'15 GT PP vs. 1LE driven by Randy Pobst

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Ah, dang it! I have been waiting for Randy Pobst to do something like this! Now I have to wait 3 hours till I get home from work. No audio here.

Cliffs?

Todd03Blown

Established Member
1LE ran 1:22:81 and the '15 ran 1:24:32.

'15 was faster in the quarter mile and tied 0-60. Camaro braked a bit better by 6' and skid pad was .96 to .98 in favor of the 1LE. Figure 8 camaro won by .1

Randy said the 5.0 has better high RPM pull and smoothness over the previous gen. Likes the shifter, very quick, fast and smooth. Says the body structure is a ton stronger, much less body flex and much less vibrations. Much better behaved from a chassis standpoint over the '14 GT TP.

Said GT PP is very firm on the street but a light on the racetrack, under damped a bit. Needs more shock for track work compared to the 1LE.

Said the new brakes are really firm and really slows the car down nicely. '15GTPP is a fun car, really fun most, the most fun Mustang. Far more refined and sophisticated car compared to the 14GT. Said it took a huge jump over the last generation.

Last edited:

Rct851

Established Member
It's still early but after this first week of the car out its looking like ford made a real cute grocery getter

13GT5.0

Established Member
Well at least the mustang is more refined right? Looks like GM trolled Ford pretty hard and won with an older design. Ford should have rolled out wider tires and more hp for an ass trouncing but instead came up short. Maybe they rushed this car too quickly.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

'15 was faster in the quarter mile and tied 0-60. Camaro braked a bit better by 6' and skid pad was .96 to .98 in favor of the 1LE. Figure 8 camaro won by .1

Randy said the 5.0 has better high RPM pull and smoothness over the previous gen. Likes the shifter, very quick, fast and smooth. Says the body structure is a ton stronger, much less body flex and much less vibrations. Much better behaved from a chassis standpoint over the '14 GT TP.

Said GT PP is very firm on the street but a light on the racetrack, under damped a bit. Needs more shock for track work compared to the 1LE.

Said the new brakes are really firm and really slows the car down nicely. '15GTPP is a fun car, really fun most, the most fun Mustang. Far more refined and sophisticated car compared to the 14GT. Said it took a huge jump over the last generation.

Good summary. Seems the GT PP just isn't as track oriented as the 1LE. I think part of Ford's problem is they didn't want to come in and shit all over the Boss 302 right out of the gate, which is a decision I disagree with. There's no reason the GT PP shouldn't be rated at 450HP and have a more track oriented suspension setup. Maybe they are holding back for a special edition, maybe they don't want people buying a GT and complaining about an overly harsh ride, it's anyone's guess.

I think the take away is that for track duty the GT needs better tires, brakes, and springs/shocks. Luckily those are all items that track day guys are more than willing to swap. I mean check out what this guy did at the track:

Installing and testing Ford Racing’s FR3 suspension on the SVTP GT—at the track!

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Established Member
I have to say I'm disappointed. I feel like this is a solid loss for the mustang. These are supposed to be performance oriented versions and the mustang is a marshmallow in comparison. Did they not test against a camaro? I have a Boss and I don't care if they spank it with the 15. I hope this is fixed in 16. The SVT better kick some Z28 ass.

bpmurr

Established Member
Good summary. Seems the GT PP just isn't as track oriented as the 1LE. I think part of Ford's problem is they didn't want to come in and shit all over the Boss 302 right out of the gate, which is a decision I disagree with. There's no reason the GT PP shouldn't be rated at 450HP and have a more track oriented suspension setup. Maybe they are holding back for a special edition, maybe they don't want people buying a GT and complaining about an overly harsh ride, it's anyone's guess.

I think the take away is that for track duty the GT needs better tires, brakes, and springs/shocks. Luckily those are all items that track day guys are more than willing to swap. I mean check out what this guy did at the track:

Installing and testing Ford Racing’s FR3 suspension on the SVTP GT—at the track!

It's very disappointing. There is no excuse why a 15GT with performance pack can't best the current Gen 1LE. They are close in price so it's not like the 1LE is some kind of high end special edition. Ford has really dropped the ball with the S550. GM is going to crush Ford with the 16 Camaro. Not trying to beat the Boss 302 bad is really bad logic. At least beat your competitors current comparable offering.

Last edited:

svt1111

Established Member
Very disappointing. I mean, GM has done an outstanding job making the land barge they call a Camaro into a formidable track weapon. That the new Gen Mustang can't beat it on track only further solidifies my decision to jump ship recently. I'm hoping the next SVT product will blow me away, otherwise I'm going to start showing my age by sticking with older Gen Mustangs for drag racing and continue buying dedicated sports cars for track work. Heck, that's probably the best approach anyway, but I love my Mustangs.

Boss 302 values just went up 5% after this article.

13GT5.0

Established Member
Im keeping my 13 for along time and gonna add a 6th gen camaro next to it....Ford really dropped by the ball on this world mustang.

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
I have to say I'm disappointed. I feel like this is a solid loss for the mustang. These are supposed to be performance oriented versions and the mustang is a marshmallow in comparison. Did they not test against a camaro? I have a Boss and I don't care if they spank it with the 15. I hope this is fixed in 16. The SVT better kick some Z28 ass.

It sounds like its a slightly more aggressive spring/shock combination or more aggressive rubber away from topping the 1LE. Hopefully the PP steps up for next year.

Rct851

Established Member
It sounds like its a slightly more aggressive spring/shock combination or more aggressive rubber away from topping the 1LE. Hopefully the PP steps up for next year.

I agree. But isn't that what the PP is already supposed to be? Ford should have its base package for those who want comfort. then the PP should be rigid, already equipped with very aggressive shocks and tires, for idiots like myself (and most of yall lol) who don't care how impractical it is.

Chameleon76

Formerly Bad_302
Established Member

Nice and I'm guessing with the Recaro's instead of the heavy seats it would have taken the figure 8 and skid pad too.

chuckstang

Established Member
The PP GT has the 15" 6 piston brakes off the current gen GT500. If that can't cut it on the track, what will?

If you swap some real tires and new shocks, the Mustang would best the 1LE IMO. The 1LE uses 305s all around I believe while the PP uses what, 255s LOL

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
About what I expected to see before I watched the video.

Very happy with the results, good death on the mustangs part.

Let's let the excuses roll in.... Lol.

Last edited:

ford20

Established Member
The PP GT has the 15" 6 piston brakes off the current gen GT500. If that can't cut it on the track, what will?

If you swap some real tires and new shocks, the Mustang would best the 1LE IMO. The 1LE uses 305s all around I believe while the PP uses what, 255s LOL

4 Piston Brembo brakes. I'm not sure why you might use the 6 piston except for the fact that they provide a bit more even of a load on the brake pads not to mention you save about 40lbs. of weight off the nose. The only real benefit I can see of the 15" rotors is slightly better heat management of the rotors.

The 1LE uses 285 Goodyear Supercar tires all around compared to 255/275 Pirelli P Zero tires. I never thought that a 1LE vs. PP car was ever a fair comparison considering the extensive suspension setup and being outclassed on tires compared to the PP cars which were really nothing all that great suspension wise and they had the Boss cooling system. The better comparison would be the Boss 302 vs. a 1LE and even the 1LE can be faster than the Boss 302 LS on some courses but even then you are still running bigger tires all around which leads to better braking, grip & traction.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeap.... That is it...! Must be those "305s" on the 1LE.... Lol

Users who are viewing this thread