15 mustang. GT or ecoboost?

Blackness03

Established Member
You're better off buying an import then. Now way in hell I would spend that much money on a mustang and it only have 4 or 6 cylinders. Sure..it may have a turbo, but it's still a 4 or 6 cylinder mustang

Voltwings

Established Member
I happen to love mustangs, and happen to love building and tuning turbo 4 cylinders. I view it as the best of both worlds, because there is currently no RWD sports coupe thats worth a damn, Ford really hit a home-run here. No one has a gun to your head ;) you can buy a V8 all you want, I'm not saying the Ecoboost is better, i'm just saying i appreciate it and think it will be a lot of fun.

I still think its funny those types of comments are popping up, when this ecoboost makes more power than a fully bolted 2v with just a tune, and bolt on for bolt on will still destroy a 3v, despite the fact those were v8s ... Hp is Hp as far as im concerned. There have already been plenty of those threads already, this is neither the time nor place for that discussion.

Last edited:

SHOdown220

Established Member
I don't think people need to put others down about not liking V6s in top tier models. V8s sound and feel better to drive tq wise. Its heritage and that DOES stand for something. Wanting one doesn't make you some inbred. It's the top option and DOES have the most potential. Having the same feelings for a halo car shouldn't be deterred by what has likened non v8 to be near some quasi liberal implied mindset wanting to bash people for what they like just because it's the 'big murican veeaaaight option'. It's getting annoying fast.

Accordingly...

I would likely buy the v8 as well for a toy. If it was going to be my daily as I live in the NE where everything gets ruined with winters; the ecoboost car would have more appeal from a cost standpoint. Just as I'd buy them from different perspectives; my options would reflect accordingly.

I'd want a stripper ecoboost car to daily, yet want the most premium loaded v8 as my nice toy to hang on to. That can open up a window of over 10k.

I would look at what you will be using it for, budget, and end goal. Which will reach your needs without breaking the bank. I think they will resale similarly imo.

I guess the main reason for my consideration is cost. In the next few months I'll be in the position to buy something, but I still have a lot of other living costs to deal with, and I would rather not stretch myself. The car will be my only car, driven every day mostly back and forth to work in the city. And once or twice a month it'll be on the highway for 4 hours going to visit family back home. It will never see track time or racing. Just some spirited pulls here and there. Either way I'll probably settle with a base model 6 speed.

13 RaceRed 5.0

Established Member
... I said I would never own a mustang without a V8, but something about the little turbo 4 sparks my interest ... Goal isn't to go stupid fast, something around 350-400 whp will be plenty for my needs. Thoughts?

If blowing your new car warranty isn't an issue for you, check out an EB and see how you like it.

Otherwise, get the GT and you'll have the hp you want with a warranty.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
V8

My way of thinking: Why have a 4cylinder turbo when I can have a V8 Turbo

Thats true, but thats quite a bit of $$$$.

The gains are relative for both platforms. You can start off with a turbo 4cyl and make some pretty awesome gains. You can throw boltons onto the 5.0 and make some pretty nice gains as well.

Id be happy with either. I wanted the 3.8 Gen Coupe for the extra power off the bat but ended up with the 2.0t and its fun as hell and pretty moddable (though tuning solutions are lacking as of now).

Last edited:

SHOdown220

Established Member
If blowing your new car warranty isn't an issue for you, check out an EB and see how you like it.

Otherwise, get the GT and you'll have the hp you want with a warranty.

I considered that, having a warranty is important to me in some aspects. I wouldn't lose all the warranty, only parts affected by any mods I would do. I used to be a tech so i have the tools and knowledge to fix most problems myself. Otherwise I still work at a dealership so I get parts for cost and labor for half price which helps.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You can mod your car without voiding warranty if you are smart enough. And nobody said you had to throw on big snail/fuel system on day one of ownership lol.

chao5.0

Established Member
if the car was lighter I would definitely say the turbo 4 is a viable option compared to the GT, but this is a lightweight car by any means so if the money is there then I'd go for the GT. but having a turbo 4 that can touch 400rwhp with bolt-ons and tuning isn't something to laugh at.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

Voltwings

Established Member
And that motor is significantly inferior to the 2.3L Ecoboost in the mustang. The 2.0 struggles to hit 300 whp with bolt ons, and the EB will do that and then some bone stock with a tune.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I meant RS, not St... When they do eventually drop here.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I have a focus. Not an ST (they weren't out when I bought my 12). I considered an st but I don't want basically the same car I already have just with a better motor.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
No one has mentioned a test drive. I think after a test drive of both, you will probably end up taking the 5.0 home.

Thats all it took for me, one drive and a choice of three different New DIB 5.0s. :burnout:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
You can mod your car without voiding warranty if you are smart enough. And nobody said you had to throw on big snail/fuel system on day one of ownership lol.

Not if you do anything requiring a tune, which will be required with the Ecoboost and with a lot of mods on the 5.0.

Users who are viewing this thread