03 Cobra Painted

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
Rousch body kits always have been ugly as Fug and still continue to be on the S197's.

Just my opinion. Lot of tume and work in that car, respect it!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Very clean looking paint job and the fact that you did most of the work only adds to it.

I like the wheels, different is good in this case.

I know you like the wing, I think if the car was a touch lower it would change everything and the wing would flow more imo.

Back in the day MM&FF did a Fox Coupe build and painted it a pearl white with the a 4" checker section angling in from the quarter windows leading aft but terminating just before the end of the quarter. It looked really nice. I believe it was duplicated a few times.

That being said In My Opinion the paint job is a bit too noisy with too many edges on too many panels. Every panel has a paint edge and when you take into account body panel alingnment and normal gaps between fender/door etc it creates too much noise for my taste.

Fading those checkers into the bumper cover would have been cool. you could have created the illusion of the tires spinning and blowing the checkers away (similar to a flame job but with the checkers)? But stopping them at the body panel kind of looks lazy and adds to my point about noise.

The running pony is cool but you should have kept with the theme of the car and had the checkers on the aft part of the running horse like the car?

The Super tach really isn't needed! You stated you didn't want to be "tacky" well ahhh the tach thing on that car is borderline in my opinion.

I am confused why you chose to do this to a Cobra? especially if you plan to keep it relativley stock? If you want to keep it stock because of the collectability or exsclusiveness of the car, well you kind smashed that wall down already so I would wake that thing up with some performance mods and then enjoy it because after all it is YOUR car.

boatcop, first of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write up such a lengthy review. I appreciate your comments.

However, you post is a "little" confusing as you start off saying the paint job is clean then you tell me you think it is noisy. I think I know what you are saying in general though.

I put the H&R race springs on it and just put it on the ground when the pics were taken. So, it may settle a bit more, but I doubt it.

I understand your point about the edges on the panels, but that is the result with a two tone paint job. I had no choice with that paint scheme.

Your checker idea seems like a cool one as the tires blowing away the checkers would look bad@$$, but to be honest I did not think about that and you know the more custom work you do the more expensive it gets. And, yes, I know.......anything worth doing is worht doing right.

The running pony was purchased online as is. Guess I could have asked to have it match my car a little more.

No real comment about the tach. Some like it and others think big "tach" is too close to tacky LOL.

I am not opposed to modifying this Cobra. All I'm saying is most choose to modify the engine first and I decided to modify the car on the looks department because I think it is fast enough.

Thanks again for your comments. That was some good feedback!!!:rockon:

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Don't know if you noticed there are some NOS solenoids sitting in the engine bay. Doesn't that earn me some brownie points with this group?????

So you have a nitrous kit and stock boost? What's the point? If you're going to put a kit on it why not throw on an upper pulley as well? Super cheap and easy hp. What size shot and what kind of power did it make?

Last edited:

boatcop1

Established Member
boatcop, first of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write up such a lengthy review. I appreciate your comments.

However, you post is a "little" confusing as you start off saying the paint job is clean then you tell me you think it is noisy. I think I know what you are saying in general though.

I put the H&R race springs on it and just put it on the ground when the pics were taken. So, it may settle a bit more, but I doubt it.

I understand your point about the edges on the panels, but that is the result with a two tone paint job. I had no choice with that paint scheme.

Your checker idea seems like a cool one as the tires blowing away the checkers would look bad@$$, but to be honest I did not think about that and you know the more custom work you do the more expensive it gets. And, yes, I know.......anything worth doing is worht doing right.

The running pony was purchased online as is. Guess I could have asked to have it match my car a little more.

No real comment about the tach. Some like it and others think big "tach" is too close to tacky LOL.

I am not opposed to modifying this Cobra. All I'm saying is most choose to modify the engine first and I decided to modify the car on the looks department because I think it is fast enough.

Thanks again for your comments. That was some good feedback!!!:rockon:

Sorry about the confusion, i just meant the paint looks top notch and really done right. That has nothing to do with my idea of noise. Sorry about that.

I would like to see it in person, sometimes pictures do not do something justice.

I thought you painted the Pony, lol. Sorry bout that.

I hear what your saying about showing the car. If your cool with the speed right now, Maybe you can do some real one off type off stuff like a rousch side exhaust and have your rear wheels widend to 18x11" so you could put some sick fat tires on it and then if the springs dont settle to your liking go airbag and sit it down in the grass during shows! would be sick! Wig wags in the heads and tail's and a sick stereo system will open you up to another whole relm of car shows and trophy potential. Good luck with your build your def heading in the right direction for what you want with it.:beer:

JymBart

Established Member
One word"Wow"! Whatever anyone says, .. it's your car and you should do what ever you want to do with your car, ................ not every one will like it or agree with your taste.
JymBart

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I'm sure you expected the "ricer" comments, and similar, if you have been around this board for awhile. Here ONLY engine mods, and custom wheels are acceptable mods...:rollseyes

THANK YOU black 10th!!!!:beer: If you look at my post history you will see I introduced myself and then did not post again until this post (2 years later) because of EXACTLY what you wrote.

I'm all about opinions, but most of the comments here have been I like it, but..... and then here comes Mr. negativity. I do not expect everyone to like it, but it would seem you are correct, if all I did was beef up the motor and put on some wheels it would be more accepted here.

Oh well......opinions are like _holes, everyones got one.

Thanks for your post black 10th!!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Rousch body kits always have been ugly as Fug and still continue to be on the S197's.

Just my opinion. Lot of tume and work in that car, respect it!

Guess you don't like the Roush styling LOL. That's OK I respect your opinion nevertheless.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
So you have a nitrous kit and stock boost? What's the point? If you're going to put a kit on it why not throw on an upper pulley as well? Super cheap and easy hp. What size shot and what kind of power did it make?

When I purchased the kit I was not very informed with Cobra power options. I am learning more, but as I stated earlier I'm into the looks aspect and the NOS is only for the occasional trip to the track. I do not even drive around with the bottle installed.

It is a wet kit with a 100 shot. On the stock set up with the spray I think the dyno sheet said 474RWHP. Only other mods are CAI and catback system and of course the XCT tune for the NOS.

90goldtsiawd

Established Member
Throw a 2.76 upper on it for dirt cheap and make close to the same power all the time and hit the nitrous on top and you'll be close to twin screw numbers. It will still be very safe as well. I seriously recommend it you will never look back and the engine bay will look better with a billet upper pulley and matching idlers. The red billetflows would look great with your paint scheme. I had them on my '04.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Sorry about the confusion, i just meant the paint looks top notch and really done right. That has nothing to do with my idea of noise. Sorry about that.

I would like to see it in person, sometimes pictures do not do something justice.

I thought you painted the Pony, lol. Sorry bout that.

I hear what your saying about showing the car. If your cool with the speed right now, Maybe you can do some real one off type off stuff like a rousch side exhaust and have your rear wheels widend to 18x11" so you could put some sick fat tires on it and then if the springs dont settle to your liking go airbag and sit it down in the grass during shows! would be sick! Wig wags in the heads and tail's and a sick stereo system will open you up to another whole relm of car shows and trophy potential. Good luck with your build your def heading in the right direction for what you want with it.:beer:

Hey boatcop, yes, I thought that is what you meant (quality of paint vs. looks).

It does look good in person IMO, but I like the pics too, so that's not saying much LOL.

I only painted the CAI and the calipers and rotors. The car was done by my local body shop and the pony was done by a company in GA. I want to paint the valve covers, but I read they are a PITA to remove.

I really like your ideas. I looked into the side exhaust, but I think it is too expensive for some plastic and mufflers. Besides nolyaw would probably disapprove and start a petition to ban me from this site LMAO. The wheel idea is awesome, but there is no shop around here that could pull that off.

Thanks again for you comments and ideas.:beer:

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
One word"Wow"! Whatever anyone says, .. it's your car and you should do what ever you want to do with your car, ................ not every one will like it or agree with your taste.
JymBart

Thanks JymBart. :beer:

I guess I'm doing pretty good with 1 approval (OK 3 or 4 approvals) and 20 It's OK on this site LOL.

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Throw a 2.76 upper on it for dirt cheap and make close to the same power all the time and hit the nitrous on top and you'll be close to twin screw numbers. It will still be very safe as well. I seriously recommend it you will never look back and the engine bay will look better with a billet upper pulley and matching idlers. The red billetflows would look great with your paint scheme. I had them on my '04.

Thanks for the info 90gold. I'll look into it and see what my tunner can do for me. I like the idea of having 474RWHP all the time:rockon:.......

Last edited:

mrose75

Established Member
That's a beautiful Cobra. Definitely different from your everyday Cobra. Most Cobra owners don't personalize their cars that much, and when they do it's usually a trainwreck. Your is quite tastefully done tho. I do love the stock spoiler, so to me that throws I off, but for the billionth time, it's your car..... Nice work tho, high quality. You should be proud. I think it could end up in a mag one day. I'm with you on the tint, lived in TX for 10 years. Why anyone would not have tint is beyond me. Any close ups of the pony up front? Good work and thanks for sharing.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
That's a beautiful Cobra. Definitely different from your everyday Cobra. Most Cobra owners don't personalize their cars that much, and when they do it's usually a trainwreck. Your is quite tastefully done tho. I do love the stock spoiler, so to me that throws I off, but for the billionth time, it's your car..... Nice work tho, high quality. You should be proud. I think it could end up in a mag one day. I'm with you on the tint, lived in TX for 10 years. Why anyone would not have tint is beyond me. Any close ups of the pony up front? Good work and thanks for sharing.

Thank you YGOSLO!!!:beer: I really appreciate your comments. I guess the majority of Cobra owners really like the stock wing. I can definitely respect that, but the stock wing was not for me.

I'll take a few more pics of up close shots of the grill, emblems and brakes and post up later.

Thanks again!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Making easy power is the #1 reason most of us bought these cars.:rockon:

I can agree with that. When I found out the motor was forged from the factory I was pleased to say the least.

As they say, Rome was not built in a day and most of us are never done modifyng, so I will continue to modify my car and have the total package one day.:rockon:

90goldtsiawd

Established Member
I can agree with that. When I found out the motor was forged from the factory I was pleased to say the least.

As they say, Rome was not built in a day and most of us are never done modifyng, so I will continue to modify my car and have the total package one day.:rockon:

Holy hell you didn't know it had a forged bottom end stock??? LOL that's the first thing that made me want to buy one! Bet that was a freakin nice surprise! LOL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread