04 cobra vs. 04 mach 1

03greymach1

DSG is STEALTHY!
Established Member
wurd2 said:
As a Mach1 owner, I'm afraid I have to defend the reputation of these cars. There is something not quite right with this video. Either the driver of the Mach1 doesn't understand "power range" or Justin's Cobra is far from stock, or maybe both cases are true.

I realize that stock for stock the Cobra is faster, but Mach1's are not as slow as the video might suggest. I made a few speedometer videos to try and document the performance of a lightly modded Mach1. I offer these videos as evidence for my case:

http://www.eleventeen.net/webpage/videos/Mach1-00to70.mpeg
http://www.eleventeen.net/webpage/videos/Mach1-25to95.mpeg

Keep in mind that the Cobra is generally 10k more expensive. If you were to buy a Mach1 and pour 10k in mods into it, the tables might be turned in favor of the Mach1. If someone wants to give me 10k, I'd be happy to provide some proof of this claim!

I have to agree as well, doesn't look right. As a Mach1 owner it does not look like he really tried.

Put a stock mach1 and cobra side by side and someone may be surprised!

The better test would be from a stand still. Like a 1/4 mile run.

The one who initiates the launch on the road always has the advantage IMO.

:beer:

ScottsMach03

Established Member
Well, grey03, there are plenty of mach1's runnin high 12's low 13's bone stock. Theres a guy on here just posted his time slips the other day and i still have his vidio, all he has is cai,chip,pulleys,bassani catback, ran a 12.31 in the video. that is nowhere near 10k.As for the internal, all we mach1 owners would need are the rods and pistons, we have cobra cranks in our 5 speeds. Rebuild the t-3650 trannys,and we are still not lookin at 10k. Then just add cams. Enter the 11's

MikeDoom

Dedicated Gamer
Established Member
wurd2 said:
As a Mach1 owner, I'm afraid I have to defend the reputation of these cars. There is something not quite right with this video. Either the driver of the Mach1 doesn't understand "power range" or Justin's Cobra is far from stock, or maybe both cases are true.

I realize that stock for stock the Cobra is faster, but Mach1's are not as slow as the video might suggest. I made a few speedometer videos to try and document the performance of a lightly modded Mach1. I offer these videos as evidence for my case:

http://www.eleventeen.net/webpage/videos/Mach1-00to70.mpeg
http://www.eleventeen.net/webpage/videos/Mach1-25to95.mpeg

Keep in mind that the Cobra is generally 10k more expensive. If you were to buy a Mach1 and pour 10k in mods into it, the tables might be turned in favor of the Mach1. If someone wants to give me 10k, I'd be happy to provide some proof of this claim!

I only paid 32k for my cobra brand new. That's not exactly 10k more than a mach1. Anyhoo, we all know that mach1's are quick. Hell, it's one of the best NA cars ford has ever put out. With that in mind, I also figure most people watching that video assume the cobra is FAR from stock. And a previous post said it was like 600 rhwp. Also said he knew it wasn't fair, but the guy kept egging him on. :poke: I love this stick poke smiley.

Almo

Established Member
Grey03Cobra said:
I have to agree with you on the vid. Something is not right. I could see a KB or Whippled Cobra pulling like that, but not a stock or pullied one.

Cobra owners hate this statement more than any other IMO. So, for 10 grand you are going to put in a T-56 tranny/clutch and flywheel, pull your engine and replace the internals with some Manley H-beam rods, ARP bolts, dished forged pistons, Cometic MLS gaskets, put the engine back together and put it back into the car. Then you are going to buy a SC and install it, beef up the fuel system (injectors/pumps), and tune the whole thing??

First off, there is not a $10,000 price diff:

Mach runs around $28,000
A Cobra runs about $36,000

That is an $8,000 difference

Lets see:

Tranny: Around $2600
SC: Around $3500 More if you want an aftercooler
forged internals/gaskets: Around $1200
engine pull/machine<a onMouseOver="window.status='' ; return true;" onMouseOut="window.status='';" oncontextmenu="window.status=''; return true;" onclick="location.href='http://www.enhancemysearch.com/admin/results.php?q=work&id=4';return false;" href="" TITLE="More Info..."><a onMouseOver="window.status='' ; return true;" onMouseOut="window.status='';" oncontextmenu="window.status=''; return true;" onclick="location.href='http://www.enhancemysearch.com/admin/results.php?q=work&id=4';return false;" href="" TITLE="More Info..."><a onMouseOver="window.status='' ; return true;" onMouseOut="window.status='';" oncontextmenu="window.status=''; return true;" onclick="location.href='http://www.enhancemysearch.com/admin/results.php?q=work&id=4';return false;" href="" TITLE="More Info..."> work </a></a></a> Around $4000 We are already past $10,000
Clutch/flywheel Around $600
Injectors/Pumps Around $600
Tune Around $200

We are at $12,700 right now. But I haven't included the cost of replacing all the fluids, labor for most of the<a onMouseOver="window.status='' ; return true;" onMouseOut="window.status='';" oncontextmenu="window.status=''; return true;" onclick="location.href='http://www.enhancemysearch.com/admin/results.php?q=work&id=4';return false;" href="" TITLE="More Info..."><a onMouseOver="window.status='' ; return true;" onMouseOut="window.status='';" oncontextmenu="window.status=''; return true;" onclick="location.href='http://www.enhancemysearch.com/admin/results.php?q=work&id=4';return false;" href="" TITLE="More Info..."><a onMouseOver="window.status='' ; return true;" onMouseOut="window.status='';" oncontextmenu="window.status=''; return true;" onclick="location.href='http://www.enhancemysearch.com/admin/results.php?q=work&id=4';return false;" href="" TITLE="More Info..."> work,</a></a></a> etc. (That is $4700 over the price of a the Cobra)

$12,700 plus the $28,000 for the mach is $40,700. Enough to buy a Cobra, KB and supporting mods and push over 600rwhp.

Blaaahahaha... Your prices are way off. :lol: It's not good to try and compare prices sometimes. :p

I know where an 03 Cobra was sold for $22,500. Had 467/481 to the wheels. He had to get rid of it due to insurance and payments, just picked up a house.

Grey, I spent over $18K in my GT and some of your prices are a little off. Least what I got everything for. And no, I didn't spend all that for a 12.3, that only took a few grand.

Cheers.

Last edited:

JerseyGT

Jerseys Finest Ttop
Established Member
hell yea, I'm d.ling the vid now but that awsome, I like seeing two cars of the same yea go at it. I didn't read the thread either so I hope its a good one.

JerseyGT

Jerseys Finest Ttop
Established Member
raven69david said:
It was obvious as to who would be victorious. Now if the Mach 1 had won, then i'd be slightly amused.
sleep.gif

Anyway, he asked for it and a kill is a kill...congrats! :thumbsup:

True true, I thought the mach would of held up a lil bit more, but then again I'm unaware of the horse power of the mach. Oh well, maybe someones got a hookd up mach that would hold up to a cobra.

svtfreak03

Established Member
Mach1 is FAST! i Agree with it..but 1 question , does the mach1 run with a 2001 cobra motor or its own built motor ?

ScottsMach03

Established Member
A mach1 has a 01 cobra motor, with 5.4 navigator cams. Underated 310hp, and underated 325tq

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
wurd2 said:

You sir, sound like a ricer.

If you want to use that argument...go find a used fox body for $3k, put $10k into the engine/tranny and run 10's. $13k for a 10 second car. :shrug:

Nobody

Banned
StngStr said:
You sir, sound like a ricer.

I concur. Ricer excuse #18 right thur. Wonder how the Viper and Vette guys feel. "If I put $20k in my shitcan, I could so outrun your Viper!"

Comparing a car that's lucky to dyno 280rwhp against a car that bone stock dyno's over 380rwhp....and you guys still think there's a chance. Well, the Mach 1 owners still think their is a chance. Ford did fairly well with the Mach 1, but they just don't run the numbers everyone seems to want them to run. :shrug:

2000-S6

Established Member
hat's off to ford for making the mach 1 move that fast...i mean there's only 2-3 tenths difference, stock for stock, from what i've seen...

Almo

Established Member
noone said:
I concur. Ricer excuse #18 right thur. Wonder how the Viper and Vette guys feel. "If I put $20k in my shitcan, I could so outrun your Viper!"

Comparing a car that's lucky to dyno 280rwhp against a car that bone stock dyno's over 380rwhp....and you guys still think there's a chance. Well, the Mach 1 owners still think their is a chance. Ford did fairly well with the Mach 1, but they just don't run the numbers everyone seems to want them to run. :shrug:

Actually, YES! IRS-Weight-The right driver, and a true street race might be surprising having the Mach I with minor mods holding it's own up to a 120-130. Unless the Cobra has mods, as stated above.

Video didn't play justice for the Mach. I have seen some quick Mach's with bolt-ons. Seen a few bolt-on Mach's trap better than a few 03's/04's at the track.

Cheers.

Sapperstang

Established Member
03azuremach said:
A mach1 has a 01 cobra motor, with 5.4 navigator cams. Underated 310hp, and underated 325tq

Uhh no not exactly. It is not the same engine. Mach has the 03 Cobra heads as well.

Users who are viewing this thread