09 Mustang Spy Shots

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Formula51 said:
Bite your tongue! haha.

I am soooo happy the Camaro is not more retro. I am sick and tired of retro and believe the general buying public will be soon. The Camaro concept is fresh and leaves GM with lots of room to grow. What retro cues it has come from one of the most gorgeous pony car's ever built, the 1st gen Camaro. I would love to have a new Camaro to go with a pristine 69' sitting in the garage.

I always find it funny that so many of the Mustang guys like the Challenger. Perhaps the Ford vs. Chevy thing steers you to it, but sometimes I think the GT500 has persuaded ya'll to love heavy cars! The GT500 is a rare bread and I don't think you are going to see performance from the Challenger that is anywhere close to the GT500.

:beer: Here's hoping the Camaro is 3700#'s or less with 400+hp.

I know looks are subjective, but retro sells. :coolman: There's no denying the success of the new Mustang. I think GM could learn from this. The majority of people who dislike the retro Mustangs are of the younger crowd and are usually the one's who don't appreciate the beautiful lines of the muscle/pony cars of the late 60s & early 70s.
I agree with you about the Camaros of the late 60s. They were beautiful cars. I can really appreciate those 1st gen. models. However, I dislike every generation that came out after. :bored: I think GM should capitalize on this retro thing. We know Chrysler will. It can have a 1000 hp and it won't mean shit if GM cant sell them. They need an affordable, attractive and well built ponycar (like the Mustang :-D ) to compete. This is something they failed to do with the last gen. model.
BTW the Camaro concept isn't half bad. I just hate that hideous looking front end. :xpl: Well, at least it doesn't look like a GTO. :beer:

Last edited:

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
You know, there's something about both these concepts that Ford should take a look at - the side mirrors. BOTH of these cars have them attached to the lower part of the door rather than attached to the window. This 1) looks better than the F150 mirrors of the Mustang, and 2) Gives you a full front-reaching window which apparently still fully rolls down. I really hope Ford picks up on this for the restyling in a few years.

FBMphil

Established Member
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the Challenger, especially after seeing the SEMA drag version that was in this month's Hot Rod. It looks pudgy as hell.

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
Angel said:
1BADGT500 for Car Designer! :rockon: If the Challenger had the power to back up the looks as you suggest, combined with actually existing close to the Concept appearance, it would be a winner IMO.

Thanks Angel, glad someone here thinks like I do!! :beer:

Angel

aLL JaCkeD uP
Established Member
1BADGT500 said:
Thanks Angel, glad someone here thinks like I do!! :beer:

It has been said many times :D "no replacement for displacement." IMO, there is only so far One can go with a small Engine and upon hearing the rumble of the Terminators and GT500s, that old school Hot Rod love has returned. My Heritage is reflective of those days and no matter which style of car hits the Market, the 60s Style Muscle will always appeal best to me.

In regards to the new 09 Styles, combine a NA Engine having good Displacement and the 60s era hips, etc with the 05 Concept, and we have a winner. There is no denying the S197 can be improved in many ways;- yet there is truth evident in the Sales of them that they are well received in the Market.

My DD has the 4.6L Modular in her, but i would still prefer an old school Engine for reasons highlighted by many here on the Site.

cobracide

Established Member

Formula51

Established Member
Captain Beyond said:
I know looks are subjective, but retro sells. :coolman: There's no denying the success of the new Mustang. I think GM could learn from this. The majority of people who dislike the retro Mustangs are of the younger crowd and are usually the one's who don't appreciate the beautiful lines of the muscle/pony cars of the late 60s & early 70s.

I agree that currently retro sells. However, I (and maybe GM) know that will not last forever for several reasons. Most importantly, people will get tired of retro and lets face it the only cars worth copying are those from the mid-late 60's and a few from the early 70's! We have already copied most of them, thus spelling the end of the "retro" theme. The Camaro is modern enough that it has room to grow, whereas the Mustang will be in need of a complete and serious redesign in say 2012-15.

Captain Beyond said:
I agree with you about the Camaros of the late 60s. They were beautiful cars. I can really appreciate those 1st gen. models.

I know that was hard for you to say, haha.:D

Captain Beyond said:
However, I dislike every generation that came out after. :bored: I think GM should capitalize on this retro thing. We know Chrysler will. It can have a 1000 hp and it won't mean shit if GM cant sell them. They need an affordable, attractive and well built ponycar (like the Mustang :-D ) to compete. This is something they failed to do with the last gen. model.
BTW the Camaro concept isn't half bad. I just hate that hideous looking front end. :xpl: Well, at least it doesn't look like a GTO. :beer:

Scott Setlmeire has stated that the new Camaro will be priced nearly identical to the Mustang for both the V6 and V8 models. And for all intents and purposes it will be a better car: newer platform, independent rear suspension, perhaps MDS, more power, likely better fuel mileage, and hopefully a great interior.

I am with you on the front end. The "beak" is a little much for me although I have not seen it in person. Then again, what little criticism there was for the concept focused primarily on the front end, specifically the grill, "beak", and headlights. Maybe some things will change for production in a good way.

The Camaro is going to be a huge success. I think there is little denying that. The question becomes, "can GM keep it a success for years to come?" That is the million dollar question!

P.S. I personally like the 4th Gen F-body (not a fan of the 2nd or 3rd). It has a sports car feel and a very sleek look that is pretty unique. I feel like I am in a fighter jet cockpit when I drop into it as opposed to driving a family car (feeling when riding in my friends Mustang's). Then again, mine is lowered and has lots of other stuff done to it. I do however hate the crap interior! And NO interiors are not overrated, every second you are in a car is spent looking at and touching some part of the interior.

rezcobra

Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
"Gay puke"???...that's a good one. LMAO. Here's my own variation on the Giugiaro theme ....better heads lights, more aggressive grill, Cobra R hood...more Muscle Car feel.

Guigaro%20Mustang%20D'Tomaso2.jpg

Hey, the Giugiaro is just a start. "Italian Job"??? Figure Ford's an international company and if they want to get away from retro they might think internationally. Might make sense considering how many in here tout the virtues of European marques. The final upgrade is going to be a compromise anyway and Ford won't do anything that is "Un-American". BUT, Ford's going to have to push-the-envelope to keep up with the new designs for the Camaro and Challenger...which ARE wider, lower and meaner than the current S197 body style.

Cool. Better aerodynamics and a step away from the ugly boxey look. :pepper:

chuckstang

Established Member
cobracide said:
And for the doubters..

At an event yesterday, Chrysler’s top designer Tom Tremont stated the production 2008 Challenger will look nearly identical to the concept shown here. "You're not going to be able to tell the difference," Tremont said.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2006/07/2008_dodge_chal.html

Thats not proof, they said that about the gt500 as well.
A few things that will never make production, the rims, side mirrors, rear tail light treatment, and that slammed stance.

cobracide

Established Member
chuckstang said:
Thats not proof, they said that about the gt500 as well.
A few things that will never make production, the rims, side mirrors, rear tail light treatment, and that slammed stance.

Whatever chuck, you know everything.

chuckstang

Established Member
cobracide said:
Whatever chuck, you know everything.

Hey, Im not attacking you!
sorry if it seems that way!
Every car guy hopes it looks just like the concept including me but I just doubt it, if it does, I will publically appologize, but dont take it personal :thumbsup:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Formula51 said:
The Camaro will certainly be heavy as the government is just laughable. They want cars that are more efficient, thus pollute less and use less fuel. However, they also want us driving around in Sherman tanks that we could roll off a cliff or drive through some one's living room and not have a scratch on us. You can't have it both ways and as the safety standards increase, so does the weight.

Fortunately for them technology has been keeping up relatively well and we are able to maintain decent efficiency with the increased weight. However, the internal combustion process is only about 70% efficient at best and thus the weight will eventually hinder the efficiency.

Most predictions put the new Camaro in the 3600-3800# range. In 2009 that very well may be a lightweight for a "pony car". Pathetic isn't it.

Ohh the lengths the government will go to keep us safe from ourselves. One of my fellow mechanical engineering graduate students does work regarding traffic collisions and automobile safety and he says the main reasons for accidents and fatalities are that the cars are too quiet and the people feel to safe. People just need a little noise and fear! Do you think your mom would go speeding around in your modified Camaro, Mustang, Cobra, etc.? Hell no, she would be afraid and thus cautious and safe.

Sorry for the rant. :beer:
reminds me of an article written by the motortrend editor a while back; put a big sharpened spike in the middle of everyones steering wheel and you would never see a fender bender.

cobracide

Established Member
chuckstang said:
Hey, Im not attacking you!
sorry if it seems that way!
Every car guy hopes it looks just like the concept including me but I just doubt it, if it does, I will publically appologize, but dont take it personal :thumbsup:

Hey no problem. I don't take the internet personally. I'm just saying is that everything I found says that the production challenger will look exactly like the concept.

chuckstang

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
And it's going to be selling for MSRP. Right? ;-)

I don't think your going to see all these new old muscle cars bring over sticker for much longer...how long can it go on for really :bash:
The more competition, the less adms you will see IMO
I would like to see the Chevelle come back and Torino just for shits n giggles

F-150SPORT

Established Member
Retro usually sells.
I'm really surprised the retro Thunderbird wasn't more popular. I know someone who has a red convertible with the black leather interior, and it's really sharp looking.

wildosvt04

Established Member
F-150SPORT said:
Retro usually sells.
I'm really surprised the retro Thunderbird wasn't more popular. I know someone who has a red convertible with the black leather interior, and it's really sharp looking.

ADM's killed the Bird! That pissed the buying public off. After that it went downhill.

Can we have momment of silence for the best platform Ford ever built please......................................................................................................................................................................................................

Ok back to the topic!:rockon:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
wildosvt04 said:
ADM's killed the Bird! That pissed the buying public off. After that it went downhill.

Can we have momment of silence for the best platform Ford ever built please......................................................................................................................................................................................................

I'm no "platform" guru but that Lincoln LS is one hell of a chassis also! :-D

chuckstang

Established Member
wildosvt04 said:

Hmmm lets hope ADMs do not kill the best muscle car Ford has ever built, the GT500

Users who are viewing this thread