02 GT Built/Blown fuel pump issues?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I was hoping I could slap in a single aviator/bap now, and when I purchase the cobra tank/hats buy an additional aviator to put in it.

You can go that route. I never messed with the Aviators. I went from the termi pumps to the GT pumps. I was around 500rwhp on a mustang dyno and was at 95% duty cycle. I have the wire upgrade and stock FPDM.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
You can go that route. I never messed with the Aviators. I went from the termi pumps to the GT pumps. I was around 500rwhp on a mustang dyno and was at 95% duty cycle. I have the wire upgrade and stock FPDM.

Got it, thanks!

Any reason people choose the GT's over the Aviators? Everything i've looked at shows the Aviators flow more...

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Thanks for solid info! It looks like that is my best plan of action.

Another question though. If the aviator is a direct drop in for my GT, are twin Aviators direct drop ins for a twin cobra hat/tank?
Yes twin Aviators,Focus' and GT pumps fit in the stock 03/04 hat without any problems and fpdm's don't increase voltage to the pumps that's what the BAP does

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Bump TTT, anybody see any issue with slapping in a single aviator, BAP, and wire upgrade for now, then later switching to a cobra tank/hat with dual aviators?

Stanger00

Established Member
^ This.

You should get a 10% overdrive and a 2.9" pulley on that V1 if you want to get close to 500. You will have to max out the blower if you want to touch 500 un-ported PI heads. You will definitely need a intercooler because that blower will be pushing nothing but hot air once it gets into the 50k+ rpm range.

I know because I just went through this before I had my motor built. Will be hard to crest 500 with un-ported PI heads. I thought it wouldnt be an issue since most people pick up 40-50 hp with a good blower cam. With a forged bottom end most pick up 30-40 hp. Even with the big number gains that would of left me at 490 hp with 15lbs of boost and I have a SI upgraded vortech headunit. I think 17 psi would be the ticket but I cant run that much boost with 91 octane, sigh.

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
exactly what i needed to know, thanks fellas!

intercooler is next big item on the list for sure!

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought a 20$ OBDII bluetooth adapter and torque for my android tablet and was able to datalog. The fuel pump definitely maxes out, so i'll have to get it replaced and see where i'm at.

Stanger00

Established Member
I just seen a thread and a guy was @ 80% DC with a single focus pump with KB BAP. The car made 460hp.

Edit: I'll sell you my focus pump and BAP for 150. The BAP has the pressure switch but no dial. I've had them both since new. The BAP doesn't have the voltage adjust but you won't need it anyway.

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I just seen a thread and a guy was @ 80% DC with a single focus pump with KB BAP. The car made 460hp.

Edit: I'll sell you my focus pump and BAP for 150. The BAP has the pressure switch but no dial. I've had them both since new. The BAP doesn't have the voltage adjust but you won't need it anyway.

Im interested if the focus pump is a drop in for my mustang gt, and for dual cobra hat...

Stanger00

Established Member
Its a direct drop-in for the single hat but not for the dual cobra hat. It fits the cobra hat but the electrical connectors are different. I had the focus pump installed in my 2000 mustang gt fuel tank. Took me longer to jack the car up then it took to drop the tank and plug in the focus pump. I just upgraded to a 03 cobra tank with division x hat.

I also have a dual cobra hat with stock cobra pumps, I'll sell for $120. No fuel level sending unit though. Only threw this out there if your interested in running a dual pump set up in your GT tank.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Well hell, too many options! Lol.

I think the single focus would work and the ill just go full return style for the next stage upgrade...

Pm sent

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Got a video of the current setup acting funky while cruising this weekend.

This is me going along and it spikes when I press the go-pedal. Then I hold in the clutch and do a rev at the end. When I accelerate it holds steady at 40psi.
[youtube_browser]9h-G6VhmqJQ[/youtube_browser]

Users who are viewing this thread