'15 GT PP vs. 1LE driven by Randy Pobst

Rct851

Established Member
as i posted earlier, the GT350 is going to be a game changer. unlike GM there will be a reason to spend 60-70K on a higher performance model.
I'm assuming spending $60-70k is out of the question for most people interested in this comparison. I think us lowly 35k guys were expecting a little more.

Still wouldn't be surprised if the 16 Gt gets more improvements

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
That's still a special edition 60k+ car. Why can't Ford offer a simple package of equal quality to the 1le for the GT?

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
That's still a special edition 60k+ car. Why can't Ford offer a simple package of equal quality to the 1le for the GT?

its a good question, ford has been this way for years with the mustang. i think its probably to keep MSRP reasonable. with GM you can't get a "2SS" 1LE. its performance package or death with them. ford is more a la cart with options.

i think to, they know that the mustang is the most modified car in the world, so they don't have to make a "1LE" per say. as a TP owner sure i wish the suspension was more track but i still wouldn't sell my car for a 1LE. even in its "slower" configuration its a vastly better car with a better power plant imho. coyotes can do with basic bolt ons what a LS3 needs a cam and head to do. namely 440-450whp.

like zybrog said, its mostly about personal preference too. sometimes one car doesnt have to be better, its up to the driver.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
its a good question, ford has been this way for years with the mustang. i think its probably to keep MSRP reasonable. with GM you can't get a "2SS" 1LE. its performance package or death with them. ford is more a la cart with options.

That is incorrect sir, you can own a 2SS 1LE. Ask me how I know.

ii think to, they know that the mustang is the most modified car in the world, so they don't have to make a "1LE" per say. as a TP owner sure i wish the suspension was more track but i still wouldn't sell my car for a 1LE. even in its "slower" configuration its a vastly better car with a better power plant imho. coyotes can do with basic bolt ons what a LS3 needs a cam and head to do. namely 440-450whp.

Ford did make their version of the 1LE. Its called the Boss. Unfortunately for Ford, even the mighty Boss was outperformed at the track as well.

I can see anyone having a a hard time choosing between the Boss and 1LE, but definitely not between the standard outgoing 5.0 as it is most definitely not a "vastly superior car". Quite the opposite. I will stick with the tried and true LS3 with TR6060 vs a GT 5.0 with the MT82.

is like zybrog said, its mostly about personal preference too. sometimes one car doesnt have to be better, its up to the driver.

This is where you are right, is all about personal preference. Some men like blondes and some like brunets.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
With the IRS rear suspension and revised front suspension the S550 has all the tools it needs to be a track animal. As mention, comparing stock vs stock platform is pretty useless since few run stock tires, brake fluid/pads, alignment, shocks/struts, etc. Would be more telling to track prep two cars (with aforementioned changes), put them on the same tire model/size and then compare lap times. I've run events with the Goodyear Supercar G2's and they are very good track tire. And even the "small" 14" Brembo brakes are more then adequate with some better fluid and pads.

When the G5 Camaro came out the Mustang won all but the biggest fanboy track comparisons, live axle and all. Put better tires, dampers, springs/sways on the 1LE and it's problem solved.

Last edited:

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
That is incorrect sir, you can own a 2SS 1LE. Ask me how I know.

Ford did make their version of the 1LE. Its called the Boss. Unfortunately for Ford, even the mighty Boss was outperformed at the track as well.

I can see anyone having a a hard time choosing between the Boss and 1LE, but definitely not between the standard outgoing 5.0 as it is most definitely not a "vastly superior car". Quite the opposite. I will stick with the tried and true LS3 with TR6060 vs a GT 5.0 with the MT82.

This is where you are right, is all about personal preference. Some men like blondes and some like brunets.

i stand corrected on the trim level stuff. i could never keep the GM trim level system straight.

ill just agree to disagree with you, mostly because even after driving both cars id still take the 5.0 every time and twice on sunday. and outside of GMtrend and other mag comparo the s197 dominated the 5th gen in actual racing, SRA and all. i suspect the trend to continue with the S550.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member

+1

Just be happy you're not a Challenger fan trying to figure out how to push a 4500 lb elephant around the track:)

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
i stand corrected on the trim level stuff. i could never keep the GM trim level system straight.

ill just agree to disagree with you, mostly because even after driving both cars id still take the 5.0 every time and twice on sunday. and outside of GMtrend and other mag comparo the s197 dominated the 5th gen in actual racing, SRA and all. i suspect the trend to continue with the S550.

I have also driven both, and although I will give props to the 5.0 on it's awesome feeling powerband, it does not come anywhere close to how solid and planted a 1le feels.

+1

Just be happy you're not a Challenger fan trying to figure out how to push a 4500 lb elephant around the track:)

Lol... :)

because hellcat.

The hellcat is one "nasty bitch". Dodge definitely came out swinging, raped, pillaged and took no prisoners.

mustangletback

Established Member
thats a dam shame for a new model mustang to get beat by an older model camaro.Ford messed this up bad.why they didnt put better tires and more power is beyond stupid.

Chameleon76

Formerly Bad_302
Established Member
thats a dam shame for a new model mustang to get beat by an older model camaro.Ford messed this up bad.why they didnt put better tires and more power is beyond stupid.

Run them with 10" wide wheels up front and 11" wide out back GT trounces it. lol

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
Im keeping my 13 for along time and gonna add a 6th gen camaro next to it....Ford really dropped by the ball on this world mustang.

agreed. we still need an american muscle car. not a euro style and feel car with a v8 in it

and i thought the boss beat the 1LE? and the 15 GT/PP was supposed to beat the boss?? :shrug:

Voltwings

Established Member
I've been a drummer for about 10 years now, and in my mind, heres the best way i can think to describe whats happening here.

I've bought and or played kits ranging from $400 all the way to $2500, and they all come with the exact same drum heads. Do you know why? Because the first thing any real drummer (racer) does when they get their kit home is take that shit off and put their head (tires) of choice on to play. Sure, the factory heads (tires) will get the job done, but who wants to go out to a gig (track day) with factory heads? No one. Hell, most of the higher end kits dont even come with a snare either because they know you're just going to use the one you want anyways. The manufacturers are smart enough to not waste their time developing pieces to go along with these kits when they know people are going to change them to their needs. You cannot possibly make a one size fits all platform, its just impossible, however "good" it may be in stock form.

Ford is basically giving you a canvas with which to start. They're not wasting their time developing magnetic ride suspension and all that other crap that chevy has the resources to pull from (cadillac and the other high end vettes / camaros), when the first thing a lot of folks would do is pull it out anyways. Even if the car needs better dampning and tires, you still get: Better brakes, better cooling, torsen diff, gear ratio change, and other things i cant think of off the top of my head. Sure the car can "get the job done" in factory trim, but thats not how many people will treat this car.

I would not count a 1.5 second or so loss to a car prepped like the 1LE a loss, that car clearly has all the pieces to be faster. The fact that the mustang, equipped as it is, is even a competitor should speak volumes of how far its come.

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
So a track prepped from the factory car vs a non track prepped car.

1 reviewer.

And lost by 1.45 secs?

Ummmm the conversation should be: "damn impressive that a street car is keeping that kinda pace with a track oriented car"

Does anyone not see that logic?

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
So a track prepped from the factory car vs a non track prepped car.

1 reviewer.

And lost by 1.45 secs?

Ummmm the conversation should be: "damn impressive that a street car is keeping that kinda pace with a track oriented car"

Does anyone not see that logic?

that makes too much sense. Plus its called making "excuses". I fail to see that if one is more track oriented even as stated in the video. Yet they will choose the camaro cuz guess who gives them more money? MT always bashes Ford

However, I still am disappointed and if Ford is gonna offer a PP pack, then offer a square set up on tires. 255's in the rear isn't sufficient. Of course most guys who track are not gonna leave the car stock. Most owners across the board don't track their cars so whatever

I wanna see what the GT350 does against the Z28

kudos to GM for taking the handling of cars more seriously instead of just straight line performance

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
agreed. we still need an american muscle car. not a euro style and feel car with a v8 in it

and i thought the boss beat the 1LE? and the 15 GT/PP was supposed to beat the boss?? :shrug:
the boss never beat the 1le smh at people

I agree that the mustang is a muscle car, but imo it should be able to handle well too. A car that can do everything performance wise is better than a one trick pony the pre '05 cars were.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
the boss never beat the 1le smh at people

I agree that the mustang is a muscle car, but imo it should be able to handle well too. A car that can do everything performance wise is better than a one trick pony the pre '05 cars were.

I believe the boss LS got the better of the 1LE.

and they should handle to an extent but i think it is too refined now. actually probably been too refined for awhile now

Users who are viewing this thread