03 Cobra build with 9.6cr

wht03cobruh

This is my first post so excuse me for any errors, these forums have helped me a lot but now I guess it's time to post for myself.

I'm putting my car back together but have taken a hold for deployment so I'm looking at new options. I have already 9.6:1 compression CP pistons. I have a Fore triple hat with 2 ford gt supercar pumps and I'm getting Fore fuel rails and 83# injectors and planning on running a dual fpdm setup for it. As far as I know near me is only 93 but e85 might be an option later.

I currently have the stock eaton but I'm looking for something else now and need help in knowing what will work well with my raised cr. I was leaning towards a 2.6h kenne bell for the price and size but now I'm thinking something maybe a bit bigger also I've heard the kb gets hot quickly. Any input will be appreciated and my apologies if something similar has been posted before.

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
2.3tvs or 2.3 whipple will really scream, and if you are limited to 93 then they are your best bet. The bigger blowers like to spin, and with a high compression engine(9.6 isn't high but on a boosted pump gas car its up there) your going to have to keep the boost lower on pump gas. If you were planning on running e85 only then it would be a different story. anything bigger then those 2.3's with your set up will not be very efficient

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
If all you going to run is 93 that tvs 2.3 is the best choice but if you think you will get e85 then I would say whipple 2.9. I'm building a engine with 11.1 and a whipple 2.9 but I have a gas station about 5 miles from my house. I don't like the kenne bell 2.6 but that's just my opinion.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Sounds advice ahead. One of the 2.3 blowers (Whipple or TVS) will be perfect for you on pump gas. Even with stock 8.5:1 CR you can't get the full potential out of a 2.9 Whipple on pump gas. You really need to spin those and go with E85 or some other fuel that's better than pump.

Of course you look at things like adding water/meth injection or adding torco and running a 2.9 with a bit of boost and timing if your intent is to get E85 one day. If you're going to be on pump gas long term I still say go 2.3.

I ran my 2.9 on pump gas initially with the stock 3.5 upper pulley and saw 20 lbs of boost. The low and mid range was so flat compare to my pullied and ported Eaton prior. I was however at the limits of the 91 gas. My Vampire anti-knock was starting to slightly activate and pull timing from detonation. I then added w/m injection and went with a 3.0 pulley and turned up the timing and the car really woke up. I was heading for E85 in the future though. Had I stuck to pump gas a 2.3 would have fit the bill.

wht03cobruh

Thank you. Do you know what anybody is running as far as max boost with similar compression on pump? Also how effective is the vampire anti knock at keeping an engine safe? I've heard good things.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Thank you. Do you know what anybody is running as far as max boost with similar compression on pump? Also how effective is the vampire anti knock at keeping an engine safe? I've heard good things.

Remember boost is a measure of restriction so different exhausts and engine combos will yield different boost numbers for the same HP numbers. Don't go strictly on boost. Also remember it's a balancing act. You can add to much boost and pull timing or reduce boost and add timing (more efficient).

The Vampire's are amazing and will let you dial in your combo to the max and prevent you from detonating and hurting the engine if things try and go beyond the limits.

wht03cobruh

Thank you and yeah all I have is shortys cause I didn't want to get another mid pipe. My tuner said about 13-14psi will be fine with my compression and to my knowledge he's really good. And the vampire sounds great then. Think you can point me in the direction for it?

It seems like from what I've read through search that the vmp will work well with mostly pump gas engines and since it's smaller my lower boost will be more efficient.

Will adding meth later on allow for more boost due to its cooling effects?

s351

Established Member
Not on a pd blower, all's the meth will do is add octane, no real cooling benefit. The added octane will allow either more boost or more timing.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Thank you and yeah all I have is shortys cause I didn't want to get another mid pipe. My tuner said about 13-14psi will be fine with my compression and to my knowledge he's really good. And the vampire sounds great then. Think you can point me in the direction for it?

It seems like from what I've read through search that the vmp will work well with mostly pump gas engines and since it's smaller my lower boost will be more efficient.

Will adding meth later on allow for more boost due to its cooling effects?

As mentioned above you won't get any cooling from meth but you'll get an octane boost which of course allows more boost and or timing.
PM me on the Vampire.

Users who are viewing this thread