehicle off as totaled, which in turn could result in less hassle from all parties with repair BS, and increase market sales at the same time because you would HAVE to go buy a replacement vehicle. I mean clearly you can't bring back a fire-caused accident most of the time unless it's a small electrical fire, but I'm just talking about in general it seems they want these things to just be totaled no matter what happens to them so they can't be put back on the road. :shrug: I never thought I'd see the day where a full framed truck could BURN to the ground and leave hardly no evidence.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
If that was towing water on the trailer, that is too funny and reminds me of an experience I had in 2000.

My parents have to haul water to their house because they live out in the country. I was hauling water back (450 gallons) in a 3/4 ton '72 Chevy and it backfired, stopped and started smoking. I was a mile away from home and ran as fast as I could to call the fire department (didn't own a cell phone). They show up 20 min later (volunteer FD) and the truck was burnt to a crisp! Sucks I had 450 gallons and not a thing I could do with it.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Is it just me, or are you guys kind of starting to get the feeling that these manufacturers are moving to not only a less weight, more fuel efficient truck obviously that is their goal. But also, a more expendable truck to drive up new car sales and make the insurance claims possibly "easier"? To where they could just write the vehicle off as totaled, which in turn could result in less hassle from all parties with repair BS, and increase market sales at the same time because you would HAVE to go buy a replacement vehicle. I mean clearly you can't bring back a fire-caused accident most of the time unless it's a small electrical fire, but I'm just talking about in general it seems they want these things to just be totaled no matter what happens to them so they can't be put back on the road. :shrug: I never thought I'd see the day where a full framed truck could BURN to the ground and leave hardly no evidence.

At the moment they are concerned with CAFE standards and staying ahead of the pack with better performing trucks and more standard options. I don't think they have time to even consider what you explained.

Users who are viewing this thread