02 GT Built/Blown fuel pump issues?

Stanger00

Established Member
Seen your reply, thanks!

It sounds like I might have the wrong walbro in mine and need to drop the tank and verify. I hate living in an apartment!

I dropped my tank in my apartment parking spot, lol.

+1 one on the green top for the focus unit.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member

01yellercobra

Established Member
The GT pump is a great idea but you will have to cut some wires and add a spade connector. Not hard but just extra steps over a SVT Focus pump that just plugs right in.

When I installed my GT pumps I popped the connectors out of the plastic housing and connected them to the pumps. They were the right size. I don't know if the single pump use the same connector but it's worth checking before cutting wires.

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
Probably because its expensive. I bought the dual FPDM wire kit from lethal. Got a freebie FPDM with my 500 dollar complete 03 Cobra tank. Then I had to buy the division x hat 380 and then there were teh 2 GT pumps I also bought. Expensive shit. But should be good to go without having to resort to a BAP till mid 600's :rockon: unless I go E-85 :bash:

Drilling a hole in the top of the stock 03/04 hat to run additional wires has proved to be a pita for many guys, you run into sealing and leak issues, check engine lites from the evap system etc.. I was gonna do it but after researching a single modifed from Derek (Black306) is the ticket:rockon: In all the searching if done I've never seen an 03/04 hat without pumps for $60? Usually about $100

agreed it's expensive if you go that route. I'm planning on picking up a fpdm from a junkyard and wiring it myself. I've got a cobra hat that I'm going to use as well. I not too worried about the drilling of the hat...I've been reassured that we'll be able to get it to seal. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any other reasons. thanks for the clarification.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
When I installed my GT pumps I popped the connectors out of the plastic housing and connected them to the pumps. They were the right size. I don't know if the single pump use the same connector but it's worth checking before cutting wires.
Can you explain this in further detail please? I don't understand what your saying?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
agreed it's expensive if you go that route. I'm planning on picking up a fpdm from a junkyard and wiring it myself. I've got a cobra hat that I'm going to use as well. I not too worried about the drilling of the hat...I've been reassured that we'll be able to get it to seal. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any other reasons. thanks for the clarification.

I have a spare fpdm with the hardware bolts used to piggyback on top of the factory one, if interested PM me

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok theres alot of information flying around in here.

Can I run a single aviator pump with my stock hat, stock tank, and stock fpdm? If not what do I need to run it?

OR, what would it take to run the single 400lph walbro that just came out?

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member
You have something against hooking up a BAP? That's all that you need if you already have a 255lph pump installed

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
You have something against hooking up a BAP? That's all that you need if you already have a 255lph pump installed

I dont, I just wasnt sure if thats the best way to proceed for now?

So just get a 20a BAP and throw it on, and verify that I have the correct pump already installed?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The Aviator pump is a DIRECT replacement in the stock hat it has the same plug connector and yes you don't have to change the fpdm

Stanger00

Established Member
That KB article was for cobra dual fuel pump applications. Not us single pump guys. You will not have to change fuel pump fuses. I run a 20amp BAP with a 5 psi switch. I have it hooked up before my fpdm. The BAP turns on at 5 pounds of boost. My car ran out of pump at 5300 and it was only around 408 hp but my car is a auto. 30 minutes after a BAP install my tune was perfect.

But if you have a extra 400-600 to spare you're better off finding a 03-04 cobra tank and hat set up. I will have a hat with 2 pumps for sale real soon. I will even have a single svt focus pump and kb 20 amp BAP for sale at the same time.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been reading my ass off on this topic and think i've concluded what I need to do.

A cobra tank is a must have no matter what. So I might as well buy a complete cobra tank, hat, and pumps. Then do a wire upgrade and BAP and call it good for 500+hp. Sound good?
532dd66d_mind-blown.jpeg

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member
What I did but I have lofty hp goals and went overkill return less setup on my car.

I still think you will need a modified FPDM to make sure both pumps are being fed enough volts. You should know more about this then I do by now. I will pm you when I put the cobra hat and stock cobra pumps for sale.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok here is a question.

If a Modified FPDM and a BAP both increase voltage to the pump, how do they work together? Or is it a one or the other type of deal?

White04GT

Established Member
Just go stock 03-04 Cobra pump if your goal is 500hp. I had a 03-04 cobra pump 60# injectors and a KB BAP and maxed out my fuel at 603rwhp.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Just go stock 03-04 Cobra pump if your goal is 500hp. I had a 03-04 cobra pump 60# injectors and a KB BAP and maxed out my fuel at 603rwhp.

Thanks for solid info! It looks like that is my best plan of action.

Another question though. If the aviator is a direct drop in for my GT, are twin Aviators direct drop ins for a twin cobra hat/tank?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Thanks for solid info! It looks like that is my best plan of action.

Another question though. If the aviator is a direct drop in for my GT, are twin Aviators direct drop ins for a twin cobra hat/tank?

If you're looking to upgrade the pumps I would just go straight to the GT pumps.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
If you're looking to upgrade the pumps I would just go straight to the GT pumps.

I was hoping I could slap in a single aviator/bap now, and when I purchase the cobra tank/hats buy an additional aviator to put in it.

Users who are viewing this thread