127mm JLT Questions for those who have it.

breoland

Established Member
hey tucker, why do you tell people with your jlt cai to slide the filter up and down on the tube when having issues?

Tucker

Your more seeing people post this, than us posting it, because the filters with the screen, placement really doesn't matter due to the way it's built.

These have been shipping for at over a year and don't come into play on the 2013 as all kits for 13's had the screen.

Pre screen some people will push the filter on farther than it should be for smooth air flow, pushing the tube into the filter.
It's just to eliminate something simple, but really is not an issue with the filters that have the screen built in. ;)

Derek5774

Established Member
Tuner contacted me already, and we will start working on it soon as I can
Thanks for the speedy response

breoland

Established Member
So what you are saying is the screen is a filter stop?

Wouldn't it be easier to put a filter stop on the tube itself so any filter can be used on your tube.

Not everyone is running this new filter on your cai.(or might not like that filter)

* I would also think a bell mouth would be nice, It would improve the transition from the filter to the meter which will flow smoother air across the sensor with less turbulence and be a great stop/filter mount.

With these 2 features there would be allot less of a chance to install incorrectly. The CAI would be repeatable in every car. It would be a standard fit like fords cai which are repeatable in every car.

There would be one correct transfer curve for your cai which no tuner should need to tweak.

Tucker

It's obvious you didn't read any of the thread and anything about the new filter or the happy customers not having issues and your only trying to cause trouble.

All 2013 GT500 are running the screen filter as it's been out longer than the car.

Thanks for your incite, but I know your intentions are to start a war.

When 90% of the GT50's run a JLT, your going to have a %'s that run one way or another, but you forget that a tune is involved and blame parts.

As I said many times, the way these are made it's 100% repeatable due to the mold process.
Cars and tunes are not.
All MAF transfers need a tweak here and there, that's "tuning"

TORQJNKY

So what you are saying is the screen is a filter stop?

Wouldn't it be easier to put a filter stop on the tube itself so any filter can be used on your tube.

Not everyone is running this new filter on your cai.(or might not like that filter)

Here, this should clear up the filter install issue for you.

[youtube_browser]8auyB80x9pk[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

Tucker

Thanks,

As you can see the first filter inner flange is deep and tube placement isn't critical. It could be in a inch or more and it can't protrude into the filter area.

Great quick video, thanks for posting

slowbra1

Established Member
Torque tables in your case.

As for the JLT 127MM, I've addressed /documented this a number of times. But, for those new to the party......

I had one of the very first ones. Tune was dead nuts perfect on the dyno. But, drive it and it went nuts. Surging, bucking, all the issues you read about.

Fortunately, I had a wb air-fuel gauge. It was clear that the sensor was having a field day, adding and deleting fuel, causing massive swings-thus the surging.

My hood has a fresh air "dump" right over the filter. I'd used it with the regular JLT 110MM with no problems.

I assumed (correctly) that the airflow was being rammed too hard/quickly and this must be the culprit. I cut down the edges of the plastic housing to keep it from sealing. Still had the issue, but had to head home. About an hour into the drive the surging got so bad that it failsafed.

In true McGyver fashion I took the back panel of a granola bar box and completely taped my fresh air dump closed.

Viola. Done. Perfect.

As stated above, its turbulence. Jay has recently improved the mouth of the filter by adding a screen to disperse the airflow. Its better, but it doesn't fix it.

He's continuing to fine tune the CAI.

You can mask some of this in the tune, but not all.

Block off the oval fresh air hole that comes from your grille on a 10-13 MY car. Problem solved.

Remove the block if you go to the track. It won't matter because it doesn't occur at WOT.

I have a piece of rubber velcro'd over my fresh air inlet for daily driving. You'll still get plenty of intake air. Don't worry.

I remove it for track use.

The JLT 127MM is a fine piece and performs great, but just like a really large throttle body, it may take a little experimentation.

Block the hole and see what happens.

Bj

PLEASE REACH ME VIA EMAIL AT [email protected] AS OPPOSED TO PM. THANKS.

Good to know

Derek5774

Established Member
My surging problem is fixed, it's not the tune, you have to install the CAI correctly
Filter needs to be pulled all the way to the end of the tube, until the filter can't be pulled anymore then tighten clamp

TORQJNKY

My surging problem is fixed, it's not the tune, you have to install the CAI correctly
Filter needs to be pulled all the way to the end of the tube, until the filter can't be pulled anymore then tighten clamp

That is one of the reasons for the filter stop on the new filter. If the intake tube is pushed too far into the filter it can cause air flow distortion like Tucker mentioned in an earlier post. Glad you worked it out.

BOD89LX

Established Member
Update

Just wanted to give a update to this post. I received the heat shield for the 13-14 and a new style dry filter and installed them. Problems solved car drives like it did when it was stock.:banana::banana:

I also want to give a thank you to JLT for taking the time to listen to their customers and give them what they want and deliver a world class product and the service to back to up.

Tucker

Update

Just wanted to give a update to this post. I received the heat shield for the 13-14 and a new style dry filter and installed them. Problems solved car drives like it did when it was stock.:banana::banana:

I also want to give a thank you to JLT for taking the time to listen to their customers and give them what they want and deliver a world class product and the service to back to up.

Great news,
Thank you for reporting back.

Enjoy
Jay

klcmcse

Established Member

[youtube_browser]8auyB80x9pk[/youtube_browser]

Please, what happened to the video, I am having some issues w the GT500 since I installed the intake. I have not changed my tune from the purchase of the Big Air 127MM CF /SCT Tuner Combo. Thanks Kev

Users who are viewing this thread