09 Mustang Spy Shots

Boomer v3.8

Established Member
It was the LA Autoshow not SEMA that it debuted...

Also..notice the lines and the grille.

Lines are VERY similar, however with where the fogs are located, it seems that the grille opening is closer to what we have now, not the Italian Stallion..

Best guess...take the current car... apply hips, front, rear onto the current car... and you'll have it.
It's gonna look hot.

Look at the idea behind the Guigiaro...not the overall package.
Its a HIGHLY stylized version.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I think it will only get a couple influences from the Italian car. Doesn't look drastically different from what we have now.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Calling the SN-197 "ugly" is a bit of a stretch. Some of the lines on the car are pretty nice.

I would like to see Ford ditch that high hood line and Myers plow like grill :xpl: and make the car more streamline:thumbsup: "Deep 6" the retro stuff and shorten the Lincoln LS like wheelbase :rockon:

In other words; Make a New Edge retro :pepper:

IMO

Last edited:

FBMphil

Established Member
I saw that damn thing last week in the exact same vicinity where those shots were taken. About 100 yards from the Ford experimental vehicle and wind tunnel buildings.

Edit - AND people have been seeing Aussie Falcons with MFG tags around these parts, so you know what that means :D Some kind of V8 sedan in the near future...

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
The top edge on the "new" front fender doesn't match anything on the back of the car. The backend has got to tighten up and sweep down a bit to match. If you're going to re-design it...re-design it. No bandaids, thanks. The Giugiaro Mustang was a good start.

Wider...lower...meaner...more modern, please.

FBMphil

Established Member
According to sources at another board, it's just a mockup mule for the new engines hitting the stangs, and they need a representative front end from the upcoming redesign to see how well it cools...

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Why the hell do you need Italians doing designs? It's American. The back looks like shit.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
chuckstang said:
that itailian made stang looks like gay puke

"Gay puke"???...that's a good one. LMAO. Here's my own variation on the Giugiaro theme ....better heads lights, more aggressive grill, Cobra R hood...more Muscle Car feel.

Guigaro%20Mustang%20D'Tomaso2.jpg

Hey, the Giugiaro is just a start. "Italian Job"??? Figure Ford's an international company and if they want to get away from retro they might think internationally. Might make sense considering how many in here tout the virtues of European marques. The final upgrade is going to be a compromise anyway and Ford won't do anything that is "Un-American". BUT, Ford's going to have to push-the-envelope to keep up with the new designs for the Camaro and Challenger...which ARE wider, lower and meaner than the current S197 body style.

tw0scoops

Established Member
Well the new Giugiaro mustang doesn't look that much different from the '05 concept car if you think about it:

112_0302_must_jay_s.jpg

Just has some hips on it.

I think once (IF) it goes into production, then will make the curves more subtle, probably not as low to the ground, basically turn it into a production car. And it will be HOOOOOT. And even more so, I can't wait till the next cobra comes out on that body. Hopefully they'll use a lighter engine the next time around.

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
chuckstang said:
adding hips is good, just like the cars in the 60s!

Good point. Actually, the current S197 was based on the '66 Mustang, while the re-design might pickup cues from the '67/'68 and '69/'70 styles, which had a more distinctive "hip" and curve on the rear quarter panel. Giugiaro's design picks that up. The original Mustang concept was board-straight...
stang_concept09.jpg
...except for the nice shallow curve front to back...and the impossibly low roof line and 24"("? wheels.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
PowerWheels said:
Why the hell do you need Italians doing designs? It's American. The back looks like shit.
The back of the car in the pics in this post are of the existing car! It appears all they did was change the front clip, thus why only the front is covered up.

Black86

Established Member
The Guigaro Mustang doesn't have hips, it has bumps, hips are supposed to be wide, that's one thing they got right on the Camaro concept, the hips don't just rise up, they flare out, making the rear look wider, and more aggressive. Plus it gives you more room for wider tires, I saw an old 280Z the other day and the first thought that ran through my mind was the Guigaro concept.

Ford should leave the design up to us, I've never liked anything that guy has come up with, have you seen the Vette he did?:xpl:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Black86 said:
The Guigaro Mustang doesn't have hips, it has bumps, hips are supposed to be wide, that's one thing they got right on the Camaro concept, the hips don't just rise up, they flare out, making the rear look wider, and more aggressive. Plus it gives you more room for wider tires, I saw an old 280Z the other day and the first thought that ran through my mind was the Guigaro concept.

Ford should leave the design up to us, I've never liked anything that guy has come up with, have you seen the Vette he did?:xpl:

The Giugiaro's got min hips for sure. The design would look even meaner with wider rear flares/fenders. His current design is understated, but a lot more aggressive than the current Mustang. Not familiar with his Vette design, but that's not on the table here. I'm reacting to what I see. I think it's a step in the right direction. I haven't seen any other concepts yet to comment about. Where are the America designers???

I really like the new Camaro design and that's why Ford has to kick-it-up a notch. It's a really cool edgy design that modernizes all the old cues. The big hips are pretty radical. The only thing the bugs me about the Camaro is that big-ass, S-eating ("S" as in S197???) grin of a front grill. But it's growing on me. Maybe it's the curve up at the ends that does it. The Challenger is really too original retro for me, but very clean looking. Maximum hipless.

0602_naias_z+2009_chevrolet_camaro_concept+front_corner.jpg

dodge_challenger_concept_2006_2007_2008_7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread