15 mustang. GT or ecoboost?

SHOdown220

Established Member
I've been toying with the idea of getting another mustang in the next few months. My plan originally was to pick up a used 13/14 gt, but the more I look at the 15, especially the interior, the more I like it.

I said I would never own a mustang without a V8, but something about the little turbo 4 sparks my interest. Always been a fan of being different, starting with my SHO, then my 88 turbo coupe. I feel like the $7,000 price difference is a pretty big gap, and I could close the performance gap for much less money. Goal isn't to go stupid fast, something around 350-400 whp will be plenty for my needs.

My biggest issue is the sound, I miss having that legendary V8 sound. But a nice turbo spool and BOV never gets old either.

Thoughts?

hoamskilet

Established Member
All personal preference, but no chance in hell I put down that amount of coin on a mustang without a V8.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
All personal preference, but no chance in hell I put down that amount of coin on a mustang without a V8.

pretty much this.

I personally would want the v8 if its going to be your DD. If I were considering a turbo 4 cyl it probably wouldn't be a mustang.

Speed Junky

Established Member
I thought about the EB for a second too. If it would have been the 3.5, I would have went that route. Better F/R weight balance, power to weight ratio, with direct injection and turbo it would be a great base to build on. Being the 4 cylinder though, I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. Too related to the import scene IMO.

SHOdown220

Established Member
pretty much this.

I personally would want the v8 if its going to be your DD. If I were considering a turbo 4 cyl it probably wouldn't be a mustang.

Just curious but why the V8 for dd duty? I would think the turbo 4 would be best for that?

Thanks for the replies so far guys, I'm leaning towards the 5.0 as well but wanted to explore my other options

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I driven the v6 and the ecoboost, and I hate to say it but the V6 was way better. Choosing between the ecoboost and the GT is a no brainer, go for the GT.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Just curious but why the V8 for dd duty? I would think the turbo 4 would be best for that?

Thanks for the replies so far guys, I'm leaning towards the 5.0 as well but wanted to explore my other options

the v8 is just as daily driver friendly and I personally would want the bigger/better sounding engine and more horsepower for when I do want to use it. The 5.0 still gets good gas mileage if you aren't driving like vin diesel.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
If you got the money, GT duh.

If not, the 2.3L is a fine alternative, Livernois hit what, 375 WHP with theirs on tune only? Sorry, but thats more potential than the 5.0 has with tune+boltons, I dont see 5.0's gaining 100+whp with tune only (livernois dyno'd low 220ish whp with theirs). And aftermarket for them will ****ing SPLODE once the RS hits. The writing is already on the wall seeing the aftermarket for the ST's get huge. Cant wait to see what people start getting with some nice turbo swaps and support.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you're unsure, drive both, and then decide. If it was me deciding, I'd go for the GT, hands down. Wouldn't even need to test drive the EcoBoost.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Thanks so far everyone! I didn't really want to dump more than about 27-29k into one I guess that's why I was eyeballing the ecoboost.

So maybe 13/14 gt or wait for some used 15 GTs to hit the lots

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
The Ecoboost cars are going to explode in the aftermarket. Id pick one up in a heartbeat.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
For me I would not own a mustang, camaro , challenger
With anything other than a v8 /6spd.
But I would consider. The 600 hp
" ecobeast " in the FGT
;-)

RSbeast

Established Member
I don't think people need to put others down about not liking V6s in top tier models. V8s sound and feel better to drive tq wise. Its heritage and that DOES stand for something. Wanting one doesn't make you some inbred. It's the top option and DOES have the most potential. Having the same feelings for a halo car shouldn't be deterred by what has likened non v8 to be near some quasi liberal implied mindset wanting to bash people for what they like just because it's the 'big murican veeaaaight option'. It's getting annoying fast.

Accordingly...

I would likely buy the v8 as well for a toy. If it was going to be my daily as I live in the NE where everything gets ruined with winters; the ecoboost car would have more appeal from a cost standpoint. Just as I'd buy them from different perspectives; my options would reflect accordingly.

I'd want a stripper ecoboost car to daily, yet want the most premium loaded v8 as my nice toy to hang on to. That can open up a window of over 10k.

I would look at what you will be using it for, budget, and end goal. Which will reach your needs without breaking the bank. I think they will resale similarly imo.

Voltwings

Established Member
I'm going to pick up an Ecoboost for several reasons:
1. I can get one with all i want, and its still less than a base GT
2. i spend 95% of my time just driving to work, i very rarely have an opportunity to floor my car, the V8 is almost lost on me
3. Better gas mileage i guess because of the above ^^
4. i love working on turbo 4's, they're honestly just fun to tinker with. They're dismal in stock form, but with a little love they honestly are just fun.
5. parts are cheaper
6. i dont drag race, i road race, so i'll still have plenty of passing power at ~3400 lbs and ~320 whp
7. insurance will be cheaper, i'm 23.
8. We already have a dedicated racecar for the track, the ecoboost is purely a daily, just a fun, cheap, daily.

I'll miss my current 5.0, but i figure i'll be modding cars my whole life, i'm going to do whats fun now, i'll come back to the V8 in a few years when the time comes.

Users who are viewing this thread