10.2 Evo at Atco tonight

99cobraclone

Established Member
I can't believe what I saw but I saw a heavily modded evo run 10.2 (at least twice) at Atco tonight. The car had decals all over and it appeared to be sponsored but it was street legal. It had Conneticut tags but the interior was pretty much stripped sans two racing seats and the dude's lap top. He was an older guy too which made it strange. I didn't see one single 03/04 cobra there which made the night even stranger. I didn't even thing that evos, no matter how modded, could run this fast.

fre

Established Member
There are two 9 second evos I know about. Al Friedman and Turbotrix. Al did it all turbo and turbotrix used nitrous. There are a few 10 second ones out there. I could be one of them with about 2000-3000 more bucks, but then I would need another 2k for a roll cage. It takes between 15-20k to get one into the 10s reliably.

99cobraclone

Established Member
fre said:
There are two 9 second evos I know about. Al Friedman and Turbotrix. Al did it all turbo and turbotrix used nitrous. There are a few 10 second ones out there. I could be one of them with about 2000-3000 more bucks, but then I would need another 2k for a roll cage. It takes between 15-20k to get one into the 10s reliably.
Damn that much for 10s? Don't quote me but won't $8000 plus a cobra get you in to the deep tens and below?

DocEwww

Bottle Happy
Established Member
99cobraclone said:
Damn that much for 10s? Don't quote me but won't $8000 plus a cobra get you in to the deep tens and below?

Its much harder with a 4 banger...hell there isnt even ONE 10 second SRT-4 yet

jasil

Established Member
fre said:

I disagree...you can't run reliable 10's in a EVO/DSM platform. You can make the power, but you can't bulletproof the Transfer case. You can upgrade the diffs, shafts, even the gears, but in the end the case will break.

That is the huge downfall of the AWD platform. At 2K a pop it doesn't take many before you will give up on drag racing a AWD car. I will say this SHEP and TRE make some great tranny products, but there is still no guarantee.

EvoOwner

Now with even MORE ownage
Established Member
jasil said:
That is the huge downfall of the AWD platform. At 2K a pop it doesn't take many before you will give up on drag racing a AWD car. I will say this SHEP and TRE make some great tranny products, but there is still no guarantee.

if you are looking for reliability guarantees, you probably shouldn't shoot for a 10 second vehicle, no matter what type of car.

what color was the evo at Atco?

99cobraclone

Established Member
EvoOwner said:
if you are looking for reliability guarantees, you probably shouldn't shoot for a 10 second vehicle, no matter what type of car.

what color was the evo at Atco?

Silver but it had a full decal wrap around the car.

BLK96NAPWER

Established Member
I have a 10 sec capable evo that was built for the street, reliability, no lag from turbo and she is bullet proof, if you launch the cars the right way on street tires, I stress street tires, the diffs, axles and box will last as long as any racing/street combo.
jasil said:
I disagree...you can't run reliable 10's in a EVO/DSM platform. You can make the power, but you can't bulletproof the Transfer case. You can upgrade the diffs, shafts, even the gears, but in the end the case will break.

BLK96NAPWER

Established Member
I did some research on the evo board and it could have been Al Friedmans Dyno Flash car which has gone a best of 9.98 or Curt Browns evo...I am waiting for replys. What color was that evo anyway?

jasil

Established Member
EVOIII, that is not true and you know it. That's always, always, been the problem with DSM's. That's why Buschur switched, Rau switched, and Glazer stopped racing....they couldn't keep trannys together.

A low 10 second EVO is not going to be breaking any records in the handling dept. they are much better just slightly modded. Once you put on a GT35R or similiar sized turbo to run low 10's you severely handicap you roadcourse abilities. AMS has what "30K" in their EVO and Danny Popp smoked their car in a H/C bolt on Z06 pushing 500rwhp. He did have 5K in suspension mods though and Danny is a awesome driver. Broke 7's cobra ran within a car of Chris's 650+whp EVO for 5K in mods and ran 6.7's at the track compared to Chris's 7.3's.

That's why AMS keeps switching combos on their car from 2.0 to 2.3 depending if they are going to road race or not due to the lag running the 2.0 configuration and a big turbo not too mention it lived on race gas the whole event.

EVO's rock and the 4G63 holds a special place in my soul, but the AWD does not and I wish EVO's were RWD.

Good luck with your car it looks like it is running well.

BLK96NAPWER

Established Member
You need to research my evo, the lag issues associated with the 35 series turbos is true and that is why the perfect mix of drag/circle track lies in the 30 series turbos. A fully streetable 6xx hp evo that pulls one g on the skid pad. Also you should check out www.switzerperformanceinnovation.com and look at my friends 700-800awhp white evo that is going to be a street car that will be on the streets in Cleveland and Detroit, this car will be a better handler than mine and is utilizing a custom block displacment to overcome the lag issues. What you have said is true, but we have come along way from those Shep and Buscher years...Just ask Tym Switzer(my builder) parts are better and manufacturing has finaly caught up to the high hp's these awd cars are putting out. I am impressed on your history knowledge of the 4g63 fo sho, and thanks on the good wishes, I hope to video a 10 sec run very soon. Les
jasil said:
EVOIII, that is not true and you know it. That's always, always, been the problem with DSM's. That's why Buschur switched, Rau switched, and Glazer stopped racing....they couldn't keep trannys together.

A low 10 second EVO is not going to be breaking any records in the handling dept. they are much better just slightly modded. Once you put on a GT35R or similiar sized turbo to run low 10's you severely handicap you roadcourse abilities. AMS has what "30K" in their EVO and Danny Popp smoked their car in a H/C bolt on Z06 pushing 500rwhp. He did have 5K in suspension mods though and Danny is a awesome driver. Broke 7's cobra ran within a car of Chris's 650+whp EVO for 5K in mods and ran 6.7's at the track compared to Chris's 7.3's.

That's why AMS keeps switching combos on their car from 2.0 to 2.3 depending if they are going to road race or not due to the lag running the 2.0 configuration and a big turbo not too mention it lived on race gas the whole event.

EVO's rock and the 4G63 holds a special place in my soul, but the AWD does not and I wish EVO's were RWD.

Good luck with your car it looks like it is running well.

Last edited by a moderator:

broeli

Established Member
I don't think 10 second Evo's are all that rare to see. At least not here in Ohio with Buschur and Switzer around and AMS not all that far away.
There are several Evo's within 5 miles of my house that run 10's...one was built by AMS.

jasil

Established Member
EVOIII, your right they have come a long way. The power has always been there it's just putting it down that causes the problem. I'm sure you saw Shep's latest runs....the bar has been raised I'll say that much 176MPH :bowdown:

bpclements

Established Member
Keep in mind that an Evo is not a DSM. Also, lag from big turbos is starting to become a thing of the past. Some may consider the GT35R a big turbo, but this turbo on a built 2.3L stroker will spool identical to the stock turbo making this an idela setup for both drag and track.

Since Chris' Evo was mentioned, keep in mind that Broke was on slicks and Chris was running street tires. I don't think that aspect is really mentioned or thought of when mentioning the times they ran. Once Chris gets his slicks and ups the rpm on the two-step from the 4800rpms that it was set at that night I am sure his times will improve greatly. He should be able to cut a 1.5-1.6 60 foot with all the torque his car makes. Not to be totally biased on Evo's, LOL, I have always been impressed with Broke's car and it is one fast Cobra for still having the stock Eaton.

Users who are viewing this thread