127mm JLT Questions for those who have it.

BOD89LX

Established Member
For the owners here who have the JLT 127mm intake are you having any problems with it, like the higher speed stall if you push in the clutch and the throttle surge during coasting down hill with the cruise on and also with it off. I am thinking of switching to the 123mm or the stock set up with the res. delete. I know this intake is good for about 10-15 rwhp on my car but not sure its worth it for the issues I have with it.

Update problem solved thanks JLT

Last edited:

rancid

Established Member
I have 2.4 pulley and dual 65mm t/b and a tune.

I've seen two other members have issues with the JLT with other mods and it was directly related to the tune. I'd see if you can do some datalogging as suggested and get an updated one or go with a custom dyno tune if possible.

farmboy90

Established Member
I had the exact same problem. My 127mm CF JLT intake is for sale if anyone wants it! :)

Ultimately, I didn't want to tune to "mask" any issues that were coming from the design of the 127mm JLT tube. I switched to a Whipple and all problems are gone.

BOD89LX

Established Member
Have you contacted the Tuner with your issues??? Sent datalogs???

I've seen two other members have issues with the JLT with other mods and it was directly related to the tune. I'd see if you can do some datalogging as suggested and get an updated one or go with a custom dyno tune if possible.

I had the exact same problem. My 127mm CF JLT intake is for sale if anyone wants it! :)

Ultimately, I didn't want to tune to "mask" any issues that were coming from the design of the 127mm JLT tube. I switched to a Whipple and all problems are gone.

Yes car has been data logged and runs great other then the two small problems I have. Like I said for the 10-15 hp I am gaining I am not sure it is worth it and wanted to know if other people have this intake without the issues I have.

GreggsSVT

Established Member
i had the exact same problem. My 127mm cf jlt intake is for sale if anyone wants it! :)

ultimately, i didn't want to tune to "mask" any issues that were coming from the design of the 127mm jlt tube. I switched to a whipple and all problems are gone.

smart man !

farmboy90

Established Member
Is there also problems with the JLT 123 and stalling?

Not sure, I've never looked at one of those closely enough. The problem with the 127mm is that it is missing the bellmouth/velocity stack that is found on the stock filter box, the whipple, etc. One option I did try (and which works PERFECTLY) is to simply remove the ram air tube from the filter box. The car ran totally fine with the 127 JLT CF kit when I did that. It just wasn't a good long term option for me.

Did you go with the $600+ whipple MAF, CAI?

Yes. But I bought a used one from a forum member here, so didn't pay that much.

betiwin

Established Member
Hmm, I have heard this from my tuner as well. The velocity stack is missing for the JLT's and this causes stalling and some surging issues and the whipple does not. Maybe an extra 270 worth spending.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I may also go this route. I have finally found a CJ setup, which is what I wanted all along. I have ordered the CJ inlet, and I finally found a site that sales a 5" silicon piece just in case I need to increase the length. Trying to make it work with the stock airbox, think I have the right solution.

But I also noticed I have a very slight surge with the JLT 127 piece, that I did not have with the Taska 123 piece. (basically the whipple) and I have tried a few different things.

BOD89LX

Established Member
Guessing you are using a different air filter...humor me, try the stock filter and see if the surge goes away.

The stock filter is too small to fit on the 127mm and after some more talking some more with a few people it seems to come down to the ram air tube causing the problems and I will try blocking it off for street use and take it off at the track or just switch to the stock CAI with the res delete.

farmboy90

Established Member
The stock filter is too small to fit on the 127mm and after some more talking some more with a few people it seems to come down to the ram air tube causing the problems and I will try blocking it off for street use and take it off at the track or just switch to the stock CAI with the res delete.

It absolutely is caused by turbulence from the ram air tube. If you remove it and tape off the hole (like I did) you will notice an immediate stop to all stalling/surging issues. Undo the tape and reinstall the tube, and it will come right back. I did this experiment 3 straight times to confirm this.

shelbysvt

Established Member
Does the regular carbon fiber res delete JLT sells and airaid filter cause any issues like this? I have that on my car now and haven't noticed anything. At least not any stalling.

Myfast70

Established Member
Does the regular carbon fiber res delete JLT sells and airaid filter cause any issues like this? I have that on my car now and haven't noticed anything. At least not any stalling.

No. I did the stock replacement JLT and blue dry airaid filter, no tune and no issues :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread