'13-14 upgrades on '07-12 GT500s

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Nah, effort would be too much to try and raise the profile line of the bumper.

Personally, I love the shape of the 10-12 tail lights. I liked my 14 GT rear end, but I have always felt 10-12 looked more aggressive. Totally subjective of course.

Challenge accepted LOL

pretty confident I can improve the looks, you're right though, I will to add some support/strength.

I think 10-12 tails look pretty killer on a red car.. and not bad on black either, but I think look straight off of Ebay with my color scheme.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
My car's white and I have no issue with the looks of the gap extender. I'm not a fan of 13-14 bumper cover either.

c3de7747-999e-4848-aada-d4e7d72af3c1_zpsrqjrrul5.jpg~original.jpg

96gt02

Established Member
Im pretty picky about my car, and I fully expected the gap to bother me, almost so sure that I had lined up a pair of gap fillers (which are back-ordered recently) in anticipation of needing them, however I went ahead and installed the lights without out them after already not being crazy about the looks of the fillers, and to my surprise I do not mind the minor gap at all and still hate the looks of the fillers on any car that is not black, black can get away with them IMO, The white one above really proves my point, just looks out of place on a bright color car, mine is GB BTW. This white one posted on the first page without the fillers looks so much cleaner IMO.

merkyworks

Established Member
I would be curious to know what it would take to upgrade to a 13-14 fuel system. From my initial research I have found this, not an expert so if something I have posted is wrong someone please correct.

Wiring diagrams
2011.png
2013 GT500 Fuel Pump Wiring Diagram.jpg
More info on 2013 wiring HERE.

When I look at these they look the same but I know there has got to be some difference, again not an expert.

However when you look at the plug and play BAP kits VMP offers it's very obvious there is a difference. The 2012 kit only includes one amp while the 2013 kits includes 2 amps.
2012 BAP kit
2013 BAP kit
When you read the VMP BAP install instructions they specifically state.

"11-12 GT500 have one power circuit feeding both FPDMs. Our specific kit for 11-12 GT500 uses one AMP and includes a Y harness and and two PnP harnesses. Connect the Y harness to the AMP, connect each PnP harness to the end of the Y harness, then connect in-line with factory FPDM."

For 07-09,10 & 13-14 they state.
"Same as above except mount two units and connect one to each FPDM with a PNP harness for each."

So 11-12's only have one power circuit feeding both FPDM. 13-14's have two power circuits, one to feed each FPDM. I would guess then the 13-14 system is demanding more current hence two power circuits.

Fuel Pumps
2012 Fuel pump assembly is AR3Z-9H307-B
2013 Fuel pump assembly is DR3Z-9H307-B

The pics are different looking for each and the part numbers are different so I think they are different. Someone correct me if wrong please.

The Fuel pump controllers BR3Z-9D372-C & AU5Z-9D370-P are listed as the same part number for both 2012 and 2013 so those are the same for sure.

Differences between 11-12 & 13-14
11-12 have power circuit
Maybe 11-12 have different fuel pump?
Possibly something else?

Anyone who want to add to this or correct something I have stated incorrectly please feel free to do so.

barspen

Established Member
I would disagree with that, but my car is black and I can see how it would look odd on some of the other colors. IMO, no worse than the gap though.]

+ 1. They look fine on Kona Blue. Not ideal, but inexpensive and easy to apply and remove.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I would be curious to know what it would take to upgrade to a 13-14 fuel system. From my initial research I have found this, not an expert so if something I have posted is wrong someone please correct.

Wiring diagrams
View attachment 1506566
View attachment 1506567
More info on 2013 wiring HERE.

When I look at these they look the same but I know there has got to be some difference, again not an expert.

However when you look at the plug and play BAP kits VMP offers it's very obvious there is a difference. The 2012 kit only includes one amp while the 2013 kits includes 2 amps.
2012 BAP kit
2013 BAP kit
When you read the VMP BAP install instructions they specifically state.

"11-12 GT500 have one power circuit feeding both FPDMs. Our specific kit for 11-12 GT500 uses one AMP and includes a Y harness and and two PnP harnesses. Connect the Y harness to the AMP, connect each PnP harness to the end of the Y harness, then connect in-line with factory FPDM."

For 07-09,10 & 13-14 they state.
"Same as above except mount two units and connect one to each FPDM with a PNP harness for each."

So 11-12's only have one power circuit feeding both FPDM. 13-14's have two power circuits, one to feed each FPDM. I would guess then the 13-14 system is demanding more current hence two power circuits.

Fuel Pumps
2012 Fuel pump assembly is AR3Z-9H307-B
2013 Fuel pump assembly is DR3Z-9H307-B

The pics are different looking for each and the part numbers are different so I think they are different. Someone correct me if wrong please.

The Fuel pump controllers BR3Z-9D372-C & AU5Z-9D370-P are listed as the same part number for both 2012 and 2013 so those are the same for sure.

Differences between 11-12 & 13-14
11-12 have power circuit
Maybe 11-12 have different fuel pump?
Possibly something else?

Anyone who want to add to this or correct something I have stated incorrectly please feel free to do so.
Is it possible that the 11-12 cars have a thicker gauge wire providing power from the PCM to the FPDMs?

My guess is the fuel pumps are larger in the 13-14 (duh) but if they are physically larger and move more fuel with the same volts/amps as the 11-12 cars, wouldn't the 11-2 PCM and FPDMs be able to run the fuel pump module?

As stated, the fuel tanks are plastic 11-14 Base, GT, 12-13 Boss 302 and 13-14 GT500. 11-12 GT500 have a steel fuel tank.

Fuel Tank Assembly - Ford (BR3Z-9002-D) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

11-12 GT500 tank

Fuel Tank Assembly - Ford (BR3Z-9002-A) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

@Tob , if you have any contacts at Ford that may have worked on the powertrain for Mustang 11-14, any chance you could ask them why the 11-12 GT500s are different in the fuel system control?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The solution would seem to be better pumps, but I don't know of anyone that has attempted to put the 13-14 fuel pump units in 11-12 fuel pump assembly, or if it can be done with the existing wiring. $800 and the ride to get it you, plus pumps, sounds like a more expensive option than just converting to return style.

merkyworks

Established Member
Is it possible that the 11-12 cars have a thicker gauge wire providing power from the PCM to the FPDMs?

Logically this would make since.

My guess is the fuel pumps are larger in the 13-14 (duh) but if they are physically larger and move more fuel with the same volts/amps as the 11-12 cars, wouldn't the 11-2 PCM and FPDMs be able to run the fuel pump module?

13-14 pumps are supposed to be taller from what I have read.

Assuming the 11-12 single circuit is able to handle the load I would agree they should be able to but from research I have done the single circuit would come up a little short. Now if the single circuit was upgraded to the appropriate wire size then it would not be an issue.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I think the stock fuel pumps will work in just about all pump gas applications with a booster and bigger injectors. If you need more than that, just go with a return style pump hat and big pumps.

Does anyone know if there is a way to make return style pumps shut off on KOEO after a few seconds like the stock pumps? I'm under the impression that return style pumps will continue to run in KOEO.

boduke0220

Established Member
Whats the General consensus on Oil pump gears? when I put a blower on my coyote it was pretty much a given that you do OPG too.

What is the case with the 5.4/5.8?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The 5.4 and 5.8 are long stroke engines and aren't really developed to spin like a coyote, so OPG's are not quite as critical, but yes they've been known to fail at high rpm. There are billet options for that, just not from Ford.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Whats the General consensus on Oil pump gears? when I put a blower on my coyote it was pretty much a given that you do OPG too.

The GT500 makes much more torque sooner than boosted Coyote's with stock cams. Not necessary to wind out the GT500 like the Coyote's to make the power. OPG are a good idea, but if its a stock GT500 engine with a TVS variant blower its fine, just keep RPMs at 6500.

If you have any need to open the engine up, definitely a good idea to put OPGs and a billet crank gear in at a minimum. If building the engine, consider it mandatory.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
...was wondering about the Fuel pumps as I see 13/14 guys running BAP's and E85 a lot but not many 11/12 guys do. ...

As you've read, they don't "need" to. However, if we try to get a tuner to work with the stock system, they'll what-if us to death and keep trying to push a pump booster on us. At least, that's been my experience. That's why I'm "stuck" at 750 crank HP.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

5.8s have GT supercar cams and peak at 6600-6700rpm. If you hit the rev limiter often or shift high, you can see failure.
One of the best 5.8 upgrades people forget are the cams that combined with the TVS, allow for a much different powerband and better flowing engine.
If anyone has a 5.4 apart I have 2 new sets of '13-14 cams and matching new springs.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread