127mm JLT Questions for those who have it.

Tucker

I've got a Jlt 127 on our 13 and a Lund tune from van ours runs perfect!!!!
Burnout!!
Thank you :beer:
Agreed. I have finished my project, started a thread in the GT500 section. Came out well, and running good :) I may get a 4inch coupler though, I'll see. But heh the CJ inlet worked out fine.

20130119_175357.jpg

I'm sorry, but there is no comparison:coolman: Just looking at them both side by side you can see the JLT is larger, smoother and has less couplers.
A simple tune adjustment or easier yet, air deflector would have saved you time and money.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Thank you :beer:

I'm sorry, but there is no comparison:coolman: Just looking at them both side by side you can see the JLT is larger, smoother and has less couplers.
A simple tune adjustment or easier yet, air deflector would have saved you time and money.

That may be true, but while I have had my tuner, (which I believe knows what he is doing), send me tunes, I also tried adjusting the filter, I just decided to go with my 123 Taska. I feel if the stock box has the fresh air coming in, why should a aftermarket one, which is supposed to improve the design and power, why should I have to limit it, close it off, or do other things to it to make it work correctly.

The JLT is a nice piece for sure, but I just decided to go this route, which BTW did cost me less than buying a JLT new, and it works. So it is what it is.

farmboy90

Established Member
Farmboy90, let's be honest and up front here.
You didn't just swap intakes and got perfect drivability. You swapped intakes and TUNES and say it's better.

True. The new intake required its own tune since it is quite different than the 127mm JLT tube. Is the new tune addressing some turbulence issue? It absolutely could be. I'll never know for sure I guess. All I know is it runs fine, and neither tuner could make it run fine before.

What we'll never know is what was changed in the tune to run better. I really wish you gave your tuner a chance to make it right before jumping ship and bad mouthing something you don't know for sure was the cause of your issues.

Lund tried several tunes for me. He was very responsive. Honestly I could never get past the bad detonation issues I was having, so I have no idea about any surging or stalling that might have been there with a Lund tune. I never felt confident driving the car with the detonation problems, so testing for stalling/surging never crossed my mind.

And I apologize if you think I was bad mouthing. I've never once said that JLT makes a bad product or to stay away from it. In fact, I've said the opposite many many times in various threads. Look, a million guys run your tube and have wonderful results. I just wasn't completely satisfied--that's my right and not in any way a disparaging comment about your product.

To be honest, I would *love* to have the tube. It looks much better IMO. Like I said, I just wasn't completely satisfied with the tunes (and their revisions) from two different tuners. Customer satisfaction is most important right? So I found something that worked great for my car. Doesn't look as nice, but it works, and I am happy with that.

We added the screen and it helped some tuners get cars to run better, but now some (not all) are getting a funny blip or surge here or there. So were at it again and have a new filter in the works to put to rest any argument about turbulence. The new filter will have a lip or stop molded into the flange that butts up to the tube, so the air flows over the radius of the flange and into the tube, not hitting any edge.

We have a prototype and tested MAF frequency against the original and it's better by only 1 thousandths, which is minor, but now no one can say it's the intake.

This is great news. I am glad to hear things are being refined. I'd be a perfect candidate to test it out since my car can easily reproduce this problem. ;)

I am serious about that offer by the way, as I'd love to see progress on this. Like I said, I really like your tube the best (it looks great). I just had no luck with several revisions from two tuners. Granted they were fighting two issues: stalling/surging and the detonation, but I want the car to run perfectly and it wasn't. To be honest, as a paying customer, I actually don't care what the issue is. I pay money for a product and want it to work satisfactorily.

Tucker

Lund tried several tunes for me. He was very responsive. Honestly I could never get past the bad detonation issues I was having, so I have no idea about any surging or stalling that might have been there with a Lund tune. I never felt confident driving the car with the detonation problems, so testing for stalling/surging never crossed my mind.

So wait a minute,
Your in this thread telling people you couldn't get the car to run right with the JLT Big Air so you swapped to the Tasca unit and all is good, when it was never the intake causing your problems in the first place?:shrug:

You just said you never even had stalling or surging that you knew of as your issue was with the tune.

Then why did you come in a thread telling people the opposite? Dude, that's not cool or even true.
I had the exact same problem. My 127mm CF JLT intake is for sale if anyone wants it! :)

Ultimately, I didn't want to tune to "mask" any issues that were coming from the design of the 127mm JLT tube. I switched to a Whipple and all problems are gone.
I take great pride in my business and our products, so seeing false posts like yours is upsetting.
You had tune issues, changed intakes and tunes because you were told to and now bad mouth our product when you don't know the real issue.:nonono:

You might want to go back and re read your posts, your contradicting yourself.

farmboy90

Established Member
Tucker,

I don't have a link handy to my thread that goes into gory details about the issues, so let me summarize as best I can.

- Ordered everything from Van for the 13-6 kit. Had nothing but detonation problems. I have no idea if I had surging/stalling/etc type issues since I never got passed the detonation problems.

- Then I switched tuners only. No detonation problems whatsoever. Still had the JLT CF kit. All I changed was the tuner. Now that the detonation problems were gone, I could enjoy the car a bit more. At this point I noticed the stalling surging issue. Was asked to block the ram air hole, and all problems went away. Car ran like a dream. The tuner sent some revisions to help with those issues so that I didn't have to block the hole. But I wasn't happy knowing that the tune was trying to compensate for this, so I decided to swtich. Is the new tune still compensating? Could very well be. I rely on vendors not to lie to customers.

Hope that helps clarify the different steps and issues, etc.

shelbysvt

Established Member
What I am wondering since now Jay is in this thread finally is why didn't you just stick with the OEM design? As far as the screen that is in the filter etc. SVT obviously did all those little things for a reason I would presume. Why would you design something that eliminates those things then later incorporate them back to fix the problems many people are having later? Why not just do it right from the start and save yourself all this aggrevation?

P.S. I still plan on ordering this part one day though

Tucker

What I am wondering since now Jay is in this thread finally is why didn't you just stick with the OEM design? As far as the screen that is in the filter etc. SVT obviously did all those little things for a reason I would presume. Why would you design something that eliminates those things then later incorporate them back to fix the problems many people are having later? Why not just do it right from the start and save yourself all this aggrevation?

P.S. I still plan on ordering this part one day though
The Big Air was first used on the 07-09 GT500 which doesn't use a screen and has a less sensitive MAF sensor.

We built, tested and used the kit on these cars with 0 issues

The 2010 uses the same sensor, but uses a screen.
We tested and used on 2010's with 0 issues

The 2011 Fords changed to a new MAF sensor using frequency as a measurement.

We used the no screen filters on tons of 2011+ GT500's without issue as well.
After a few stall issues were blamed on no screen, we jumped on it and had S&B put screens in the filters for us. This fixed nearly 99% of all issues on GT500's and S/C'd 5.0's.

As more and more kits get out and more tuners make tunes for them we find intermittent issues with a small % of cars. Again, the intake is to blame even though most do not have the issue.

Having a car that uses this intake is great for us, as we have witnessed tunes that do this or that and tunes that drive perfect.
We can see for ourselves it's in the tune, but in order to get all blame off of us we make any change or improvements we can.

What I've been trying to explain is so much of how my product is received is dependent on the tune to be 100% for that vehicle and all it's parts in the combination.

Add one throttle body or another to a car and tunes must change and if 1 adjustment is over looked or not correct the car runs poor.

With our new tune, our personal car runs awesome with the non screen filter, screened filter and new lip and screen filter, so how is the intake the cause of the problem?
Like I said in a previous post, we have 1 mold for plastic and 1 for CF, so all tubes are the same, but tunes adjust thousands of parameters and if just one is off you'll have a drivability issue.

We found on the 2011 5.0 many tuners are adjusting drive by wire tables to make throttle response crisper as well as wheel TQ error parameters and this was causing all sorts of surging even on a N/A car. They were over tuning the car and causing this same surge as described here and they blamed the intakes. One kit may be ok with these changes, but another may not. So we sent out tunes to fix many of the cars and got with the tuners to help fix them.
What works with one combo or brand of parts may not work with another.
Having a tune that makes a car run correct is not a "fix", it's a good tune!

Last edited:

shelbysvt

Established Member
The Big Air was first used on the 07-09 GT500 which doesn't use a screen and has a less sensitive MAF sensor.

We built, tested and used the kit on these cars with 0 issues

The 2010 uses the same sensor, but uses a screen.
We tested and used on 2010's with 0 issues

The 2011 Fords changed to a new MAF sensor using frequency as a measurement.

We used the no screen filters on tons of 2011+ GT500's without issue as well.
After a few stall issues were blamed on no screen, we jumped on it and had S&B put screens in the filters for us. This fixed nearly 99% of all issues on GT500's and S/C'd 5.0's.

As more and more kits get out and more tuners make tunes for them we find intermittent issues with a small % of cars. Again, the intake is to blame even though most do not have the issue.

Having a car that uses this intake is great for us, as we have witnessed tunes that do this or that and tunes that drive perfect.
We can see for ourselves it's in the tune, but in order to get all blame off of us we make any change or improvements we can.

What I've been trying to explain is so much of how my product is received is dependent on the tune to be 100% for that vehicle and all it's parts in the combination.

Add one throttle body or another to a car and tunes must change and if 1 adjustment is over looked or not correct the car runs poor.

With our new tune, our personal car runs awesome with the non screen filter, screened filter and new lip and screen filter, so how is the intake the cause of the problem?

I see. But Jay why did ford put that screen in the first place on the newer cars? I understand the whole concept if it is isn't broken don't fix it but why not copy what ford is doing as they do it on each year of the car. Because they change little things here and there.

Also it seems with the exception of this person most people I have seen who have the problem have it with the lund tunes. Why is Lund having a problem with these intakes? Or even when they are mixed with ford racing throttle bodies. He has all the same stuff on his 13. I would assume it is just as simple as replicating his own personal tune to everyone else's mail order tune unless his own personal car has tiny issues as well that we do not know about for example the hanging idle some people have experienced with the oval TB.

Though for what its worth you definitely hands down have the best intake on the market and your customer service is right on top.

Tucker

I see. But Jay why did ford put that screen in the first place on the newer cars? I understand the whole concept if it is isn't broken don't fix it but why not copy what ford is doing as they do it on each year of the car. Because they change little things here and there.
I explained that in my post, but can add to it.
Keep in mind, we have been building intakes for 9 years. Ford put screens in front of the MAF on all 96-04 cars too. We don't reuse them as the filters we use do a great job straightening out the air.

We test everything we put out and if were not having an issue with something, why change it?
Putting the screens in cost us a good amount to do, but trust me if I knew it was a fix all I would have done it from the get go, but we didn't have any drivability

Also it seems with the exception of this person most people I have seen who have the problem have it with the lund tunes. Why is Lund having a problem with these intakes? Or even when they are mixed with ford racing throttle bodies. He has all the same stuff on his 13. I would assume it is just as simple as replicating his own personal tune to everyone else's mail order tune unless his own personal car has tiny issues as well that we do not know about for example the hanging idle some people have experienced with the oval TB.
I'm not sure people realize the amount of intakes we sell or tunes Lund does.
You can bet the issues you read about are in the 1-5% of all intakes and tunes sold.

So when an issue comes up that's not normal, Jon makes adjustments for the customer, not all cars are exactly the same. As well as things like stock plug gap, gas from all over the country and combo of parts.
The bottom line is when these things come up we all try to help.

Though for what its worth you definitely hands down have the best intake on the market and your customer service is right on top.

Thank you
Jay

GreggsSVT

Established Member
Thank you both. What I want to make clear is us making adjustments to our filter is to help tuners have less issues and to eliminate what we have been blamed for. Because we know a good tune is the cure we can not swap filters for free. We are just trying to work together with tuners to help them, help us.

When I personally see the changes with simple tune changes I know it's in the tune. Look were trying to make 700+RWHP cars run like stock, no easy feat. Sometimes it takes a few tune adjustments and sometimes it takes a flawless air path, but I do not feel it's all the intake especially when it's a very small % with issues.
New filters should be here in a week or so and of course we'll do what we can for our customers.

IMO good customer service would be to replace the filter free of charge.

bergenfelter

Thanks

Jay - Thanks for your responsiveness on my order - I went with the 127mm intake and the 65mm CJ TB on my 13 - Jay held off the order until the new filters came in and it was shipped yesterday, Have the Lund tune and I am confident all will be good. Jay - Thanks for the outstanding customer service - I look forward to the results.

BOD89LX

Established Member
Jay - Thanks for your responsiveness on my order - I went with the 127mm intake and the 65mm CJ TB on my 13 - Jay held off the order until the new filters came in and it was shipped yesterday, Have the Lund tune and I am confident all will be good. Jay - Thanks for the outstanding customer service - I look forward to the results.

Can you post up some pictures of the new filter so we can see what it looks like?

Tytus2012

Established Member
I ordered vans 13-4 kit which includes jlt 127 mm cai. I just confirmed that my order will be sent with the new designed filter should be here tomorrow. I will post pics when i get it.

Tucker

This is the drawing of the filter stop.

It makes it so the filter only goes on the tube as far as needed and gives a softer edge for the air to flow over.

The step is .10 and the tubes are .10-.14 so air flow wasn't bad to begin with, but this will be even better.

Tucker

Jay: Any thoughts of offering a "Blue" Filter option on you Cold air intakes??? Thanx..

We did blue filters in the past and the oil fades fast to a blueish grey and people complain.

The oil is still there doing its job, but the color faded out.

We do have dry filters coming too. They flow as good or better than the oil and you just replace them Vs. cleaning and reoiling.

I'll post more info on this soon.

TORQJNKY

Jay, my car has your 127 carbon intake, twin 65mm TB, 2.4 pulley and Lund tune. I've not driven the car enough to notice any issues. If you want to drive mine to see if you can replicate any of these problems or test your new filter vs old, let me know and I can take a day to do it.

spazpilot

Established Member
Jay

Does any of you intakes not require us to bend the hood cable tab up to avoid hitting the filter? I would prefer not to do that on my car?

Tucker

Jay, my car has your 127 carbon intake, twin 65mm TB, 2.4 pulley and Lund tune. I've not driven the car enough to notice any issues. If you want to drive mine to see if you can replicate any of these problems or test your new filter vs old, let me know and I can take a day to do it.
Thanks Craig, but I know you and your a very detailed person. If you haven't noticed what people are talking about you one of the majority and have a good tune! :beer:
Jay

Does any of you intakes not require us to bend the hood cable tab up to avoid hitting the filter? I would prefer not to do that on my car?

Did you write me an email a few months ago...
this is not on all cars and is such a tiny deal.

We want the largest filter and tube we can get to make the most power.

I've seen many that didn't have to do it, but all your doing is bending a 1/4" tab of metal 25* up, easy and simple and can go back at anytime.

It's all part of modding cars, but this is minor in the overall scheme of things.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread