04 cobra vs. 04 mach 1

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
Almo said:
Grey, you went with the 3.25 upper right? Curious.

Cheers.

No, I have a 3.00 upper. I plan on buying the 3.25 when I get home to bring the boost down to 15psi. Right now I'm at 17psi, and my tires spin too much on the surface streets (streets in Vegas suck, they are slippery for some reason).

I figure when I take the car to the track I can swap pulleys, change tunes (once I get back I'm buying a Anderson Motorsports PMS), and go.

Last edited:

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
Almo said:
Blaaahahaha... Your prices are way off. :lol: It's not good to try and compare prices sometimes. :p

I know where an 03 Cobra was sold for $22,500. Had 467/481 to the wheels. He had to get rid of it due to insurance and payments, just picked up a house.

Grey, I spent over $18K in my GT and some of your prices are a little off. Least what I got everything for. And no, I didn't spend all that for a 12.3, that only took a few grand.

Cheers.

Yea, it's easy to get different prices at different places. I figured I was being generous with my pricing. I know a set of forged connecting rods will run around $600, and I paid a little over $600 for my JE pistons and rings.

All of our bolts are stretch to yield, so they all need to be replaced, as well as gaskets.

Getting the block bored/honed .020 with torque plates cost me something like $250 (I think, I don't remember).

All I know is it cost me quite a bit to swap out my pistons (around $3,000 to have my engine pulled, torn down, and rebuilt and put back in).

I also bought a new flywheel and Spec 3 clutch, so the whole rotating assembly had to be balanced with the new flywheel.

Luckily my bearings were all good, so they didn't need to be replaced.

All I know is it ended up costing me around $5,000 for the parts and labor, and another $3100 for the Whipple, $600 for the 55lb/hr injectors, around $230 for my BAP, $90 for my 3.00 pulley, $130 for my tensioner, $275 for my MAF.

Damn it adds up (I better not let my wife see this :D ).

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
Grey03Cobra said:
He posted that he could buy a Mach, and supercharge it and save money over buying a Cobra.

Here's my original statement:

Keep in mind that the Cobra is generally 10k more expensive. If you were to buy a Mach1 and pour 10k in mods into it, the tables might be turned in favor of the Mach1. If someone wants to give me 10k, I'd be happy to provide some proof of this claim!

I didn't mention anything about a supercharger or saving money. I only wanted to say that the race might be closer with an improved Mach1. There is a dude over at Mach-1.org with a N/A Mach1 running in the high 11's. I'm pretty sure that Mach1 will give a stock Cobra a run for its money, maybe not from a roll, but from a dig.

And by the way, the prices you quoted for those parts are a bit high in my opinion. I'm considering a Tremec TKO 500 transmission for $1600. I think you quoted about $4000 for a transmission.

And I still don't see anything wrong with saying that a Cobra is generally 10k more than a Mach1.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
wurd2 said:
Here's my original statement:

Keep in mind that the Cobra is generally 10k more expensive. If you were to buy a Mach1 and pour 10k in mods into it, the tables might be turned in favor of the Mach1. If someone wants to give me 10k, I'd be happy to provide some proof of this claim!

I didn't mention anything about a supercharger or saving money. I only wanted to say that the race might be closer with an improved Mach1. There is a dude over at Mach-1.org with a N/A Mach1 running in the high 11's. I'm pretty sure that Mach1 will give a stock Cobra a run for its money, maybe not from a roll, but from a dig.

And by the way, the prices you quoted for those parts are a bit high in my opinion. I'm considering a Tremec TKO 500 transmission for $1600. I think you quoted about $4000 for a transmission.

And I still don't see anything wrong with saying that a Cobra is generally 10k more than a Mach1.

Nevermind, lets just drop it already. :rolleyes:

Nice kill on the Mach1 :thumbsup:

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
Grey03Cobra said:
Nevermind, lets just drop it already. :rolleyes:

Agreed. I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just debating.

Grey03Cobra said:
Nice kill on the Mach1 :thumbsup:

Poor Mach1. I'm not sure if that was nice (or fair), but it was definitely a kill!

Last edited:

Almo

Established Member
Grey03Cobra said:
Yea, it's easy to get different prices at different places. I figured I was being generous with my pricing. I know a set of forged connecting rods will run around $600, and I paid a little over $600 for my JE pistons and rings.

All of our bolts are stretch to yield, so they all need to be replaced, as well as gaskets.

Getting the block bored/honed .020 with torque plates cost me something like $250 (I think, I don't remember).

All I know is it cost me quite a bit to swap out my pistons (around $3,000 to have my engine pulled, torn down, and rebuilt and put back in).

I also bought a new flywheel and Spec 3 clutch, so the whole rotating assembly had to be balanced with the new flywheel.

Luckily my bearings were all good, so they didn't need to be replaced.

All I know is it ended up costing me around $5,000 for the parts and labor, and another $3100 for the Whipple, $600 for the 55lb/hr injectors, around $230 for my BAP, $90 for my 3.00 pulley, $130 for my tensioner, $275 for my MAF.

Damn it adds up (I better not let my wife see this :D ).

I was mainly messing with you. :poke: :-D I got lucky with a few hook ups on some parts and my cost ended up being very low on a few things.

Yes, you are telling me, it has added up very quick. And it will continue to add up for a little longer. :(

:beer:

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
Grey03Cobra said:
I agree, that Cobra was modded.

Aye, so is your Cobra. Good lord. You must have a ton of money and time in that car. I'd be scared to drive it, only when I'm not actually driving it though.

I normally don't care for big wings like that, but yours fits your car very well. And the matching paint job on the wing sure makes it look good.

Nice car man. Go make us some videos, but don't pick on Mach1's.

ScottsMach03

Established Member
Beatngu, theres no such thing as "trapping" on the street. A street race is a street race. No times, no traps. And your right, a pullied cobra would waste a mach. Thats not what im saying. Your talking like machs are weak, and there easy. Anything can happen on the street. Ive seen modded vipers get smoked by slightly modded fox's. Amazing what you can do when you power shift.

Nobody

Banned
03azuremach said:
Beatngu, theres no such thing as "trapping" on the street. A street race is a street race. No times, no traps. And your right, a pullied cobra would waste a mach. Thats not what im saying. Your talking like machs are weak, and there easy. Anything can happen on the street. Ive seen modded vipers get smoked by slightly modded fox's. Amazing what you can do when you power shift.

Yea.... :rolleyes: or double cluth?

Too bad if this argument was an LS1 vs Cobra all the Mach owners would say that the Cobra would blow it out of the water....

raiders03

Banned
wurd2 said:
As a Mach1 owner, I'm afraid I have to defend the reputation of these cars. There is something not quite right with this video. Either the driver of the Mach1 doesn't understand "power range" or Justin's Cobra is far from stock, or maybe both cases are true.

I realize that stock for stock the Cobra is faster, but Mach1's are not as slow as the video might suggest. I made a few speedometer videos to try and document the performance of a lightly modded Mach1. I offer these videos as evidence for my case:

http://www.eleventeen.net/webpage/videos/Mach1-00to70.mpeg
http://www.eleventeen.net/webpage/videos/Mach1-25to95.mpeg

A Cobra is only about 4K more then a Mach.

Justin Blake

Kenne Bell Powered
Established Member
I had no idea this thread would blow up like this, it was supposed to be a fun thread for people to watch. Oh well

Machinator

Banned
BEATNGU said:
Why would the MACH look silly on the street? Look at the trap speeds, a full exhaust/intake/pulley's/chip, MACH still can not trap as high as a stock Cobra.

Alright wise guy get good info before you talk my 4.10's, xpipe, chip, and catback mach walks stock cobras like its cool, oh yeah through in a cold air kit for me to but still that is mostly stock and remember I dont have the benefit of a factory supercharger.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
Machinator said:
BEATNGU said:
Why would the MACH look silly on the street? Look at the trap speeds, a full exhaust/intake/pulley's/chip, MACH still can not trap as high as a stock Cobra.

Alright wise guy get good info before you talk my 4.10's, xpipe, chip, and catback mach walks stock cobras like its cool, oh yeah through in a cold air kit for me to but still that is mostly stock and remember I dont have the benefit of a factory supercharger.

Get good info?
My ass, your modded MACH still couldn't trap as high as a stock Cobra. You have a solid axle so you have an advantage at the track for good et's. Ill give you the benefit of the doubt and say you will pull a Cobra out of the hole. But you know damn well the Snake will be realing you in like a sunfish. So you can be that guy who slams his breaks on right before you get passed and claim a kill.
What ever mod you can do to your car it will make a bigger difference on a Cobra.

Last edited:

kilroy