03 Cobra Painted

gabe1530

Banned
what kind of rims and what size are they?

the hood is growing on me. isnt it from a 01 roush kit or something?
i woulda gone wingless or stuck with the stock wing tho.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I've never seen a scheme like that and you pulled it out big time. That red is so rich, love it. Not to mention all the detail to match the scheme, incredible work.

Thank you. That is actually Ford Laser Red (paint code E9). When that red is in the sun it looks amazing in my opinion. I tried to pull the scheme together with the grill and CAI, but nothing else as to many checkered items and it may look like a clown car.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
what kind of rims and what size are they?

the hood is growing on me. isnt it from a 01 roush kit or something?
i woulda gone wingless or stuck with the stock wing tho.

Those are 01-03 Roush argent rims. They are 18x9 all they way around with 265 up front and 295 out back. The hood is a 2001 Cobra R hood.

Appreciate your thoughts, but no wing or stock wing is too short for my taste. I like the Roush wing better.

Thanks for your comments Gabe.

Nastystang

Tell Em Hells Coming!
Established Member
Like what you did alot but i just feel that the spolier is throwing the whole flow of the car and paint job off...Im sure you will here this alot. But as stated its your car!

Looks good

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
As long as you're happy, thats all that matters. They did a very good job painting it. Looks brand new.

Also, your slotted rotors are on backwards.:thumbsup:

monX

Established Member
You asked us to let you what we think and I will deliver.

I have to be honest, I'm not too crazy about painting a rare car let alone that color combo, after all my least 2 favorite colors are redfire and silver, but the paintjob looks well done. Not crazy about the rims and spoiler either, sorry.

Not my taste at all but as long as you're happy.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Don't want to bash your car as the quality of the work looks good, but the whole theme just screams ricer to me... It's your car and you built it how you wanted it to look and I totally respect that. Just personally don't feel it at all. Next thing you should do is go and port the blower and add some pulley's and nobody will care what it looks like!

metaman

Established Member
Looks good, however it will flow a little better back where the checker board is if that aspect of the paint job does not terminate at the seem of the bumper. They should continue on past the seem of the bumper one or two rows.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Like what you did alot but i just feel that the spolier is throwing the whole flow of the car and paint job off...Im sure you will here this alot. But as stated its your car!

Looks good

Thanks for your comments. I understand what you are saying. As far as looks I'm a Roush guy first. So, to me, the spoiler looks perfect sitting on that body style. However, I can see how the Cobra purist would not like it.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
As long as you're happy, thats all that matters. They did a very good job painting it. Looks brand new.

Also, your slotted rotors are on backwards.:thumbsup:

Yes, I am happy with it.

I have a Roush with the Alcons and the rotors are on the exact same way. I also went to the Roush site and looked at other pictures of other Roushes and they are all the same way. So, if mine are backwards then so is every Roush with Alcons from the factory.

:thumbsup: right back at ya.........

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
You asked us to let you what we think and I will deliver.

I have to be honest, I'm not too crazy about painting a rare car let alone that color combo, after all my least 2 favorite colors are redfire and silver, but the paintjob looks well done. Not crazy about the rims and spoiler either, sorry.

Not my taste at all but as long as you're happy.

Yes, I did ask and so long as you guys are not rude you will not have any issues with me.

Yes, I have heard that some of you Cobra purist are not thrilled about painting a rare car. However, not all the cars are going to survive (i.e. wrecks) and some owners are not happy with just lowering it and throwing on some different wheels. Also, what is your take on the guys who put on Whipples or turbos??? Don't tell me they can come off, because the car can be repainted back to silver again.

Yes, I have heard the spoiler comment. Again I like the Roush one better and feel the factory Cobra spoiler is boring and looks like a lump sitting on top of the deck lid (just my opinion). I like the Roush wheels and got a deal on them. Also, there are VERY few Cobras out there running Roush wheels, so I think it adds to my uniqeness.

Thanks for your comments:beer:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Looks great man...it's different but pretty sweet!
BTW, what rotors are those, zinc coated?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Don't want to bash your car as the quality of the work looks good, but the whole theme just screams ricer to me... It's your car and you built it how you wanted it to look and I totally respect that. Just personally don't feel it at all. Next thing you should do is go and port the blower and add some pulley's and nobody will care what it looks like!

No, there is no need to bash. You have your opinion and that is fine. I guess you think race cars look like ricers too. Not to mention all the Mustangs that have a two tone paint jobs. That is all mine is, a two tone paint job with the checkers added.

Yes, blowers and pulley's is what everyone here seems to like. Now if I would have posted a plain ole silver Cobra with some serious engine mods then everyone here would be happy. However, I'm more of a car show guy and a fast sleeper does nothing for you in a car show. Don't know if you noticed there are some NOS solenoids sitting in the engine bay. Doesn't that earn me some brownie points with this group?????

boatcop1

Established Member
Very clean looking paint job and the fact that you did most of the work only adds to it.

I like the wheels, different is good in this case.

I know you like the wing, I think if the car was a touch lower it would change everything and the wing would flow more imo.

Back in the day MM&FF did a Fox Coupe build and painted it a pearl white with the a 4" checker section angling in from the quarter windows leading aft but terminating just before the end of the quarter. It looked really nice. I believe it was duplicated a few times.

That being said In My Opinion the paint job is a bit too noisy with too many edges on too many panels. Every panel has a paint edge and when you take into account body panel alingnment and normal gaps between fender/door etc it creates too much noise for my taste.

Fading those checkers into the bumper cover would have been cool. you could have created the illusion of the tires spinning and blowing the checkers away (similar to a flame job but with the checkers)? But stopping them at the body panel kind of looks lazy and adds to my point about noise.

The running pony is cool but you should have kept with the theme of the car and had the checkers on the aft part of the running horse like the car?

The Super tach really isn't needed! You stated you didn't want to be "tacky" well ahhh the tach thing on that car is borderline in my opinion.

I am confused why you chose to do this to a Cobra? especially if you plan to keep it relativley stock? If you want to keep it stock because of the collectability or exsclusiveness of the car, well you kind smashed that wall down already so I would wake that thing up with some performance mods and then enjoy it because after all it is YOUR car.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Looks good, however it will flow a little better back where the checker board is if that aspect of the paint job does not terminate at the seem of the bumper. They should continue on past the seem of the bumper one or two rows.

I thought about that, but did not know how it would look terminated on the bumper where there is no line. I figured if I did it the way you mention then someone else would say I should have done the entire back of the car, but that would not work either because of the COBRA lettering.

So, either way I was going to get opinions that differ from what I did and that is fine. I do not expect everyone to like it.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Looks great man...it's different but pretty sweet!
BTW, what rotors are those, zinc coated?

These are the stock 14 inch Alcon rotors that come with the Alcon kit from Roush performance. I have no idea if they are zinc coated, but if I had to guess I would say they are not zinc coated.

Thanks for your comments.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
You know, I just looked at the pics again, I like it, looks damn Sharp and classy too.
No way that is ricer!

black 10th vert

Established Member
Yes, I did ask and so long as you guys are not rude you will not have any issues with me.

Yes, I have heard that some of you Cobra purist are not thrilled about painting a rare car. However, not all the cars are going to survive (i.e. wrecks) and some owners are not happy with just lowering it and throwing on some different wheels. Also, what is your take on the guys who put on Whipples or turbos??? Don't tell me they can come off, because the car can be repainted back to silver again.

Yes, I have heard the spoiler comment. Again I like the Roush one better and feel the factory Cobra spoiler is boring and looks like a lump sitting on top of the deck lid (just my opinion). I like the Roush wheels and got a deal on them. Also, there are VERY few Cobras out there running Roush wheels, so I think it adds to my uniqeness.

Thanks for your comments:beer:

I totally agree on the spoiler comment. That is one of the only things that I honestly don't like about these cars. It looks very much like a big block of styrofoam was thrown on the trunk as an afterthought, then they ran out of time, and just molded them in plastic to get 'r done.:rollseyes In the case of your car, I think that I personally would have deleted the wing altogether, because that paint job would really look sweet on a wingless setup. Once again, my opinion only, but the car looks great as it is. I'm sure you expected the "ricer" comments, and similar, if you have been around this board for awhile. Here ONLY engine mods, and custom wheels are acceptable mods...:rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread