03 Ported/Pullied Cobra vs. 08 Pullied GT500

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
huh, so a term at 3650 is not too heavy?

How did you draw a line that 3650 is light enough but not 3785 (which is the exact weight of my car with 1/4 tank of gas and no passengers)

Just trying to understand ther Terminator logic

I agree with ya, but if you're going to compare the "rated" curb weight of a 03-04 Cobra, then compare it to the rated curb weight of the GT500. In all fairness people have scaled their stock 03-04 Cobras at less than 3650lbs too. ;-)

Factory specs

03 Cobra coupe 3650lbs

07 GT500 coupe 3850lbs & 3920lbs with shaker 1000.

03-04 Cobras are pretty heavy as is, the extra 200lbs doesn't help. Although the potential of the 5.4L trumps the 03-04 Cobra by a nice margin. I'd like to see a Cobra with full bolt-ons vs a GT500 with full bolt-ons. So far all I've seen are these GT500s with just an intake/pulley/tune, where is the exhaust and other supporting mods to free up that power under the curve? That's where the 5.4L shines!

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
I agree with ya, but if you're going to compare the "rated" curb weight of a 03-04 Cobra, then compare it to the rated curb weight of the GT500. In all fairness people have scaled their stock 03-04 Cobras at less than 3650lbs too. ;-)

Factory specs

03 Cobra coupe 3650lbs

07 GT500 coupe 3850lbs & 3920lbs with shaker 1000.

03-04 Cobras are pretty heavy as is, the extra 200lbs doesn't help. Although the potential of the 5.4L trumps the 03-04 Cobra by a nice margin. I'd like to see a Cobra with full bolt-ons vs a GT500 with full bolt-ons. So far all I've seen are these GT500s with just an intake/pulley/tune, where is the exhaust and other supporting mods to free up that power under the curve? That's where the 5.4L shines!

I believe it was Muscle Mustangs Fast Fords did just what you were looking for and the GT500 smashed the Term in every time.

But what else would you expect from a newer car, larger motor with a more efficient blower, and well upgraded everything compared to the Term.

The 180-200 pound difference is just not enough to overcome that awsome 5.4.

The difference in weight is just having a passenger in the Term vs the GT500 driving solo.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
So 03 was ahead by a fender before GT500 hits the breaks Good run

It looked like to me the GT500 started a fender back, got a late start in the race, started to pull on the cobra and missed a gear.

cobra707

Established Member
That would explain it also because all of a sudden it just stops LOL. It amazes and sucks and do not no why people enjoy bashing a SVT SHELBY GT500.....

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
It looked like to me the GT500 started a fender back, got a late start in the race, started to pull on the cobra and missed a gear.

Thats because he wound out the top of 4th and probably just shut it down. It was a pretty even race. And seeing as the Terminator had more mods it's pretty impressive. I think alot of people talk shit about the GT500 is because of the dealer mark-ups. Ford fixed the inherent problems with the 03-04 cobra is what i like most most about the GT500. There are alot of things i like about the GT500 over the Terminator and vice-versa.

mkkrs1

Established Member
I believe it was Muscle Mustangs Fast Fords did just what you were looking for and the GT500 smashed the Term in every time.

But what else would you expect from a newer car, larger motor with a more efficient blower, and well upgraded everything compared to the Term.

The difference in weight is just having a passenger in the Term vs the GT500 driving solo.

yep, check the current issue.
they did a full SVT shoot out : shelby vs term vs lightning
And guess who won

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member

I agree with ya, I've always agreed the GT500 trumps the Cobra. I was just pointing out the weight difference.

Last edited:

WeeZee

Member of NMRA
Established Member
GT500's are real bad ass & might have more power but the 2003-04 Terminator is the best mustang ever made. It usually has 100 less horse when modded compared to a GT500 but usually beats it

Users who are viewing this thread