15 mustang. GT or ecoboost?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Not if you do anything requiring a tune, which will be required with the Ecoboost and with a lot of mods on the 5.0.

*cough* separate ECU *cough*
*cough* reflash to stock *cough*

Thats how they do it for the Genesis. I can either send in my ecu (stupid, would have downtime while waiting to get it back), or buy a spare and have it programmed to my vin with the tune on it.

Not that thats optimal as itll run you an extra $500 on top of an already rediculous cost (like $300) to tune, but its not difficult to swap out an ecu. Also guys with gens do it because people have lost tunes by getting a simple oil change and the tech checking and reflashing to the latest hyundai tune.

Ill likely wait until there is a better alternative, like a handheld that lets me use it as an interface to do my own tunes so I can just reflash to stock before driving to the dealer for whatever needs to be done. Also considering that while under warranty id not go past intake/exhaust, I can just throw the stock intake in and make it all look stock.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Oh anything I get will have a tune. My 06 gt had a Bama tune and it was a huge difference from stock. Helped a lot with the electronic throttle and power. If I go ecoboost route it will have intake and tune within a few weeks

LS2GTO

Established Member
Goal isn't to go stupid fast, something around 350-400 whp will be plenty for my needs.

The coyote puts down that kind of power, has all the sound in the world and comes with a full warranty. You'd be quickly voiding your warranty with mods on the EB to make that power.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member

Thats how they do it for the Genesis. I can either send in my ecu (stupid, would have downtime while waiting to get it back), or buy a spare and have it programmed to my vin with the tune on it.

Not that thats optimal as itll run you an extra $500 on top of an already rediculous cost (like $300) to tune, but its not difficult to swap out an ecu. Also guys with gens do it because people have lost tunes by getting a simple oil change and the tech checking and reflashing to the latest hyundai tune.

Ill likely wait until there is a better alternative, like a handheld that lets me use it as an interface to do my own tunes so I can just reflash to stock before driving to the dealer for whatever needs to be done. Also considering that while under warranty id not go past intake/exhaust, I can just throw the stock intake in and make it all look stock.

They can tell if your car has been tuned and reflashed to stock now. I don't know if they can tell if the ECU has ever been swapped but wouldn't put it past them.

That's great that you wouldn't go past intake/exhaust to keep the warranty intact, but that's my point. If you want to do anything beyond that say goodbye to the warranty. In order to make the Ecoboost Stang perform close to a stock 5.0 you'd be voiding the warranty, so it's really not a "pro" for the Ecoboost if the warranty is important.

SVTXTC

Established Member
I'm going to pick up an Ecoboost for several reasons:
1. I can get one with all i want, and its still less than a base GT
2. i spend 95% of my time just driving to work, i very rarely have an opportunity to floor my car, the V8 is almost lost on me
3. Better gas mileage i guess because of the above ^^
4. i love working on turbo 4's, they're honestly just fun to tinker with. They're dismal in stock form, but with a little love they honestly are just fun.
5. parts are cheaper
6. i dont drag race, i road race, so i'll still have plenty of passing power at ~3400 lbs and ~320 whp
7. insurance will be cheaper, i'm 23.
8. We already have a dedicated racecar for the track, the ecoboost is purely a daily, just a fun, cheap, daily.

I'll miss my current 5.0, but i figure i'll be modding cars my whole life, i'm going to do whats fun now, i'll come back to the V8 in a few years when the time comes.

I fully support your decision to buy a Ford Fusion. :beer:

13 RaceRed 5.0

Established Member
I considered that, having a warranty is important to me in some aspects. I wouldn't lose all the warranty, only parts affected by any mods I would do. I used to be a tech so i have the tools and knowledge to fix most problems myself. Otherwise I still work at a dealership so I get parts for cost and labor for half price which helps.

Working at a dealership, you might get a pass (maybe). But as a former tech, you already know that if something serious happens and they see mods/tune, a lot of dealers will just void the warranty outright and drag a customer through court to fight it. Major headache.

I say of you want ~350 whp, get the GT ...

They can tell if your car has been tuned and reflashed to stock now. I don't know if they can tell if the ECU has ever been swapped but wouldn't put it past them.

That's great that you wouldn't go past intake/exhaust to keep the warranty intact, but that's my point. If you want to do anything beyond that say goodbye to the warranty. In order to make the Ecoboost Stang perform close to a stock 5.0 you'd be voiding the warranty, so it's really not a "pro" for the Ecoboost if the warranty is important.

^Listen To Him

Steve@Tasca

Drive both and decide for yourself, obviously the 5.0 has more potential but if it's truly just a daily driver the 2.3 should be just fine and it's not like it has zero potential.

-Steve

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

I highly doubt if you are bringing the car in for tranny issues or weird clunks in the rear end and youve reflashed to stock that they would have the where-with-all to do anything about it. That would be a really smart dealership.

Besides, they would have to prove under Magnuson/Moss that the tune caused the part to fail.

I still wish for some new cars you could opt out of the warranty and get the car cheaper. Like, how much are they adding to the cost of the vehicle for the warranty? $3k? $4k?

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I highly doubt if you are bringing the car in for tranny issues or weird clunks in the rear end and youve reflashed to stock that they would have the where-with-all to do anything about it. That would be a really smart dealership.

Besides, they would have to prove under Magnuson/Moss that the tune caused the part to fail.

I still wish for some new cars you could opt out of the warranty and get the car cheaper. Like, how much are they adding to the cost of the vehicle for the warranty? $3k? $4k?

You'd be surprised how strict some dealers are. You really think they have to prove anything? LOL they can void it any time they want and I've seen it happen. Then YOU have to go through all the trouble of fighting it. Good luck with all that. It's a gigantic hassle.

Ubergeist

Established Member
While I think the ecoboost is cool, I'd have to get the V8 if we are talking just mustangs. Though once the price of the GT is thrown in, say circa 35k, I'd rather get the Focus RS.

Andy@Livernois

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

The problem is these types of tricks no longer work. The days of being able to tune a car and no one be the wiser are gone. Between flash counters, traceability numbers on ECM's, and redundant mileage and engine hour counters in multiple modules if they want to find out the truth it's all there stored in the car.

This is why choosing who tunes your car is so important. The days of saving $100 on a tune, and then getting Ford to pay for your failure are gone, or almost gone. This is why we tell people to be open, and honest with your dealer. If they want to play ball then you should be grateful, and repay the favor my letting them do some of the maintenance on your car. Don't just take it to them for warranty. Maybe think about getting your tires from there too. But never, ever hide and lie that you did stuff, because when they find out you did they have absolutely zero reason to help you out. But maybe, just maybe, being honest and feeding their service department now and again might help you out. Maybe it won't, but it's not an instant denial like getting caught lying would be.

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
I myself would love to get an ecoboost if I was able to afford it. To me its the new SVO if you get the performance package. When I learned to drive stick, it was in our 86 SVO and that car was so fun. Sold it for the 01 Cobra that I had just bought at the time. Miss that cars turbo spool. A fully loaded ecoboost is like $33,000 and change. A 5.0 is like $42,000 or something. At the end of the day its JUST a mustang. Even $33,000 is crazy to me for what the car is. For $42,000 id rather get a 2015 BMW 335i thats a Twin Turbo straight six and a blast 2 tune. My dad had an 07 335 for about 2 years and we tuned it and OMG it was fast. got 155 MPH in no time and still got over 30 MPG.

DGladhill

Established Member
It would. Look at your audience here. They are still moaning about the FGT having a six cylinder.

Assuming the EcoBoost requires premium like the other ones, you're saving gas money ( here it's like a 40 cent difference between 87 and 93 ) and you don't have to worry about extra issues with the added strain from the turbos and related parts.

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
the v8 is just as daily driver friendly and I personally would want the bigger/better sounding engine and more horsepower for when I do want to use it. The 5.0 still gets good gas mileage if you aren't driving like vin diesel.

^ This.

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
If the reason for your consideration is cost, then do NOT get the Ecoboost. You'll regret it down the road. Save up and buy what you WANT.

kaz109

Established Member
If blowing your new car warranty isn't an issue for you, check out an EB and see how you like it.

Otherwise, get the GT and you'll have the hp you want with a warranty.

Yep because nobody mods a GT right??? Or are you saying because it's an all mighty V8 that you can mod it and ford will still warranty it because it's a V8 lol

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Yep because nobody mods a GT right??? Or are you saying because it's an all mighty V8 that you can mod it and ford will still warranty it because it's a V8 lol

No he's saying it because the OP stated his HP goals are 350-400whp, which is stock to very lightly modded GT territory that would keep the warranty intact. To get that out of the EB you're going to have to turn up the boost and tune it and ditch the powertrain warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread