'13-14 upgrades on '07-12 GT500s

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I have a thread in the How-To section with information on the pump wiring. You would need to open the pdf at the end of the thread for a pin-out. I think you would only use pin 2 with a controller, like the Lingenfelter unit. I've come across other controllers, but none of those come to mind, or were commercially available. I wired pins 3 and 4 together to power to get full pump capacity. Ford only uses pin 1 and 4 on the 13-14, but that's a reduced output for the Pierburg pump.

Cat - Thanks for the pin out info., I ordered the Ford pigtail this past week.

Do you have information on the full pump capacity gpm flow when the #3 terminal is energized? With 1 and 4 only (like oem), it is 6.0 gpm?

Do you have any thoughts on why Ford/SVT chose to run the pump at partial capacity in the 2013/14 oem system instead of full capacity?

R

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The CWA 50 is rated at a max free flow rate of 30 LPM, which is just under 8 gal./min. The free flow rates are somewhat irrelevant, since all coolant systems are going to have some level of restriction and some volume of coolant it has to push. The Pierburg is said to flow 6.3 gpm at 8.7 psi. I pointed out these two graphs from the Linginfelter forum in my write up that are a lot more telling that free flow rates. The first chart is the actual volume Lingenfelter measured based on varying pressures of several different pumps. Here is that data graphed.

image_3390.jpg

Now what follows is the actual flow rates in a ZL1 Camaro employing these different pumps. Is the ZL1 intercooler system more restrictive than the GT500, I sort of doubt it based on the i.d. of the tubing in the GT500. It takes the McDaddy pump like the BW to increase the flow rate by a signifciant margin. The Pierburg has similar flow ratings to the ZL1 pump. Here are the results.

image_3389.jpg

Just the change from the Bosch pump to the ZL1 pump with no other modifications, increased the flow rate by 1/3. Notice the Rule 2000 rated at a free flow rate of 55 gpm drops like a rock with any resistance at all. The logic in the how-to was more of an attempt to decrease the amount of pressure in the system by increasing i.d.s of the various connectors in the system with a bigger pump to increase the flow rate. I could have measured it in a crude fashion, but I didn't take the time to do it. So far, the only real data I have is to monitor the temperature coming of the heat exchanger, which is just over ambient. This has only been measured with no load thus far.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I received the pigtail in the mail yesterday. Going to wire it up this weekend, but not sure how to measure any increases in flow. True two wire 13/14’ pump setup certainly flows significantly better than the 07-12’ Bosch for sure.

Catmonkey’s How To writeup is a great source of info on this whole process. I have the Moroso underhood IC tank, and no frothing at all with the 13/14’ pump. This tank has larger inlet and outlet nipples than he Roush 3x tank.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
How I intended to measure it was to feed water from a large tank and see how much fluid came out the other end after running it for a minute, but using the entire intercooler system to do so. I had my old intake manifold with all the factory components, so it could have been done, but it would have been time consuming and I wanted to get the project done. It would have been nice to know if it was worth the effort, but then I'm not selling anything either.

Robert, as to why Ford chose to wire the pump like that did, I can only assume whatever increase they got from the larger pump was good enough using all the carryover components. Remember they were only trying to cool 12 psi of boost with a more efficient TVS that didn't generate as much heat as it's predecessor and moving a little more coolant through a slightly larger heat exchanger. But that's pure speculation on my part.

Poisonous West

Established Member
How I intended to measure it was to feed water from a large tank and see how much fluid came out the other end after running it for a minute, but using the entire intercooler system to do so. I had my old intake manifold with all the factory components, so it could have been done, but it would have been time consuming and I wanted to get the project done. It would have been nice to know if it was worth the effort, but then I'm not selling anything either.

Robert, as to why Ford chose to wire the pump like that did, I can only assume whatever increase they got from the larger pump was good enough using all the carryover components. Remember they were only trying to cool 12 psi of boost with a more efficient TVS that didn't generate as much heat as it's predecessor and moving a little more coolant through a slightly larger heat exchanger. But that's pure speculation on my part.
HI Cat, I guess would be if Ford has run the newer pump at FULL capacity 100% all the time, it will drastically reduce the life of the pump.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Could be, but the service life of the pump is 6,000 hours. Even if you average 20 mph over the cars life, that's 120,000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread