04 Cobra vs 2010 Shelby...Winner???

Qwk GT

Established Member
well how come nobody ever brings up any 01's in this talk. Same exact thing here, lol. I like the terminators but honestly why are they considered the standard? I know, I know it's the supercharger but I've never been impressed with the stock blower on any SVT model. Yes the engine is tougher but if I did have a choice a GT500 is simply better, I would take those rims of a GT500 and get smaller ones but that's it. A 01 can beat a 03/04 with some mods, a 03/04 can be a GT500 with some mods too but mod the hell out of a GT500 or get the super snake option and see ya![/QUOTE]

Once a lot of $ for moddin is thrown into the equation, you can't really compare. Just because you have a shit load of mods on it doesn't mean you can't do the same for the 03/04.

1000rwhp has been seen in a terminator, I'm sure you could do the same for the shelby. Then its a matter of driver/traction/etc...

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
Any Mustang person who doesn't live in a cave knows that everything in the drivetrain (minus some known TSB's) is exactly the same as the 09 and the only power changes came in the form of a CAI and a Tune.

I disagree on the stock for stock. And that is by personal experience.

I agree on the bang for the buck. It may slightly tip towards the 03-04 but not by much. Especially since I have been hearing of $32K low mileage Shelby's being bought. And the last time I looked, "low mileage" 03-04 Cobra's were in the $25K range. And once the serious mods begin, the value of the bigger better breathing 5.4 and stronger body platflorm of the GT500 start to take effect and weight advantage of the earlier Cobra goes away.

The stock 2010 Shelby turns a 12.4sec 1/4 mile per Edmunds. The stock 2003-4 Termi was not that fast. [C&D tested them @ 12.9 @ 111mph although I would agree they may have been a couple of 10ths faster stock]

BTW there were drive train changes that improved the 2010. The gear ratio is now 3.55 and the tires are now made from a more sticky rubber. Both of those 2010 changes PLUS the additional 40 hp tune contributs to the improved 1/4 mile times in 2010. :dw:

Last edited:

Blaine

Established Member
....and the tires are now made from a more sticky rubber...

Tires Front Goodyear F1 Supercar 255/40R19
Tires Rear Goodyear F1 Supercar 285/25R19

Sorry new GT500 still flaunts the Goodyear F1 "SUPERSLOWS" ... also the reason why the 0-60 BLOWS.... compared to the other cars with 500+ HP with 335's in the rear... LIKE THEY SHOULD HAVE ON in the first place.

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
Tires Front Goodyear F1 Supercar 255/40R19
Tires Rear Goodyear F1 Supercar 285/25R19

Sorry new GT500 still flaunts the Goodyear F1 "SUPERSLOWS" ... also the reason why the 0-60 BLOWS.... compared to the other cars with 500+ HP with 335's in the rear... LIKE THEY SHOULD HAVE ON in the first place.

Yeah but they have reformulated the rubber in the "Goodyear FI Notasslows"

I agree the Shelbys should be sporting 335's ......like mine is. :rockon:

procobra

Banned
As a matter of fact my 01 cobra cogged F1A procharger would suck both the Terminators and shelbys on any given day yet i spent a fraction of money for what you guys did to go fast:lol::lol::kaboom:

Blaine

Established Member
Yeah but they have reformulated the rubber in the "Goodyear FI Notasslows"

I agree the Shelbys should be sporting 335's ......like mine is. :rockon:

Dunno.. I see some advertising BS on that fact from Ford. If Goodyear made their Superslows better they would of renamed them something like Goodyear F2 Supercars or something. Or at least advertised the big change everywhere.
I did find two different F1 tires available from Tirerack. They both are rated the same, but one has a bit lower tread rating. Either way.. you are going from HORRIBLE traction to BAD Traction with a slight bit of improvement on those tires. Fact is they are too small of tire for this car.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?search=true&diameter=18&diameter=18&startIndex=0&x=14&y=6&skipOver=true&skipOver=true&ratio=40&ratio=40&pagelen=20&filterGoWhere=Compare1&pagenum=1&RunFlat=All&width=285%2F&width=285%2F&pagemark=1&startIndex=0&manufacturer=Goodyear&x=48&y=5

Last edited:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
We all know 01 Cobra's are great cars.

The only reason(s) I did not buy one, was the fact that the internals are not Forged, minor appearance differences, differences in the Transmission, etc.

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
As a matter of fact my 01 cobra cogged F1A procharger would suck both the Terminators and shelbys on any given day yet i spent a fraction of money for what you guys did to go fast:lol::lol::kaboom:

yea but if our stock superchargers blow up we're not S.O.L if our warranties are still valid :kaboom:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Are the 2011's going to have IRS? I don't think so but just wanting to know for sure.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Are the 2011's going to have IRS? I don't think so but just wanting to know for sure.

I hope not. :shrug: The new GT500 and Mustang GT run circles around the Camaro without an IRS. Why add MORE weight and a possible weak link that costs twice as much to repair, the handling is already very good for such a large and heavy muscle car.

It pulls way higher skidpads and does the slalom way faster than a 03-04 Cobra, despite the increase in weight and lack of an IRS. I'd rather they put an aluminum block and did a few more suspension adjustments so the car hooks a bit harder without wheelhop. Even better, a factory twin screw like in the FGT!! :rockon::rockon::bowdown::bowdown:

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member

They probably won't just for the same reason that the previous GT500's didn't. They said the IRS would up the cost significantly of the car so they did not. A lot of people will argue that the SRA is a much better platform than the IRS...and it is aslong aslong your going straight, it eliminates wheel hop, its much stronger and "more solid" than an IRS but thats because genuinely its a much more simplistic and basic setup. Even if its a built SRA the parts are usually just beefier and better made, leaving it as a non-complex system. And for Drag racing its second to none.

I for one though would vote for the IRS addition :rockon: Turning ftmfw!

but we can shit in one hand and wish in the other, but we both know which would get filled first :shrug:

FastOldGuy52

Established Member

Pfffttt Not my Shelby it wouldn't :lol1:

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Stock? Who is stock these days? I am probably the closest to stock terminator as they come... that is out of people that race them.

SpdPilot

Established Member
Stock? Who is stock these days? I am probably the closest to stock terminator as they come... that is out of people that race them.

My point exactly. Why are we debating stock vs stock??

If anyone is still bone stock, they won't race it anyways, so it doesn't matter.
And for the few who just got the car, they are only stock after the first whooping by another slower car. Anyone who owns a GT500 knows within the first week that if you are going to race this car, you better mod it.

Or find a soft pillow to bury your face in, if you are going to race stock.....if you get my point.

Blaine

Established Member
My point exactly. Why are we debating stock vs stock??

If anyone is still bone stock, they won't race it anyways, so it doesn't matter.
And for the few who just got the car, they are only stock after the first whooping by another slower car. Anyone who owns a GT500 knows within the first week that if you are going to race this car, you better mod it.

Or find a soft pillow to bury your face in, if you are going to race stock.....if you get my point.

+1. Seems there are a ton of TARDS who like to race GT500's stock and embarrass themselves on youtube it seems though.:poke:

Users who are viewing this thread