04 Cobra Rear Differential Fluid Change

Mstngsidewinder

Established Member
Anyone have a thread or link with a detailed video or sheet on the 2003-2004 Rear Differential Change with the IRS. The store I work for (Toyota) does not want to tackle removing suspension parts to get the rear cover off. Is there an easier way?

Noreiga

Established Member
If you don't want to fool with taking the whole thing out for inspection purposes then I suppose you can find some sort of fluid pump to pull the old oil out from the fill plug and then just pump new stuff back in. It's not really the worst thing in the world to remove, but it certainly takes a couple of hours.

Mstngsidewinder

Established Member
The Cover has started to seep at the bottom, just enough that it needs to be pulled and re-sealed as well. That's why the pump method won't work this time. Otherwise, yes it would be pumped out and done with already!

Local Ford Dealer said $110.00 plus fluid to drain/reseal/fill it back up.

Noreiga

Established Member
Yep, I think you're exactly right. I'm gonna order a new cover with a plug this time. so, Hopefully I won't have to pull it again!

I'd gladly spend the $110 if that means that ford will warranty the work for some amount of time. That way if the reseal doesn't hold then it's on them and not you since that's definitely not something you wanna crawl back under the car to do a second time.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
I'm about to do mine. I am sure that 110 is a misquote, because you have to pull the axles and drop the pumpkin all the way out . But if pay up front before they realize then do it

Mstngsidewinder

Established Member
I've not taken it in yet. We're supposed to get some nasty storms this week, into the weekend so it's hiding in the garage, all clean!!

It has 33,900 original miles. Does it need bushings? Anything else, I should switch out since it's already going to be dis-assembled?

4a7191a

Established Member
It likely doesn't need bushings but the urethane ones make the rear end a lot more solid feeling.
And they're a cheap easy job to do.

Users who are viewing this thread