02 2V GT VS 98 Cobra

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
The 2v cars just have a bad name because 95% of the people who own them can't drive them. Stock they're capable of high 13 quarters, stick some tires on and some bolt ons you've easily got a low 13 high 12 car. Now that's nothing to brag about, but for what they are they're very respectable.

That's what I would think and what I have read on here.

However I have never seen anything like that on the streets or at the track. Every 99-04 GT I have ran into or seen run at the track seems to run like a dog whether its a few bolt on's or full bolt on's. (FI GT's seem to run good though)

100% of the new edge GT's (5 speed or auto) I ran in my 01 Cobra when it was just bolt on's was a 2-3 car win from a dig and somewhat worse from a roll. (3-4).

That's why I never understood why people compared N/A 2v's to 4v's. To me, if all things were equal. There is a marginal difference.

But like you said, 95% probably cannot drive

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
haha....cool story bro, you have flowmasters i bet? :lol1: remember, your still you guy who thought a 2002 gt with a PI 2v was a RARE car bwwaahahaha

Not sure if you realize what he's doing lol, take your time.

Good kill, sounds fishy but good kill. Anything can happen on the street. Should have taken your terminator or foxbody, put more lengths with the terminator make him feel bad.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
haha....cool story bro, you have flowmasters i bet? :lol1: remember, your still you guy who thought a 2002 gt with a PI 2v was a RARE car bwwaahahaha
it is a rare care your title even agrees with me, if every 02 GT came with a 2v you wouldnt have included it in the title would you? that would be stupid
also flowmasters were featured as an OEM muffler design for this car as opposed to the fart cans you put on

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
That's why I never understood why people compared N/A 2v's to 4v's. To me, if all things were equal. There is a marginal difference.

They're compared because any pre 03/04 4V will have the same limits as a 99-04 2V. The safe limit for both of them seem to be 450rwhp. Of course there are examples of both that have made more. Anything after that and both should be built to handle the extra power.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
What kind of numbers do you think a manual 2v GT with full bolt ons, drag radials, and Comp Cams should run? I knew a guy with those mods that ran 8.30s with it.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
He didnt say anything about heads guys, if your talking just cams probably 270 tops. But yes heads and cam cars pretty routinely make over 300.

My car with just an O/R prochamber as the only mod ran an 8.8 in the 1/8th and a 13.7 in the quarter. On street tires only sixty footing a very bland 2.0. We're talking stock airbox, stock tune, stock crappy shifter lol

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

Established Member
He didnt say anything about heads guys, if your talking just cams probably 270 tops. But yes heads and cam cars pretty routinely make over 300.

How is that possible? i though full bolt/tuned on GT's make around 270?

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
How is that possible? i though full bolt/tuned on GT's make around 270?

I typically thought it was more in the 250 area for just bolt ons and tunes to be honest. I'm not saying it's not possible either way, I usually try to kep my numbers conservative. Less disappointment if people are going of them, but the cam could make all the difference. All to often people put a cam in for the sound instead of peak performance.

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

Established Member
I typically thought it was more in the 250 area for just bolt ons and tunes to be honest. I'm not saying it's not possible either way, I usually try to kep my numbers conservative. Less disappointment if people are going of them, but the cam could make all the difference. All to often people put a cam in for the sound instead of peak performance.

I feel you, I remember when I got my car dyno'd people were telling me with it being an auto it would dyno around 220. It did 234, only mod was welded in flowmasters (don't hate cheesySLOBRA lol). I ran a few 5 speed gts and the runs were pretty even:shrug:

I'm actually thinking of getting rid of the SRT8 and getting back into a 99-04 2V, not really for the performance but because it'll be a nice DD and sounds GREAT:rockon:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Haha and you know you were like heck yes it did more than they said it would, it's a small victory inside for everyone I think. That's why I try to stay lower with my numbers. I've definitely noticed that even though the 99-04 2v's are really starting to age they are still some of the best sounding affordable cars out there. I'm currently looking for another to DD as well! Not sure if I could ever step down from an SRT8 though lol

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
The 2v cars just have a bad name because 95% of the people who own them can't drive them. Stock they're capable of high 13 quarters, stick some tires on and some bolt ons you've easily got a low 13 high 12 car. Now that's nothing to brag about, but for what they are they're very respectable.

It's a number of things.

The early 2v's were dogs
There is way too many variations on the New Edge GTs
The quick ones are Coupe/Manuals
the slow ones are Verts/Auto

you just don't know which one you are going to meet.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
It's a number of things.

The early 2v's were dogs
There is way too many variations on the New Edge GTs
The quick ones are Coupe/Manuals
the slow ones are Verts/Auto

you just don't know which one you are going to meet.

Oh yes totally agree. Non PI 2v's were definitely dogs.

blkvenm97

Established Member
to the op....I don't dought you can smoke a bolt on 2v in your car because I currently have a bolt on mach and used to own a 4.10 geared light bolt on (similar to yours) 97 cobra and I used to kill gts as well...with that being said your story does sound somewhat exagerated. I could see you putting 4 cars on it...but him having the hit, getting out 3 cars then you stopping his pull, catching him, then putting 4 more lengths on him from 55 to 110ish? that don't sound very believable. If you lined up from a dig I can easily see 4 plus cars on your end no problem. My cobra had k&n drop in, offroad h, flows (don't hate lol) and 4.10s, stock tune, etc.... I used to murder stockish gts from a dig or roll and even the bolt on ones got shit on pretty badly. But like I said your story does sound exagerated. either way good kill keep representing the 4vs!

Kiohtee

Established Member
Full bolt-on and cammed 2Vs don't make 270rwhp lol. Just a FYI.

Full bolt-on 2Vs make anywhere from 265-285rwhp (depending on trans, condition of engine, DA, etc.). Add cams and you're looking at 285-305rwhp or so (again, depending on variables and what the car made with bolt-ons). Bolt-ons with slicks and a decent driver will run low 8s (1/8th mile obviously), possibly high 7s with good weather and a great driver.

cheesySLOBRA

Established Member
to the op....I don't dought you can smoke a bolt on 2v in your car because I currently have a bolt on mach and used to own a 4.10 geared light bolt on (similar to yours) 97 cobra and I used to kill gts as well...with that being said your story does sound somewhat exagerated. I could see you putting 4 cars on it...but him having the hit, getting out 3 cars then you stopping his pull, catching him, then putting 4 more lengths on him from 55 to 110ish? that don't sound very believable. If you lined up from a dig I can easily see 4 plus cars on your end no problem. My cobra had k&n drop in, offroad h, flows (don't hate lol) and 4.10s, stock tune, etc.... I used to murder stockish gts from a dig or roll and even the bolt on ones got shit on pretty badly. But like I said your story does sound exagerated. either way good kill keep representing the 4vs!

and i agree, it sounds weird...but i cant help it, i will have to say though his hit really wasnt a "HIT", he just made lots of noise but didnt move much LOL...i think it wasnt the strongest 2v out there

Users who are viewing this thread