10.2 Evo at Atco tonight

bubbrubb

evoviiiyou said:
I did some research on the evo board and it could have been Al Friedmans Dyno Flash car which has gone a best of 9.98 or Curt Browns evo...I am waiting for replys. What color was that evo anyway?

Curt Brown's car is black (and in Pittsburgh) & he also holds the world record for stock turbo 1/4 mile with a 10.92 @124mph. the last time i spoke to him (about 4-5 weeks ago) he had almost all of his gt35r turbo (same one that the black AMS 601+awhp evo had). now if i remember correctly, Curt is looking at trapping anywhere from 142-147+ and getting thrown out of keystone raceway park some time soon for not having a cage yet.

If I do go to watch him i'll be sure to bring my video camera & wear my depends :D

Last edited by a moderator:

bubbrubb

hmmm, kurt already ran his new off the shelf gt35r.

here is what he said on evoM

Unfourtunatly I only ran a 10.3@139. Off the shelf AMS GT35r kit and Exedy triple plate are the only things changed since the 10.92 stock turbo pass. I was plauged with problems ranging from boost control issues(that caused problem #2), fooling with the boost controller on the street trying to get a solid 38psi(profec b issues) caused me to use two gallons of the last four gallons of c-16 I had left, that was two years old.. Then the hillbilly track we were at had some Cam2?? 110 octane fuel that smelled like pump gas, needless to say I had alot of knock and had to run on the safe side. Ran 35 psi with an old MBC off the bottom port of the WG, caused lazy boost response, but who cares, there was no traction anyway, spun in every gear as im just on radial tires. Also it was hot as hell, so I drove 130 mile to some hilljacked track for nothing, all issues should be fixed by Sunday for another shot at a better track.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
AMS runs the GT35R on the road course and that is the turbo they ran when they did a 10.11 @ 141mph.

jasil

Established Member
Curt Brown, is not human and until someone proves otherwise his times should be outlawed....same goes for Shep and Ivey.

I'll stand by my original statements. I could debate this all night long.

jasil

Established Member
astrocreep96 said:
AMS runs the GT35R on the road course and that is the turbo they ran when they did a 10.11 @ 141mph.

Your right they did, but the car was also beat by a stage III SRT 4. That was only putting down 350FWHP and beat very badly by a Z06 with less than 15K in it. AMS's Evo did great, but there are other car's that most things better stock or modded. I don't think one of those cars is a SRT 4, but they are proving to be great autocross and small track cars. The C5 platform on the other hand is superior in performance not ergonomics, but performance.

jasil

Established Member
Last post and I'm done remember that with money you can make anything fast. Curt's car has 15K in parts in it granted he did everything himself, so ther goes labor.

He's shifting in the 9.5K range :bowdown:

EvoOwner

Now with even MORE ownage
Established Member
99cobraclone said:
Silver but it had a full decal wrap around the car.

sounds like al friedmans dynoflash car, he is from CT and runs at Atco from time to time. His car is sliver with blue flames in the front. This was back when he had less power and was running 11's:

cover.jpg

he has since run 9's with his current setup.

Last edited:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
damn im still hanging at #117 on the dsmtimes list.....that was like ummm 6 years ago....

99cobraclone

Established Member
EvoOwner said:
sounds like al friedmans dynoflash car, he is from CT and runs at Atco from time to time. His car is sliver with blue flames in the front. This was back when he had less power and was running 11's:

cover.jpg

he has since run 9's with his current setup.

yeah that looks like the car, he had slicks on and ran 10.2 twice and bogged once. He was fooling around on his lap top a lot in between runs.

BLK96NAPWER

Established Member
Als car is also featured in the latest issue of turbo with his tips and write up. It shows his record 9.98 @ 138 pass.
99cobraclone said:
yeah that looks like the car, he had slicks on and ran 10.2 twice and bogged once. He was fooling around on his lap top a lot in between runs.

3000ways

Established Member
l3d0hna3d said:
Holy shit thats alot. I could be in the 9's with that much.

What are you talking about, high 9s-low 10s for $10-15K is relatively cheap, especially for a 2.0L that runs low to mid 13s stock and only comes with around 230-240WHP stock. Perhaps you forget that it's a lot harder and expensive to go from 11s to 10s, then it is to go from 12s to 11s. I mean there are plenty of fast newer Grand Prixs and Regals, none I can think of run 9s and are still street driven (From ClubGP.com)-

1 Zooomer 97 1997 Red 2 door GTP [email protected]
2 Digital Ken 1997 Black 2 door GTP [email protected]
3 Scott A. Cook 2000 Dark Bronzemist Bonn 4 door Bonneville [email protected]
4 John T 1998 Black 4 door GTP [email protected] [email protected]
5 Chris Hoenle 2000 White 4 door GTX CSC [email protected]
6 Ed Morad 97 dark teal 2 door GTP The parts guy [email protected]
7 Bridgett Meekhof 2001 Black 2 door Monte Carlo SS (CSC) [email protected]
8 Chris Yates 2000 Silvermist 4 door GTP [email protected]
9 House 99 SILVERMIST 4 door Fastest ZZP Pimp [email protected]
10 chad d. conklin 1999 Med. Gulf Blue 4 door Undecided [email protected]
11 Tim Beek 2000 Red Fire Metallic 2 door GT ( Turbo ) [email protected]
12 Chris - Greenie - Green 1998 Bright White 4 door GTP [email protected]
13 Scott A. Murray 1997 Jasper Green 4 door GS [email protected]
14 Joe Blown 2000 Black/Red 2 door Pontiac GTP [email protected]
15 Jason Williams 1998 Black 4 door GS [email protected]
16 Don Kraus 1988 Red 2 door Fiero Kit Car [email protected]
17 Gordon Doran 2001 Blue 2 door Chev, MonteSS [email protected]
18 Henry Lussier 2000 bright red 4 door GTP 4 door Sedan [email protected]
19 Craig Scaturro 2002 Black 2 door Monte Carlo SS(CSC) [email protected]
20 Matthew M Jahn 97 Red 2 door GTP [email protected]
21 Jeff Johnson 2004 Black 4 door GTP Comp G [email protected]
22 Lyle Svendsen 1986 Black/Flamed 2 door Fiero GT (L67) [email protected]
23 Steve Lipowski 1998 Black 2 door GTP [email protected]
24 Brandon Janes 2004 greystone 4 door grand prix gtp [email protected]
25 Clint Wiese 1998 Black 2 door Monte Carlo z34 (Turbo) [email protected]

Last edited:

3000ways

Established Member
jasil said:
Your right they did, but the car was also beat by a stage III SRT 4. That was only putting down 350FWHP and beat very badly by a Z06 with less than 15K in it. AMS's Evo did great, but there are other car's that most things better stock or modded. I don't think one of those cars is a SRT 4, but they are proving to be great autocross and small track cars. The C5 platform on the other hand is superior in performance not ergonomics, but performance.

Only had 350WHP, please provide a link and verify that? Your acting like that SRT-4 pretty much had a couple of of bolt ons and a Stage III and that was enough for it to be competitive. I mean honestly I give Lake Effect Racing props for their hard work, but it was a lot of hard work and money to put that car together and shows just how experienced Lake Effect Racing is. Along with Lake Effect there were other sponsors such as Mopar and PsiFi. AMS I don't think did to shabby for their first attempt, and I guarrantee they spent a lot less than a lot of those other teams that placed in front of them. Jasil you claim to be a 4G63 fan, but every opportunity you find to diss the EVO you jump on.

From SRTForums-
The Blue 2004 SRT-4 from last year, the deerkiller, returns to terrorize the creatures of the night again. Upgrades from last year are limited to weight reduction. They put the car on scales last week and turned out a 2555 pound number. The A/C remains in the car, it's fully streetable, and should be pretty damn quick for a Neon. The car is S3R for this event!! It will carry car number 63.

Also please stop using ridiculous terms such as superior (makes you sound like a Nazi or some sh*t) for you have yet to have proven a damn thing on any of your posts here or on evom.net. Your just a lot of talk and opinions, no facts. I mean the EVO can never compete, it's just utter crap compared to American platforms that cost twice as much- http://www.forcedperformance.net/downloads/devofordpass.mpg

Last edited:

jasil

Established Member
No big brake kit. Stock calipers, pads, and the stage 1 rotors from Mopar supercenter. Stage 3 turbo, stage 3 coilovers, mopar sways, IPP carbon fiber hood and trunk, mopar titanium strut bars, Maxxfab side exit exhaust. Stock air box, stock wires, stage 3 plugs which ever one Mopar recommends. Stage 3 O2 housing (did not get a chance to put on the Maxxfab 3" stage 3 O2 housing before he left). Bunch of gauges EGT, oil pressure/temp/fuel pressure/AF. No wide band. Sparco seats. 1/2 roll cage. All I can think of.

We put the stage 3 turbo on Wednesday night and he left for One Lap Thursday morning. Cant do that on an aftermarket kit.

Read the thread on SRT Forums 3000ways the car weighed 2550lbs and was pushing 350FWHP stock block, stock trans, you can do the math around 12K in the car. Here is the link http://www.srtforums.com/forums/sh
owthread.php?t=136569&page=10&pp=15

I see your not argueing with me anymore about Danny Popp's car being supercharged. That's because it wasn't.

I'm not saying anything bad about the EVO. IMO it's the best 4cyl. sports car out there, but when people start saying: A EVO that run's 10's is just as reliable as any other car running 10's that's bullcrap. That the drivetrain is just fine for drag racing that's more bullcrap. Or people jump all over the nut's of 1 or 2 EVO owner's cars that always happen to do extraordinary things....Curt Brown....or AMS and think that there awesome results are somehow the norm.

Last edited:

jasil

Established Member
"Also please stop using ridiculous terms such as superior (makes you sound like a Nazi or some sh*t) for you have yet to have proven a damn thing on any of your posts here or on evom.net. Your just a lot of talk and opinions, no facts. I mean the EVO can never compete, it's just utter crap compared to American platforms that cost twice as much- http://www.forcedperformance.net/downloads/devofordpass.mpg[/QUOTE]"

That GT40 finished way way back...obviously a testament to the lack of driver skill not the car...who knows given equal drivers AMS EVO might have spanked it too.

Prove what? You don't think a Z06 is a "Superior" car to a EVO? It's not hard to say. I think your one of those people that is so brand loyal and so caught up in the "Car" that you can't accept or even acknowledge that something better could exist.

I'm going to use that word "Superior" again. I think the Carrera GT is superior to a ZO6. All IMO of course.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
evoviiiyou said:
I have a 10 sec capable evo that was built for the street, reliability, no lag from turbo and she is bullet proof, if you launch the cars the right way on street tires, I stress street tires, the diffs, axles and box will last as long as any racing/street combo.

He is somewhat right, there are ways to launch to not stress the drivetrain.(slip the clutch, use street tires) However you won't be cutting any phenominal 60 ft's, which would make AWD a handicap not an advantage.

LTHL SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Yeah 15-20k is alot well you figuere man any import you have to drop that much into it just to make it moove lol......but you take a 03cobra the stock internals and evrything can support ALOT of hp atleaste 700+ so all you need to do is spend 9k and you can get 600+rwhp

Last edited:

99cobraclone

Established Member
I saw the car I was talking about in Turbo magazine tonight. I thought it said that it is the fastest fully stock interior evo but there was no way in hell that he ran a 9.98 with a full interior because this car was stripped inside when he was running back to back 10.2's at atco. It is one fast ass car though!

Users who are viewing this thread