09 Mustang Spy Shots

Angel

aLL JaCkeD uP
Established Member
FBMphil said:
According to sources at another board, it's just a mockup mule for the new engines hitting the stangs, and they need a representative front end from the upcoming redesign to see how well it cools...

Ford used the Lincoln LS as the Test Mule for the Engine in the 05+ GTs. It is common for them to use a different body look for the testing to detract from the Media.

Angel

aLL JaCkeD uP
Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
Good point. Actually, the current S197 was based on the '66 Mustang, while the re-design might pickup cues from the '67/'68 and '69/'70 styles, which had a more distinctive "hip" and curve on the rear quarter panel. Giugiaro's design picks that up. The original Mustang concept was board-straight...
stang_concept09.jpg
...except for the nice shallow curve front to back...and the impossibly low roof line and 24"("? wheels.

Ford Designers nixed this design as it resembles the modern day Camero and felt it was too European.

Received a Mustang Concept Design book as a gift from a Ford Show and it detailed the design processes for the 2005 S197. Design was started in 2002 and hoped for 2004, but later changed to 2005 release. The Red Concept Diecast Vert seen around stores lately with the open grille & shape similar to the GT500s, was nixed for being too Retro for immediate debut. (back in 2003)

So, Designers chose to apply just the right amount of retro styling to reflect the Era and not be too shocking to the Market. Upon reading this, and prior to the announcement of the GT500 Concept, it became apparent that they were reserving some ideas for future designs as well.

ChuckStang, i agree;- the Challenger is going to be a sweet ride for that very reason.

FBMphil

Established Member
Angel said:
Ford used the Lincoln LS as the Test Mule for the Engine in the 05+ GTs. It is common for them to use a different body look for the testing to detract from the Media.
Yup. Back in 03 i saw an LS running around with an 05 Mustang front end under a bra.

bobosfocus

flewbyU
Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
The Giugiaro's got min hips for sure. The design would look even meaner with wider rear flares/fenders. His current design is understated, but a lot more aggressive than the current Mustang. Not familiar with his Vette design, but that's not on the table here. I'm reacting to what I see. I think it's a step in the right direction. I haven't seen any other concepts yet to comment about. Where are the America designers???

I really like the new Camaro design and that's why Ford has to kick-it-up a notch. It's a really cool edgy design that modernizes all the old cues. The big hips are pretty radical. The only thing the bugs me about the Camaro is that big-ass, S-eating ("S" as in S197???) grin of a front grill. But it's growing on me. Maybe it's the curve up at the ends that does it. The Challenger is really too original retro for me, but very clean looking. Maximum hipless.

0602_naias_z+2009_chevrolet_camaro_concept+front_corner.jpg

dodge_challenger_concept_2006_2007_2008_7.jpg
The front of the Camaro looks like either Jack Nicklson as the JOKER! Or the GRINCH! Especially from straight on! The Camaro does nothing for me. The Challenger is a whole different story. It's Beautifulllll!

Captain Beyond

Established Member
chuckstang said:
that challenger concept hit every syling mark on the nose. It is perfect.

+1 :thumbsup:

IMO the camaro needs to be more retro. Like it or not, retro sells. :coolman:

Formula51

Established Member
Captain Beyond said:

Bite your tongue! haha.

I am soooo happy the Camaro is not more retro. I am sick and tired of retro and believe the general buying public will be soon. The Camaro concept is fresh and leaves GM with lots of room to grow. What retro cues it has come from one of the most gorgeous pony car's ever built, the 1st gen Camaro. I would love to have a new Camaro to go with a pristine 69' sitting in the garage.

I always find it funny that so many of the Mustang guys like the Challenger. Perhaps the Ford vs. Chevy thing steers you to it, but sometimes I think the GT500 has persuaded ya'll to love heavy cars! The GT500 is a rare bread and I don't think you are going to see performance from the Challenger that is anywhere close to the GT500.

:beer: Here's hoping the Camaro is 3700#'s or less with 400+hp.

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
Captain Beyond said:

I agree, retro kicks butt!

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
chuckstang said:
that challenger concept hit every syling mark on the nose. It is perfect.
Perfect in all aspects but one, POWER... it needs some serious HP to back up those looks. I have had a few mopars in my life and the 70 Challenger was one of my all time favorites. It needs a Rear Spoiler, 6 Speed Trans, Dana 60 Rear, old school Bumble Bee Stripe and a Supercharged Big Block and I'll take it!

Angel

aLL JaCkeD uP
Established Member
FBMphil said:
Yup. Back in 03 i saw an LS running around with an 05 Mustang front end under a bra.

That's the one shown in my Concept book. It was also having front fenders covered in a B & W zebra type camo.

Angel

aLL JaCkeD uP
Established Member
1BADGT500 said:
Perfect in all aspects but one, POWER... it needs some serious HP to back up those looks. I have had a few mopars in my life and the 70 Challenger was one of my all time favorites. It needs a Rear Spoiler, 6 Speed Trans, Dana 60 Rear, old school Bumble Bee Stripe and a Supercharged Big Block and I'll take it!

1BADGT500 for Car Designer! :rockon: If the Challenger had the power to back up the looks as you suggest, combined with actually existing close to the Concept appearance, it would be a winner IMO.

chuckstang

Established Member
The challenger is the best reincarnation of a 60s muscle car, the camaro is more futuristic. The camaro will be heavy like all newer cars IMO

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
So the question remains...what's the new Mustang going to look like? Smooth, old-retro, like the Challenger...or edgey, modern-retro, like the Camaro? Aye, there's the rub. Is it poll time yet? :D

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
That new 09 (if that is it) is just another S197 with a modified front end. The Italian concept looks 100X better.

They need to go back to smoothing out the car, not cookie-cutting it up 2050 style.

cobracide

Established Member
chuckstang said:
but remember that challenger is a concept. A lot changes from concept to production!!!! ala gt500 concept

The challenger is going to be identical exterior wise with the concept.

Formula51

Established Member
chuckstang said:
The challenger is the best reincarnation of a 60s muscle car, the camaro is more futuristic. The camaro will be heavy like all newer cars IMO

The Camaro will certainly be heavy as the government is just laughable. They want cars that are more efficient, thus pollute less and use less fuel. However, they also want us driving around in Sherman tanks that we could roll off a cliff or drive through some one's living room and not have a scratch on us. You can't have it both ways and as the safety standards increase, so does the weight.

Fortunately for them technology has been keeping up relatively well and we are able to maintain decent efficiency with the increased weight. However, the internal combustion process is only about 70% efficient at best and thus the weight will eventually hinder the efficiency.

Most predictions put the new Camaro in the 3600-3800# range. In 2009 that very well may be a lightweight for a "pony car". Pathetic isn't it.

Ohh the lengths the government will go to keep us safe from ourselves. One of my fellow mechanical engineering graduate students does work regarding traffic collisions and automobile safety and he says the main reasons for accidents and fatalities are that the cars are too quiet and the people feel to safe. People just need a little noise and fear! Do you think your mom would go speeding around in your modified Camaro, Mustang, Cobra, etc.? Hell no, she would be afraid and thus cautious and safe.

Sorry for the rant. :beer:

dragon40k

Established Member
Formula51 said:
One of my fellow mechanical engineering graduate students does work regarding traffic collisions and automobile safety and he says the main reasons for accidents and fatalities are that the cars are too quiet and the people feel to safe. People just need a little noise and fear! Do you think your mom would go speeding around in your modified Camaro, Mustang, Cobra, etc.? Hell no, she would be afraid and thus cautious and safe.

:beer:

I kept the stuff that made me chuckle. It has a true ring to it.
The new camaro concept doesn't do much for me but the challenger looks awesome. If only they wern't all so heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread