08 z06 vs 89 347 fox

Stopsign32v

Established Member
30-125 Roll race? okay...

How about a drag race? from a dig? Maybe?

I mean, it's not like either of you are driving a 800whp Turbo cobra or a Supra 1000hp dyno queen... 11-12 second cars will hook on the street with a decent driver... and in that respect, that's where the race will be won or lost: DRIVING ABILITY

Couldn't agree more. :beer:

stangliter04

Established Member

I mean, it's not like either of you are driving a 800whp Turbo cobra or a Supra 1000hp dyno queen... 11-12 second cars will hook on the street with a decent driver... and in that respect, that's where the race will be won or lost: DRIVING ABILITY

I agree :beer:
I had a C6Z owner come up to me at a car event and ask to run me from a 90 roll :bash:
What the hell is that :??:

99redls1

Established Member
I had a formato tune for a about a year. The car never ran right. If I let the rpms go under 2000 the car would buck and sputter. I could never start it up and take off without it stalling because it was to rich on cold start. He even checked it again on his laptop and said everything looked good. I just got done paying Tony Gonyon at Tuners Inc. in Jax, Fl to make it run right.

I highly disagree with you about him tuning. How long ago was the tune and what was it on. I had him tune my car and love it. I have a 228 cam, m6 and stock 3.42's and can go 45 in 6th gear at 1,000 rpms and it drives just fine like that up a hill. I do it all the time on the way to my gf house. It starts up perfectly no matter what the temp is and it never idles over 1k rpms on start up. Pulls great all the way to 6500 and still gets the same gas mileage around town as before the cam. I would say that is a pretty damn good tuner and he did it all within a a very reasonable time. Im sorry that you had a "bad" tune but if you would have talked to him im sure that he would have fixed it for you for free.

jasil

Established Member

That's where people differ though some people don't care who the better driver is and don't want that to be a factor. They want to see which car really is faster not who launches the best.

I fully understand both sides of the argument, but in the end I don't go to car shows to check out the drivers see how well they launch or shift. I go to see the cars! Roll racing takes more of the driver out of the equation and you can really see which car has more power and acceleration.

Everyone is different. I like the machinery and don't care so much about the "race" part.

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
jasil, very good point.

But, the point here is.....they both know that the Z would win from 50mph....so why do it?

That takes the fun out of it, IMO. Everyone wants a chance to win, and driving was the factor in their race.....supposedly the Z only lost by inches. So why race from 50 to a higher speed? Rematch is the only way to go in this situation.....30-125 since it was such a close race.

A Z is a badass ride, but if I had to go from 50mph....I wouldn't own one. I have more fun going from 15mph with 4.56 gear and stickys.....with 200 less HP.

On a side note, if i race a car that has 100+ more RWHP then mine.....they don't get "their" race period. My race, or a mutually agreed race (like this one that the fox won on)

Last edited:

jasil

Established Member
^^^^^^^^
I don't disagree!! I have a Z06 you don't have to go for from a 50mph you can go from a 10mph and barely spin with lowered tire pressure (22-24psi) a launch is tricky though really hit or miss.....30-125mph is more than fair IMO.

I guess the Z06 driver was trying to win picking 50mph since that is a great 2nd gear start for a Z06. I, like you, enjoy slow rolls too. It's not in my sig. but I used to have a 91 Fox with a Procharger and still miss that car sometimes. I'm not a Chevy guy either I have Ford hats and still love GT500's and Cobras the only thing I would own from Chevy is a Z06 or ZR1 and that's it, if my blood had to run one color or the other it would be blue. I just happen to drive a Z06 :)

Last edited:

whipplesnake

Established Member
I guess the Z06 driver was trying to win picking 50mph since that is a great 2nd gear start for a Z06. I, like you, enjoy slow rolls too. It's not in my sig. but I used to have a 91 Fox with a Procharger and still miss that car sometimes. I'm not a Chevy guy either I have Ford hats and still love GT500's and Cobras the only thing I would own from Chevy is a Z06 or ZR1 and that's it, if my blood had to run one color or the other it would be blue. I just happen to drive a Z06 :)[/QUOTE]

the z owner Hurley, is a good guy. He hasn't owned it very long and already modded it. I'm sure once he's comfortable with it and works out any bugs, it will be a formidable car from any speed. and I'll be there to take my beat down like a man.....until then I'm going to bust on him a little.:-D

tistan

Established Member
I highly disagree with you about him tuning. How long ago was the tune and what was it on. I had him tune my car and love it. I have a 228 cam, m6 and stock 3.42's and can go 45 in 6th gear at 1,000 rpms and it drives just fine like that up a hill. I do it all the time on the way to my gf house. It starts up perfectly no matter what the temp is and it never idles over 1k rpms on start up. Pulls great all the way to 6500 and still gets the same gas mileage around town as before the cam. I would say that is a pretty damn good tuner and he did it all within a a very reasonable time. Im sorry that you had a "bad" tune but if you would have talked to him im sure that he would have fixed it for you for free.

I did talk to him and he said that is how it was supposed to act because of the size of the cam. I took it to Tony and he fixed it. The tune was on a gto with an cammed ls7 swap. The car drove fine when it was going down the track, but around town drivability sucked balls. It was a little more in depth than just a cam only z28.

jasil

Established Member
the z owner Hurley, is a good guy. He hasn't owned it very long and already modded it. I'm sure once he's comfortable with it and works out any bugs, it will be a formidable car from any speed. and I'll be there to take my beat down like a man.....until then I'm going to bust on him a little.:-D

That's the best kind when it's amongst friends and acquaintances!!!:banana: Keep it safe and have fun!!!

99redls1

Established Member
I did talk to him and he said that is how it was supposed to act because of the size of the cam. I took it to Tony and he fixed it. The tune was on a gto with an cammed ls7 swap. The car drove fine when it was going down the track, but around town drivability sucked balls. It was a little more in depth than just a cam only z28.

Im sure that it was. I have seen some of the cars that he has done and I havnt heard anything else bad about him. Im sure that every tuner out there has had some problems with customers. Im just saying that he did a wonderful job on my car and I know that he has a huge cam in his car and it drives pretty well. Sorry to here bout your mishap with him.

Users who are viewing this thread