02 GT Built/Blown fuel pump issues?

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, i'm still trying to get this thing straightened out. Below is a thread about my MAF maxing out, but I'm still having the same issue.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...t-built-blown-maxing-out-maf-suggestions.html

Tuner installed a new MAF and got it tuned, but i'm still losing power after 5500rpm. I now have a fuel psi guage installed and can see it does act odd.

At idle it sits around 30 and fluctuates. Going down the road it will come up to around a steady 40, and if I floor it the pressure goes up with revs.

Now to me this either says its a voltage issue and more rpm=more voltage=more psi, OR it has a boost referenced regulator installed and it is acting wonky. Tuner suspects its just a bad pump, cracked line, etc...

It appears the previous owner replaced the stock pump with a 255 walbro, but i'm not precisely sure what was done.

My question is what is the best method to proceed? Drop everything and check the pump for issues, maybe replace with another one? Go ahead and get a dual pump hat and install twin pumps? Save up for the full return-style system? My goal is 500hp until Im ready to build a trans/rearend, but after that i'll up the boost, so I dont want to be buying things twice, and on the other hand I want to drive it safely while I save up for those items.

Thanks! :beer:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
if your running an electric gauge with a sending unit the needle does tend to bounce around a bit which is common with a returnless fuel system since it's pulse modulated, I wouldn't worry too much about that. You need to do what I just did scrap your stock tank and hat and go with 03/04 Cobra parts, throw some twin aviators or GT pumps in with a modified fpdm/wire upgrade and you'll be all good! And not knocking your tuner but my first setup with a single Aviator and BAP maxed out at just under 500RW at 5500rpms, couldn't do a full pull the duty cycle was 100%. Did he even datalog your pumps duty cycle? What size injectors do you have?

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
what is the hp limit for dual pumps? I dont want to throw them in only to replace them later on. Also, what all is required to do them? Dual fpdms, wire upgrade, dual hat, and?

Im running 42lb injectors now, but have 60's if/when i need them.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
look for a 03/04 dual hat, they pop up all the time on here and corral, you should be able to pick one up without pumps in it for about $100-$125! I'd avoid doing twin fpdm's unless you have an aftermarket hat, a single modified is good. Twin GT's with a BAP can support over 600 easy! Sell those 42's and run 60's!

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Is the 03/04 stocker a dual hat? I never realized that if so. So cobra tank and hat. What else do I need to make that work? Fpdm? Bap? Wire upgrades? What about fuel lines? Then gt pumps I assume. Why not focus or aviators??

Thanks for any/all help!

Stanger00

Established Member
Stock 03/04 Cobra hat should only run in the 60-80 range without level units. Stock 03/04 Cobra hat with pumps should be in the 120-140 range again without the level unit.

In a couple weeks I will have a cobra hat with stock pumps for sale. I bought the complete tank out of a wrecked Cobra back in July the car worked till it was totaled. Only selling because I ended up getting a division x hat since I will be running dual FPDMs. I will be using stock lines and stock rails and am expecting to run about 550 hp through my auto.

All the OP really needs is to verify the pump that is in the tank and then add a BAP. He should be running out of fuel in the 420-430ish range especially with 14lbs of boost. I dont see the V1 vortech coming close to 500 with 14lbs of boost, maybe 450 and a BAP with SVT focus pump is a proven setup albeit frugal. I needed a 20 amp BAP on my SVT focus pump and my car only makes 400 hp.

Stanger00

Established Member
^ just curious why you say to avoid dual FPDM's?

Probably because its expensive. I bought the dual FPDM wire kit from lethal. Got a freebie FPDM with my 500 dollar complete 03 Cobra tank. Then I had to buy the division x hat 380 and then there were teh 2 GT pumps I also bought. Expensive shit. But should be good to go without having to resort to a BAP till mid 600's :rockon: unless I go E-85 :bash:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
^ just curious why you say to avoid dual FPDM's?

Drilling a hole in the top of the stock 03/04 hat to run additional wires has proved to be a pita for many guys, you run into sealing and leak issues, check engine lites from the evap system etc.. I was gonna do it but after researching a single modifed from Derek (Black306) is the ticket:rockon: In all the searching if done I've never seen an 03/04 hat without pumps for $60? Usually about $100

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Can I just swap to a single ford GT pump until im ready to go twins? They are 265lph, so its a marginal change. Would my stock fpdm handle it?

Stanger00

Established Member
Drilling a hole in the top of the stock 03/04 hat to run additional wires has proved to be a pita for many guys, you run into sealing and leak issues, check engine lites from the evap system etc.. I was gonna do it but after researching a single modifed from Derek (Black306) is the ticket:rockon: In all the searching if done I've never seen an 03/04 hat without pumps for $60? Usually about $100

I should of done the same to save me some coin. With the modified FPDM do you have to run a BAP? Or do you just upgrade the wire from the FPDM to the pumps and the power wire from the battery to the FPDM?

I only looked for cobra hats in July and I seen a couple in the 60 dollar range. They were missing stuff though. Sweet that I know I can put mine up for sale for a little bit more cash now especially since the only thing that will be taken off is the fuel level sending unit.

Oh OP a single 255lph pump is not enough to feed your motor. You need a 20 amp BAP. Your tuner should know this already.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I should of done the same to save me some coin. With the modified FPDM do you have to run a BAP? Or do you just upgrade the wire from the FPDM to the pumps and the power wire from the battery to the FPDM?

I only looked for cobra hats in July and I seen a couple in the 60 dollar range. They were missing stuff though. Sweet that I know I can put mine up for sale for a little bit more cash now especially since the only thing that will be taken off is the fuel level sending unit.

Oh OP a single 255lph pump is not enough to feed your motor. You need a 20 amp BAP. Your tuner should know this already.
The great thing about Derek's modified fpdm's is there plug and play, just take your stock one out and put his in. I'm gonna re-dyno mine in a couple weeks to check the duty cycle on the pumps, I have my BAP wired with quick release connectors so I'm gonna do pulls without it to see how much room I have fuel volume wise, but I'll most likely retain the BAP so I know the pumps are seeing 16+volts!:rockon: The wire upgrade will consist of 8 gauge from the distribution block under the hood to the fpdm.

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
maybe but you still might need a BAP

Then how about a single aviator? They show to be 340lph.

*edit* or the single 400lph walbro?

Im not trying to cheap out here, but if there is a simple solution to get it fixed now, AND allow future upgrade then id prefer to do that...

Thanks again for your input!

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member
With a 4V it's doable, I'm over 500 with 13lbs and plenty of others are too, a 2V will need more mods to reach that level

For a 2 valve with stock heads and cams it is tough to crest the 500 mark with 14lbs. The V1 doesnt flow as much as the V2s and those usually need to crank 16lbs to make it close to 500.

Can I just swap to a single ford GT pump until im ready to go twins? They are 265lph, so its a marginal change. Would my stock fpdm handle it?

The GT pump is a great idea but you will have to cut some wires and add a spade connector. Not hard but just extra steps over a SVT Focus pump that just plugs right in.

255 or a 265 and maybe a 310lph pump you will probably still need a 20amp BAP. You will only need to modify your FPDM if you are running more than 1 fuel pump. The rule is 1 FPDM per pump unless you modify your FPDM.

skidad62

Established Member
Posted in your other thread. Had the same issues as you and fixed them.

mmr1000029.jpg

Brutal Metal

Established Member
^^^ did you buy your car with the supercharger already installed? my guess is it has a Focus pump, the previous owner probably made a mistake naming it?

Users who are viewing this thread